PCR test policy at border ‘actively being looked at,’ Tam says

Fouremco

For the first time, news media are reporting today that Dr. Theresa Tam has indicated that the need for PCR testing to enter Canada is "actively being looked at". With the pressure being exerted on the GOC as we get closer to the land border opening next Monday, there is particular focus on the requirement for short visits and shopping trips across the border. Hopefully the review of the current policy and the underlying rationale will result in change in the very near future, and will include flying back to Canada, not just land crossings.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pcr-test-requirements-at-the-border-need-to-be-re-examined-tam-1.5653997 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, muffin said:

Next hope is for Usa to accept us without any testing going TO the USA!

I agree with you but I can live with this since you only need tested if you are flying to the U.S. - not to drive across the border.   Also, the U.S. rapid antigen test is not expensive unlike the PCR test required in Canada.  Walmart are advertising the antigen test for under $20 CAD.  I think at some point, the same will happen and it will eventually be eliminated too. 

17 minutes ago, hancogran said:

I agree with you but I can live with this since you only need tested if you are flying to the U.S. - not to drive across the border.   Also, the U.S. rapid antigen test is not expensive unlike the PCR test required in Canada.  Walmart are advertising the antigen test for under $20 CAD.  I think at some point, the same will happen and it will eventually be eliminated too. 

I've no issue with an quick and cheap antigen test requirement for flights to or from the US, recognizing that, in time, this too is likely to pass.

• Like 3

They are cheap unless you live in BC! Somehow life labs got an exclusive on the rapid tests and they run in the 149$ range. No Costco, no shoppers,  no London , no option except for one I heard of in Vancouver which gives  almost every traveller no true option.  Why does driving make you less of a threat than flying when all are vaccinated ?   Will wait and see! 

8 minutes ago, muffin said:

They are cheap unless you live in BC! Somehow life labs got an exclusive on the rapid tests and they run in the 149$ range. No Costco, no shoppers,  no London , no option except for one I heard of in Vancouver which gives  almost every traveller no true option.  Why does driving make you less of a threat than flying when all are vaccinated ?   Will wait and see! 

You're right of course, I should have noted that antigen tests aren't cheap in all regions of the country.

16 minutes ago, muffin said:

Wow... I didn't realize there would be that much difference in test prices between the provinces.  I know things are more expensive in BC but that's just too much difference.  Yes, hopefully that requirement will be eliminated soon too.   Needing a test to go to the U.S. as well as a test to return to Canada really jacks up the price of the cruise. 😞

Although I would love it to be dropped for all travel across the border I would like to see it dropped for those driving across the border.

I think that might be the way it's going since the U.S. dropped the antigen test requirement.

We've chatted about politics before and I think it would make sense since the U.S. dropped it's requirement for land crossing that Canada would do the same.

It benefits the U.S. as more Canadians would go across for weekend/day trips.

• Like 1