Pre-Cruise Hotel, Transportation in San Francisco

Cruzinnana47

We're booked on the Ruby May, 2022 for the Inside Passage, departing SFO.  Flying out from MA the day before. Trying to narrow down choices for transportation from airport and hotel near Fisherman's Wharf.  Between Hotel RIU Plaza and Holiday Inn Express in that area.  Also looked at Super Shuttle from airport.

Currently have transfers & hotel (Mark Hopkins) booked through Princess, but it's quite expensive.  Thought we could probably do a lot better on our own to save $$.

Suggestions?  TIA.

1 hour ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Currently have transfers & hotel (Mark Hopkins) booked through Princess, but it's quite expensive.  Thought we could probably do a lot better on our own to save $$.

If you are looking to have an "experience" in San Francisco (as opposed to just passing through) the Mark Hopkins is going to be vastly nicer than the other two.

I've always thought the cruise arranged hotels are on the expensive side too-- maybe a price compromise is just book the Mark Hopkins or Fairmont across the street (one of my personal faves) direct with the hotel for less and take an Uber from the airport?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If you are looking to have an "experience" in San Francisco (as opposed to just passing through) the Mark Hopkins is going to be vastly nicer than the other two.

I've always thought the cruise arranged hotels are on the expensive side too-- maybe a price compromise is just book the Mark Hopkins or Fairmont across the street (one of my personal faves) direct with the hotel for less and take an Uber from the airport?

Thanks...that is a consideration, also.  I did check price for direct booking with Mark Hopkins and it's about half the price Princess was charging (of course, transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to port were also included).  Will look into what an Uber or Lyft might cost.

24 minutes ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Will look into what an Uber or Lyft might cost.

Uber from SFO to Nob Hill will be at or just below $40. Uber from Nob Hill to the pier will be about $10 total. With the hotel half off its a heck of a deal compared to what Princess is offering for a tiny bit of effort. 

11 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Uber from SFO to Nob Hill will be at or just below $40. Uber from Nob Hill to the pier will be about $10 total. With the hotel half off its a heck of a deal compared to what Princess is offering for a tiny bit of effort. 

Thanks for the info. on fares.  Agree, this option will sure cost us less!   The good thing is, it's easy to remove the hotel/transfer pkg. off our booking.  Have 3 months to go until final payment due.

On 11/11/2021 at 7:23 AM, Cruzinnana47 said:

Currently have transfers & hotel (Mark Hopkins) booked through Princess, but it's quite expensive.  Thought we could probably do a lot better on our own to save $$. Suggestions?  TIA.

I am with Princeton123111, if you can stay in the Mark Hopkins, do it. Even if you book it on your own (or the Fairmont), these are quintessential San Francisco hotels.

PS the locals hate it when the city is referred to as "SFO" or "San Fran" and heaven forbid "Frisco".

16 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I am with Princeton123111, if you can stay in the Mark Hopkins, do it. Even if you book it on your own (or the Fairmont), these are quintessential San Francisco hotels.

PS the locals hate it when the city is referred to as "SFO" or "San Fran" and heaven forbid "Frisco".

Thanks for your input...and will keep in mind not to offend the locals...LOL...