Cancelling One or Two Tickets on a Reservation of Eight People?????

teacherman

I am taking the family on a long delayed vacation.  I am also booking a Delta reservation for 8 people and we are all on the same flights.   If something should occur and some of us not be able to go, can those people just call and cancel their individual ticket?   If so, can they re-book another flight at a different time in the future?  This happened to us back when the Covid first hit and cruises were cancelled, but we cancelled the entire reservation and Delta nicely refunded my money.   Or should I book separate  reservations for each couple on the trip?  Each couple buys their own travel insurance.  Any information is welcome, especially if this has previously happened to you.

21 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Thank you.   Can I still do all of the reservations and pay for them with my Delta card?

There should be no restriction on using your card to pay for someone else's ticket. Just make sure the passenger name matches their ID. 

3 hours ago, teacherman said:

I am taking the family on a long delayed vacation.  I am also booking a Delta reservation for 8 people and we are all on the same flights.   If something should occur and some of us not be able to go, can those people just call and cancel their individual ticket?   If so, can they re-book another flight at a different time in the future?  This happened to us back when the Covid first hit and cruises were cancelled, but we cancelled the entire reservation and Delta nicely refunded my money.   Or should I book separate  reservations for each couple on the trip?  Each couple buys their own travel insurance.  Any information is welcome, especially if this has previously happened to you.

I'm thinking individually just due to how airline pricing buckets work.

Bucket A has 2 tix available at $299pp

Bucket B has 4 tix available at $349pp

Bucket C has 6 tix available at $399pp

and bucket D has 8 tix available at $550pp

and you make a reservation for 8 tix,,, you're going to end up buying all tix at the $550pp rate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I'm thinking individually just due to how airline pricing buckets work.

Bucket A has 2 tix available at $299pp

Bucket B has 4 tix available at $349pp

Bucket C has 6 tix available at $399pp

and bucket D has 8 tix available at $550pp

and you make a reservation for 8 tix,,, you're going to end up buying all tix at the $550pp rate.

Usually this is true...but not always. I tried checking flights for our extended family of 6 and it made no difference in the bottom line pricing.

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Usually this is true...but not always. I tried checking flights for our extended family of 6 and it made no difference in the bottom line pricing.

Because there were six seats in the cheapest bucket.  Sometime so, sometimes not.

Unless you have access to a specialized tool that shows actual inventory in the buckets, you are on a guess.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Because there were six seats in the cheapest bucket.  Sometime so, sometimes not.

Unless you have access to a specialized tool that shows actual inventory in the buckets, you are on a guess.

You assumed I was looking at the cheapest seats...I'm certainly not.

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

You assumed I was looking at the cheapest seats...I'm certainly not.

The rationale applies to more than just coach tickets, as there are various buckets for premium economy and business class as well.

And most complete apologies....I shall remember in the future that you don't buy cheapest seats.

• Haha 4