Unexpected Fees on Excursion Purchase

BeWillie

I booked a couple of items today for Perfect Day at Coco Cay.  It was the Coco Beach Club and also the Balloon Ride.  You can see the prices below.  When I checked out, there was $15.10 of taxes/fees added to the transaction.   You'll see the 2 excursions don't equal the Total Paid amount.  Does anyone know what the reason for the taxes/fees are?  I didn't see any small print about gratuities on either item.

320864844_cococayexcursions.thumb.jpg.de421fcc079280977504e8219c334e7a.jpg

7 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

In the new cruise planner, they are adding 12% tax to all Perfect day excursions including cabanas. 

Thanks!  That would explain the amount.  Are they doing this with excursions at other places in the new cruise planner or just Coco Cay?

Just now, BeWillie said:

Thanks!  That would explain the amount.  Are they doing this with excursions at other places in the new cruise planner or just Coco Cay?

I've only seen it for Coco Cay--it added $48 in taxes to my cabana.  You can see where the 'fine print' is located, it's right before you add it to your cart, but after you have selected it and chose the guest that it's for.

image.thumb.png.b424b6404868f8d7c27deb0256232379.png

3 minutes ago, BeWillie said:

I don’t think so, but I’m not sure.  I have cruises using both the new and old format so it gets confusing. 

So apparently, in early 2020 ish I think, the Bahamas starting charging a 12% VAT tax.  So for things we are buying for Coco Cay, they will have that added to the price now.  If you buy food or drinks on Coco Cay, that will get the VAT added to it as well, in addition to the 18% gratuity.   However, if you have the drink package, the VAT doesn't get added because it's a $0 charge.  Clear as mud?  I did a quick web search and came up with that info from various sources.  Oh, and unlike most countries in Europe were you can submit for a refund of that VAT tax, that's not an option in the Bahamas.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 3