Favorite beach (not beach club) in Cozumel and Costa Maya?

CruiseMelissa

23 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

We would like to go to a beach for a few hours, we don't want to commit to a beach club as we don't need all of the bells and whistles.  Just looking for a nice beach, with a bathroom, that isn't too far from port (walking distance would be great!)  

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean about “ commit”. No need to pre-book and some are PAYG.

In Cozumel - which pier?

Do you require an actual “sandy” beach?

Do you have children in your group?

In Costa Maya - there is only one beach, the length of Mahahual. SOME beach bars are PAYG ( not as many as there used to be).

You will not get a sandy beach within short walking distance at either place.

Edited by c-leg5

8 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Not sure what you mean about “ commit”. No need to pre-book and some are PAYG.

In Cozumel - which pier?

Do you require an actual “sandy” beach?

Do you have children in your group?

In Costa Maya - there is only one beach, the length of Mahahual. SOME beach bars are PAYG ( not as many as there used to be).

You will not get a sandy beach within short walking distance at either place.

I guess it seemed like a lot of work to go and pay for a facility we won't stay too long at.  My daughter has to eat on the ship because of dietary restrictions so we'd only be going for a couple of hours, in between meals.. from my limited research, it didn't seem worth it to pay for a beach club for that long?

Yes to sandy, yes to kids (8 and 11).    Not sure if the pier, it would be a Royal Caribbean ship if that helps?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by CruiseMelissa

6 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

I guess it seemed like a lot of work to go and pay for a facility we won't stay too long at.  My daughter has to eat on the ship because of dietary restrictions so we'd only be going for a couple of hours, in between meals.. from my limited research, it didn't seem worth it to pay for a beach club for that long?

Yes to sandy, yes to kids (8 and 11).    Not sure if the pier, it would be a Royal Caribbean ship if that helps?

Thanks for your help!

Not easy to make suggestions for those criteria. Some compromise would be necessary.

Royal will almost certainly dock at International ( they only use Langosta occasionally for smaller ships and unlikely to be a full liad in the near future). There are no sandy beaches within walking distance - all shore line in this area is ironshore. There are some beach bars north of port (towards town) but not much for children to do unless they would be satisfied snorkeling  and some have rocky sand or man-made beach areas. You will see the names of these using a virtual walk on google maps.

Taxi ride away: the.most budget friendly, with sand, is probably Mr Sanchos. There didn't used to be an entrance fee but you would be expected to purchase snacks or drinks (this is expected at all places where you intend to use restrooms, tables, chairs or loungers). Another possibility to check out would be Uvas which used to have a $15 pass per person to include 30 mins kayak and snorkel tour. They also have sand (some rocks) and pool. Third suggestion would be a driver for 2-3 hours and take a ride to Pueblo del Maiz if you wanted some insight into Mayan culture (although there are some hands-on demonstrations which include tortillas and chocolate so I don’t know if that would be acceptable). There are other sandy beaches but further away or closer places but man-made beaches. I am unaware of any sandy beaches with restrooms and no bar.

In Costa maya you have the port pool (no beach) and aviary at the  port. Or 5 minute taxi ride to Mahahual (one long beach) - some PAYG beach bars such as Tropicante and Krazy Lobster (again some purchases expected relative to your length of stay).There is also an expensive waterpark, if it is open.

HTH

• Thanks 1

With a family and your constraints I would look at Paradise Beach - $5 admission/chair rental, nice beach, HUGE pool, good facilities and great service.  They ask that you spend $10/person which is easy with a couple of cokes/drinks/beers. Current taxi rates will be posted on a board near the cab line for your pier but should be about $15-17 each way (fare covers up to 4 in the cab - if your group is larger your fare will be higher)

15 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Not easy to make suggestions for those criteria. Some compromise would be necessary.

Royal will almost certainly dock at International ( they only use Langosta occasionally for smaller ships and unlikely to be a full liad in the near future). There are no sandy beaches within walking distance - all shore line in this area is ironshore. There are some beach bars north of port (towards town) but not much for children to do unless they would be satisfied snorkeling  and some have rocky sand or man-made beach areas. You will see the names of these using a virtual walk on google maps.

Taxi ride away: the.most budget friendly, with sand, is probably Mr Sanchos. There didn't used to be an entrance fee but you would be expected to purchase snacks or drinks (this is expected at all places where you intend to use restrooms, tables, chairs or loungers). Another possibility to check out would be Uvas which used to have a $15 pass per person to include 30 mins kayak and snorkel tour. They also have sand (some rocks) and pool. Third suggestion would be a driver for 2-3 hours and take a ride to Pueblo del Maiz if you wanted some insight into Mayan culture (although there are some hands-on demonstrations which include tortillas and chocolate so I don’t know if that would be acceptable). There are other sandy beaches but further away or closer places but man-made beaches. I am unaware of any sandy beaches with restrooms and no bar.

In Costa maya you have the port pool (no beach) and aviary at the  port. Or 5 minute taxi ride to Mahahual (one long beach) - some PAYG beach bars such as Tropicante and Krazy Lobster (again some purchases expected relative to your length of stay).There is also an expensive waterpark, if it is open.

HTH

Thank you, great info!

6 hours ago, JohninDC said:

With a family and your constraints I would look at Paradise Beach - $5 admission/chair rental, nice beach, HUGE pool, good facilities and great service.  They ask that you spend $10/person which is easy with a couple of cokes/drinks/beers. Current taxi rates will be posted on a board near the cab line for your pier but should be about $15-17 each way (fare covers up to 4 in the cab - if your group is larger your fare will be higher)

Paradise Beach sounds great, thanks so much, I'll check it out...

24 minutes ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Paradise Beach sounds great, thanks so much, I'll check it out...

I would also recommend Paradise Beach but I was trying to save you the entrance fee for such a short time. 

Maybe have a large breakfast (unless dietary restrictions don’t allow) so you can stretch out your time to 3-3½ hours 

• Like 1

In Costa Maya we went to Tropicante last time we were there.  Short cab ride and is PAYG.  The previous American owner sold to one of his staff and they are open again.  You can find their facebook page and message them to reserve chairs for no charge.

In Cozumel we like Money Bar.  There isn't a sandy beach but there is an entrance to the water and really good snorkeling right out front.  They even have snorkel equipment you can rent for cheap.  The food and beverages are all PAYG.  Food is really good and we can't wait to go back in January.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:01 AM, JohninDC said:

It looks like Paradise Beach has a $60 PP fee for the pool, beach chair and food.  From the looks of the FB page and website I don't see that they let you come in for the $5.00 anymore. Does anyone know if they do?  

2 hours ago, mom22tinks said:

It looks like Paradise Beach has a $60 PP fee for the pool, beach chair and food.  From the looks of the FB page and website I don't see that they let you come in for the $5.00 anymore. Does anyone know if they do?  

Their website states in FAQ:

IS THERE AN ENTRANCE FEE TO PARADISE BEACH? 

If you prefer our A La Carte option we only charge $5usd per person with a minimum consumption of $10usd per person to use our facilities, this includes lounge chairs, umbrellas, pool, free wifi, restrooms and showers.

• Like 1

We were there two weeks ago and did the $5 entry fee. You then just pay as you go for food and drinks and the prices are reasonable. You would pay extra if your daughter wanted to the inflatable water toys,  but depending on her age they are in some deeper water (6-8 feet). The beach is great though for getting in and swimming.

• Like 1

Most of the places mentioned above are beach clubs.  Entrance fee or request to purchase food and drink.  

On Cozumel, Sunset Beach is the closest to all cruise ports for being a "free" beach.  But it's not much of a beach.  However there is free beach access anywhere as required by law. You just can use any facilities at any club and there's limited public facilities.  If you are on a Carnival or Hal or Princess ship docking at Puerta Maya, there's a small beach right there.

At the cruise port in Costa Maya there's a free beach.  Small, and no access to ocean water.  You can take a taxi to Mahahual, where all the places mentioned for Costa Maya are located.  There are strips of sand between clubs that you can access, but again, no public facilities.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Most of the places mentioned above are beach clubs.  Entrance fee or request to purchase food and drink.  

On Cozumel, Sunset Beach is the closest to all cruise ports for being a "free" beach.  But it's not much of a beach.  However there is free beach access anywhere as required by law. You just can use any facilities at any club and there's limited public facilities.  If you are on a Carnival or Hal or Princess ship docking at Puerta Maya, there's a small beach right there.

At the cruise port in Costa Maya there's a free beach.  Small, and no access to ocean water.  You can take a taxi to Mahahual, where all the places mentioned for Costa Maya are located.  There are strips of sand between clubs that you can access, but again, no public facilities.

I think you meant to say: "You just cannot use any facilities at any club and..."

• Like 1

We are also looking for beaches close to where the ship (Caribbean Princess) docks in Cozumel and Costa Rica. We are traveling with a 6 and 8 year old who like to play in the sand.

Entrance fees are not an issue but we are not sure how comfortable we are with the safety of getting into taxis so would prefer walking distance.

4 hours ago, chamima said:

We are also looking for beaches close to where the ship (Caribbean Princess) docks in Cozumel and Costa Rica. We are traveling with a 6 and 8 year old who like to play in the sand.

Entrance fees are not an issue but we are not sure how comfortable we are with the safety of getting into taxis so would prefer walking distance.

Costa Maya not Costa Rica

And , as far as safety, I'm talking about Covid exposure.

Edited by chamima

11 hours ago, chamima said:

Costa Maya not Costa Rica

And , as far as safety, I'm talking about Covid exposure.

Not sure riding in a taxi would be any more dangerous than walking the crowded pier or what you will find on the ship.  Ask the driver to wear a mask and roll the windows down if you are concerned.  The best beach options in both ports will require a taxi.

16 hours ago, chamima said:

In Cozumel, you are required to wear masks off the ship and in port.  This is the regulations in all of Mexico, as I am to understand. Take your kids to Playa Mia with its tons of things for youngsters to do.

In Costa Maya, likewise asked to wear masks everywhere.  Our taxi driver wasn't wearing one but some were.  Just ask the driver to put one on.

A little soapbox...masks for children are not effective, and little efficacy for adults as well.  Re COVID risks, European countries don't require children to wear masks (or quarantine or lockdown from schools) and despite the rise of Delta and Omicron in Europe, NO children has died and few have been hospitalized during all the COVID Era.