P&O amended my cabin allocation

zen56135

I am due to sail with Iona on the 15th January 2022 on a 14 day cruise to the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cadiz and Lisbon.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from P&O indicating that my cabin (which was booked through a select fare) was no longer available and that I was to be moved to an alternative location. The reason given was due to the current health protocols employed by P&O.

Today, I received another e-mail from P&O indicating that I had been moved from deck 14 aft to the front of deck 11. My cabin grading was unchanged at GB.

However, I was concerned that my elderly mother (who is a passenger with me on this trip) would not be able to coup with the long walking distance to the main dining room.

I immediately rang customer services regarding this issue. Initially, they indicated that no other GB cabins were available and that I could not upgrade to a de-luxe cabin in mid ships. After lengthy discussions with customer services. They managed to locate a four beth cabin  on deck 10 aft. This choice is a compromise and I still remain unhappy that my original choice of cabin has been taken away from me.

Unfortunately, the whole episode has left me disillusioned with P&O's attitude to customer service.

Has anyone else received this type of treatment from P&O?

• Like 2

This may well have been as a result of P&O's requirement to block off cabins in case of a covid outbreak and passengers needing quarantined.   Different cruise lines have either blocked off entire decks or sections.   Perhaps someone else on here who has been on a P&O cruise recently can confirm whether the size of a blocked area is dependent on the passenger numbers booked.    In a way, P&O did try to allocate you another cabin within your original grading.

Pleased that a compromise was found, albeit not where you initially hoped it would be.   Have a lovely holiday when it comes round.

• Like 1

The aft GB grade cabins seem to be the ones used for quarantine because they are in a block with fire doors at each end making it easy for security. This also appears to be the best location for mitigating inconvenience to other cabin areas. Not so for you of course but at least they have sorted something out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zen56135 said:

I am due to sail with Iona on the 15th January 2022 on a 14 day cruise to the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cadiz and Lisbon.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from P&O indicating that my cabin (which was booked through a select fare) was no longer available and that I was to be moved to an alternative location. The reason given was due to the current health protocols employed by P&O.

Today, I received another e-mail from P&O indicating that I had been moved from deck 14 aft to the front of deck 11. My cabin grading was unchanged at GB.

However, I was concerned that my elderly mother (who is a passenger with me on this trip) would not be able to coup with the long walking distance to the main dining room.

I immediately rang customer services regarding this issue. Initially, they indicated that no other GB cabins were available and that I could not upgrade to a de-luxe cabin in mid ships. After lengthy discussions with customer services. They managed to locate a four beth cabin  on deck 10 aft. This choice is a compromise and I still remain unhappy that my original choice of cabin has been taken away from me.

Unfortunately, the whole episode has left me disillusioned with P&O's attitude to customer service.

Has anyone else received this type of treatment from P&O?

We have had a similar experience with Ventura, N201.  Again a select fare booked 13 January 2020 whilst onboard. Our move is from C deck, large balcony, to B deck, standard balcony. Because it is a move from aft to mid ships they call it an upgrade. 

We totally understand the need for this for health reasons but don’t understand why they:

a) Didn’t tell us before we paid balance at beginning of October

b) Were still offering C deck cabins, not in aft, online after payment date. 

It had left us feeling duped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smooth seas said:

We have had a similar experience with Ventura, N201.  Again a select fare booked 13 January 2020 whilst onboard. Our move is from C deck, large balcony, to B deck, standard balcony. Because it is a move from aft to mid ships they call it an upgrade. 

We totally understand the need for this for health reasons but don’t understand why they:

a) Didn’t tell us before we paid balance at beginning of October

b) Were still offering C deck cabins, not in aft, online after payment date. 

It had left us feeling duped. 

If C deck balcony cabins are still available have you tried ringing P&O to see if you can move to one of those. If it's in a higher grade you may need to pay the difference unless you are a good negotiator😉, but for the bigger balcony it would still be worthwhile.

Hello all. It was comforting to hear that we are not the only ones to have been given the compulsory move treatment. I immediately complained but was told that their turnaround time for replies is 28 days. I have sent a reminder but nothing heard. Like you we had booked Select, no upgrades etc but P&O said that did not apply. We can see the need to observe protocols but do think that their attitude has been really poor in terms of customer service. They said that the replacement cabin was an enhancement to that we had booked but being forcibly removed to R deck on Azura is not our idea of enhancement. It will be interesting to see if any other customers on the ship have had similar treatment. In the meantime, Happy Christmas and a good 2022.