Is rebooking considered a cancellation?

threebluestars

For example, if I were to book on the Holland America website a cruise for May and then decide I want to change the date (say covid cases were rising and I wanted to change a May cruise for September) is that something I could a) do on the site myself and b) would it be free of charge, or would it count as a cancellation?

I'm thinking about returning to cruising, but with variants and all the unknowns about how things are going to go here in Canada with cruises starting up again ( I hope ... ) I'm nervous about it. I see they have cancellation insurance for a fee, but it doesn't mention if you just want to rebook a new date.

I don't have any special status (one HA cruise under my belt in 2019).

If you have a PCC, that should not be a problem as long as you are not past the final payment date. This past October we moved the date of a cruise from February 2022 to January 2022. The booking number remained the same. Both cruises had the same itinerary. That moved the final payment to being due within the week. We just went ahead and made the final payment then.

There are actually two dates that you need to be aware of. The first is the Final Payment Date which will vary by cruise, and also by different country markets. The second date is the Cancellation Date and is tricky as it can sometimes fall before the Final Payment Date. The majority of the time it is the same. Your documents should show the dates, but ask the HAL rep for the dates before you place the deposit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, threebluestars said:

For example, if I were to book on the Holland America website a cruise for May and then decide I want to change the date (say covid cases were rising and I wanted to change a May cruise for September) is that something I could a) do on the site myself and b) would it be free of charge, or would it count as a cancellation?

I'm thinking about returning to cruising, but with variants and all the unknowns about how things are going to go here in Canada with cruises starting up again ( I hope ... ) I'm nervous about it. I see they have cancellation insurance for a fee, but it doesn't mention if you just want to rebook a new date.

I don't have any special status (one HA cruise under my belt in 2019).

I would not book online.  If you may want to change the date be sure that you book a refundable deposit fare so you will not be penalized.  Call HAL or a Travel Agent to book your cruise.  You don’t save any money by booking online.  You may need someone to answer questions when you place the order or before you cruise.   If you “do it yourself” you may have trouble getting help later if you need it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

If you have a PCC, that should not be a problem as long as you are not past the final payment date. This past October we moved the date of a cruise from February 2022 to January 2022. The booking number remained the same. Both cruises had the same itinerary. That moved the final payment to being due within the week. We just went ahead and made the final payment then.

There are actually two dates that you need to be aware of. The first is the Final Payment Date which will vary by cruise, and also by different country markets. The second date is the Cancellation Date and is tricky as it can sometimes fall before the Final Payment Date. The majority of the time it is the same. Your documents should show the dates, but ask the HAL rep for the dates before you place the deposit.

Nor should it be a problem if you booked through a TA, rather than a PCC, "should" being the operative word.

I just tried to do this . I was booked on the VOV 2021 and that was cancelled so I rebooked to the VOV 2022. I am getting a little concerned about covid so I called to rebook it to the VOV 2023. They told me it would be $3500 price increase. After the shock I said go ahead and do it, but then my travel agent said Holland was not budging on the $1500. cancellation fee. I was surprised at this since I thought since it was a rebooking of a cancelled cruise I would have no problem. I even called Holland America customer service and got nowhere. I may try again before final payment depending on the covid situation. If anyone has any luck I would love to know who you talked to.