Problem with eMed Covid test kit

Elkins45

I just finished testing for my cruise that departs this weekend. I used the Binax at home kit and there was an issue with my kit. The little adhesive strip that holds the card together during the test was missing and they wouldn’t let me just tape it out use a weight. We were fortunate enough to have a spare kit, but if we didn’t it would have been a serious problem. The proctors are just following a script so they can’t or won’t deviate from it at all. I think they pumped out so many of these kits that their quality control wasn’t very good. I’ve heard other reports here about the dropper bottles being empty on other kits.

Unfortunately you can’t open them up to check or it invalidates your results, so you won’t know if your kit is defective until you open it up to take the test. I would advise not risking an expensive vacation on on of these kits alone unless you have a spare or two, or you have a plan B in case the kit is defective.

• Like 1

As far as I could tell they only are selling these in packs of 6 now when you buy through their site, so having multiple kits is going to be a given for us going forward. Makes it rather expensive to buy 6 for the 2 of us, especially when they have such a short lifespan.

30 minutes ago, karmamule said:

As far as I could tell they only are selling these in packs of 6 now when you buy through their site, so having multiple kits is going to be a given for us going forward. Makes it rather expensive to buy 6 for the 2 of us, especially when they have such a short lifespan.

Actually, some places (like Ohio) give them away free at the library. Might be other giv resources to get them for free also.

Additionally, it seems like you can (currently?) get reimbursed from your insurance company for these. Some people have even reported getting reimbursed for tests taken to return to the US.

• Like 1

We bought 6 for our cruise on Divina a couple of weeks ago and fortunately the 2 we used were okay. (We were in FL for a week before our cruise so I took all 6 tests with us just in case)

Just booked a cruise for Jan 8 on Seashore and would you believe our remaining 4 tests expire ONE day before we need to test on the 6th?🤦🏻‍♀️
We will be staying in Miami for 4 nights before the cruise and I’m worried we won’t find a place to have a rapid test done,  so I ordered more this week and they’re on the way. 

Edited by styles27

Update: I called to get a replacement and the Email I just received says they will be sending another box of six. I wonder if that’s the only way they package them? Anyway, I should have plenty for our winter cruise, unless these have the same expiration date as the one they are replacing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, styles27 said:

We bought 6 for our cruise on Divina a couple of weeks ago and fortunately the 2 we used were okay. (We were in FL for a week before our cruise so I took all 6 tests with us just in case)

Just booked a cruise for Jan 8 on Seashore and would you believe our remaining 4 tests expire ONE day before we need to test on the 6th?🤦🏻‍♀️
We will be staying in Miami for 4 nights before the cruise and I’m worried we won’t find a place to have a rapid test done,  so I ordered more this week and they’re on the way. 

The Emed kits have had their expirations extended by 3 months.

6 minutes ago, saradow said:

The Emed kits have had their expirations extended by 3 months.

Just to be clear, *some* of them do. There is a PDF online that lists which numbers are extended, but it isn't complete. It is best to call and give them the lot# and the  ref # and they can tell you the exp date.

8 hours ago, styles27 said:

Yes with the 3 months mine now expire Jan 5th (original Oct 5th) and I need to test on the 6th ugh

Not sure if you’ll have a car when you’re in Miami, but there are quite a few free testing sites in south Florida.  We did a drive through at the Delray civic center yesterday and had our results in about half an hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italyforme said:

Not sure if you’ll have a car when you’re in Miami, but there are quite a few free testing sites in south Florida.  We did a drive through at the Delray civic center yesterday and had our results in about half an hour.

That’s good to know thank you!

Did you need an appointment?

After reading these posts I went to check the dates on my 6 tests. I ordered them on 9-16-2021, they arrived the next day. I did not check an experation date on them at that time until I read this forum. My expiration date was 9-29-2021. That was 12 days after I recieved them that they expireed. Our cruise date is 1-8-2022. They extended the expiration for 3 months acording to website so now it expires on 12-29-2021. Still no good for us. I contacted them today and they said no refunds on expired tests. they will send this to supervisor to review but website says no refunds. I am livid, this is some of the worst dealings I have had in long time. How can they sell me 6 tests that expire in 12 days. Cost me 175 to het these and now might have to order again. There was no way to find expiration date prior to purchase. Might be a BBB claim here if they cant work out something.

7 minutes ago, revrick3 said:

After reading these posts I went to check the dates on my 6 tests. I ordered them on 9-16-2021, they arrived the next day. I did not check an experation date on them at that time until I read this forum. My expiration date was 9-29-2021. That was 12 days after I recieved them that they expireed. Our cruise date is 1-8-2022. They extended the expiration for 3 months acording to website so now it expires on 12-29-2021. Still no good for us. I contacted them today and they said no refunds on expired tests. they will send this to supervisor to review but website says no refunds. I am livid, this is some of the worst dealings I have had in long time. How can they sell me 6 tests that expire in 12 days. Cost me 175 to het these and now might have to order again. There was no way to find expiration date prior to purchase. Might be a BBB claim here if they cant work out something.

I’d be livid too. At least when I ordered mine in August the expiration date on the box was Oct 5th before the 3 month extension. 

I didn’t order from emed this time because I now have 4 useless tests that expire before my 1-8th cruise too. 

I ordered 2 from Optum ($69)

and they said they expire in February so at least they’re upfront about it before I placed the order. 

At this point I wonder if these tests are even accurate. 

15 minutes ago, revrick3 said:

No, you received kits with an expiration date of 3 months and 12 days - more than enough time to use the home test kit as intended to be use and as approved for use by the FDA.

Your medical naivete in the expiry dates of home test kits is your problem. The company sold you kits with the expectation that the kits were to be used in a timely fashion, not stored for use sometime in the future.

• Like 1

Totally disagree with your answer Homosassa . Seems you may have a beef to vent. I have studied there site for hours to see what I missed. Nothing on the web site when I ordered about an issue with expiration dates or even the 3 month extension. When purchased there site gave no info on 3 month extension unless you go to the refund page and they reference a link to this letter. Took me quite some time to find it myself. Would you not think this would be upfront. There should also be something on site about life expectancy of tests etc. From their website emed, msc dirctives and airline directive you must take this 2 days prior. Thats a given.

Explain to me why that a company who provides tests for all travel options to test for covid doesnt give some info on expirations and dates. If I am being mandated to take this and the travel industry all recommends this test dont you think there should be a little more transparency prior to purchase. There are several statements on many websites about getting these early for future travel to be certain you are tested timely and not having to scramble. That is not my way to work to wait until last minute. I ordered them middle of Sept to travel first of Jan. Thats about 3 and half months out.Planning ahead and being proactive. Thats what all travelers are supposed to do. I have traveled my entire life extensively and all this is new to each of us. About your statement that I am medicaly naivete about expiration dates thats a stretch as you have no idea who I am. Dont make rash judgements or conclusion about a person just because of a forum statement, even when it may sound ridiculous to you.  Reminds me of social networks where people trash and destroy others without knowing who they are. This is done as there are usually no repercusions to deal with. I would never put a statement such as that in response to a forum entry. So many other ways to answer in more polite ways. You might feel I am wrong and made a huge mistake but that is your option. That is ok. I have my own also. But I wont make frank statements about someone intelect or ability to understand expiration. Sorry I upset you but please be more considerate in your responses

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, revrick3 said:

Totally disagree with your answer Homosassa . Seems you may have a beef to vent. I have studied there site for hours to see what I missed. Nothing on the web site when I ordered about an issue with expiration dates or even the 3 month extension. When purchased there site gave no info on 3 month extension unless you go to the refund page and they reference a link to this letter. Took me quite some time to find it myself. Would you not think this would be upfront. There should also be something on site about life expectancy of tests etc. From their website emed, msc dirctives and airline directive you must take this 2 days prior. Thats a given.

Explain to me why that a company who provides tests for all travel options to test for covid doesnt give some info on expirations and dates. If I am being mandated to take this and the travel industry all recommends this test dont you think there should be a little more transparency prior to purchase. There are several statements on many websites about getting these early for future travel to be certain you are tested timely and not having to scramble. That is not my way to work to wait until last minute. I ordered them middle of Sept to travel first of Jan. Thats about 3 and half months out.Planning ahead and being proactive. Thats what all travelers are supposed to do. I have traveled my entire life extensively and all this is new to each of us. About your statement that I am medicaly naivete about expiration dates thats a stretch as you have no idea who I am. Dont make rash judgements or conclusion about a person just because of a forum statement, even when it may sound ridiculous to you.  Reminds me of social networks where people trash and destroy others without knowing who they are. This is done as there are usually no repercusions to deal with. I would never put a statement such as that in response to a forum entry. So many other ways to answer in more polite ways. You might feel I am wrong and made a huge mistake but that is your option. That is ok. I have my own also. But I wont make frank statements about someone intelect or ability to understand expiration. Sorry I upset you but please be more considerate in your responses

This is why I love the “ignore” function here. Some members love to belittle people on these forums and it’s the same few all the time.

You are absolutely right that the expiration date should be made available on emed. If Optum can do it so can they. 

I’m sure they have many tests that they’ll have to eat so they’re trying to offload them on unsuspecting consumers. 

My insurance reimbursed us for our original 6 tests. We have Blue Cross. Maybe yours will too. 

• Like 1

I thank you for a response, I know my response was lengthy. I am not here to disturb others but to help in any way I can in my small part of earth. I read the forums as you do to gain knowledge and just get pleasure from meeting new people. I will check with our insurance about this as we have blue cross but were on medicaid so may be different in some ways. BCBS must have about 100 different policies in our country. About 10 just in SC. 

• Like 2

The issue of the expiration dates of these kits is not even clear to those selling them or to Abbott, the manufacturer. It is the seller's and manufacturer's obligations to provide clear information on the expiration date. A reasonable person shouldn't expect them to last five years necessarily, but should be able to rely on them lasting as long as other pharmaceutic products that don't require special shipping, unless otherwise notified. The fundamental problem is NOT that the kits have an extremely short life, but that the ones they are selling today have been sitting in inventory for so long (I suppose it is "medical naivete" to be unaware that the kits have been sitting on the shelf for 80% of its useful life?).

eMed and Optum continue to point to the FDA letter from last May. The problem is that the letter only applied to the specific lot numbers. There was also extensions for kits manufactured later than those, but not all lots have the same extension.

Optum answered my inquiry by saying that the kits expire 12 months from the date of manufacture. I contacted Abbott and they said that isn't correct. It depends on the specific lot ("Since we work with different manufactures lots expiration dates are going to vary from 3 months, 6 months, 12 months. "). The expiration dates Abbott have in their system are a few weeks short of 12 months from manufacture.

So now for the good news. Eventually Optum dealt with the discrepancy by refunding my purchase .. not because the expiry dates were short, but because they had given me incorrect and inconsistent information that differed from the manufacturer's statements. I am pleased with the steps they have taken and will order more kits for an upcoming cruise.

I also see now the Optum and eMed have statements on their web pages for these items warning of the short expiry date. That's the transparency that had been missing.

On a related subject, many including myself have reported failed kits (reagent bottle dry, adhesive on the card unable to hold it closed, etc.) and there is also possibility of user error - even just dropping the card on the floor makes the test unusable. Having at least one spare kit is highly advisable and/or have an alternate plan.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, revrick3 said:

I thank you for a response, I know my response was lengthy. I am not here to disturb others but to help in any way I can in my small part of earth. I read the forums as you do to gain knowledge and just get pleasure from meeting new people. I will check with our insurance about this as we have blue cross but were on medicaid so may be different in some ways. BCBS must have about 100 different policies in our country. About 10 just in SC. 

What Styles said.  Blocked that poster long time ago.  Go to top right and add to ignore list if you feel so.

• Like 1