Booking speciality restaurants before you leave home

pennib

There were several comments a few months ago about the inability to book speciality restaurants before joining your cruise. It appeared that you had to wait until boarding and then use an app. We are on Azura for 4 weeks over Christmas and New Year  and were  a bit despondent that we couldn’t sort out a few meals before joining the ship. However, My OH has just been on his cruise personaliser and he has now booked 4 speciality restaurants sitting on his sofa just like you used to be able to do.  We could only do this for the first 2 weeks however.  Thought I would spread what we think is good news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

I think it was just the seacations where you could only book on board. 

No it was other cruises as well so something has (thankfully) changed. We had tried to book a table and when we couldn’t contacted P&O and asked about it.

Good news if this facility is available again. I don’t rate the MDR particularly but do enjoy the speciality restaurants so it was something I had paid attention to.

• Like 1

Hi pennib,

Have been wondering the same. We were on Iona in Sept & could only book onboard, but the offers were good, half price speciality restaurants for the first two nights and of course waiting means being able to use OBC.

Can I ask, with pre booking now available, are there any similar discounts & do you pay the surcharge for a fixed fee such as Epicurean or a deposit for a la carte venues there and then?

We are on Iona again in January & have £440 OBC to get through. 

We are on Ventura sailing on the 17th and the Epicurean and the Beach House became available to book yesterday, Sindhu is still showing as “coming soon”

Maybe and don’t quote me on this, but maybe the “app” only works on the newest ships

It maybe that the slightly older ships either haven’t been upgraded to accept the system required to run the “app” yet or it’s too expensive to upgrade.

I am being totally honest when I say that I am much happier booking my specialty restaurants in advance and paying for them before I go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, purplesea said:

As we sail mid-January, I was looking yesterday to book a speciality restaurant for my birthday.  Some say coming soon and some say enquire on board. 

We're sailing on Iona on the 15th. I have just checked again today and the information is still the same.

Hi Pennib

we are on for a month as well , we have booked Epicurian for the

evening we arrive, we are always tired and just enjoy being there

plus it’s usually half price although I was surprised at the price of

£22 for all week, it used to be £28! We were hoping to book for

Xmas Eve but as you say it does not quite go that far , will have to

hope to book it when we visit.

The entertainment listed on the CP does not look very exciting!

I noticed the same flight today for Britannia got off about half an hour late,

I am still feeling stressed about having to cart all the luggage from the

station to T2, I just hope someone who went today may read this and post to confirm  it’s tricky or maybe alleviate my fears. I hope you are all

sorted parking-wise.

I see Azura is on her way , well past the Azores now, hoping for a new

looking ship after her refit.

Terri

Hello all. I am glad that I was able to give you some positive news!  I think the prices are lower than I remember in previous years but we paid £22.40 each for the Epicurean, £10 each for Sindhi and £6 each for the Beach House and then of course you get your Peninsular club discount so we are quite happy at the moment.

with regards to the testing arrangements at Manchester Airport on the way out, we are going to bite the bullet and take the luggage on a trolley from the T2 west car park to the testing centre and then to check in. We’ll be able to sleep on the plane!! 
 Another bit of good news is that the flight bag allowance has gone up to 10kg. We could never understand why it was persistently low at 5kg. This will be a major help to us given that we always seem to be taking the kitchen sink!!

• Like 1

Hi Pennib

Because we are on board for a month, we have had to purchase

extra baggage allowance £40 per extra 5kg each but at least won’t be

worried now when approaching check in! 

I think you have done the right thing with trolley, evidently takes 10 mins

between T2 and station. Still unsure what to do, just wish  I knew if

trolley would available at station.

Terri

It might seem odd, but it makes such a difference to us to punctuate a cruise with a few special meals booked ahead - was dreading relying on the “app” after the issues from last time.

Even though I couldn’t seem to book an Eric Lanlard Afternoon Tea yet (1st world problems and all that 🤣) I am so pleased to have now just booked a few Epicurean and Sindhu meals on Iona’s Christmas cruise.

Edited by Camberley