Summer 2022 Western Med questions

Chanmc

Thank you in advance for any advice and comments - keep in mind have only taken a couple of cruises previously and none on celebrity.  We booked this a year ago hoping COVID would be a thing of the past and to celebrate daughters high school graduation before leaving for college.  Now trying to decide if we should opt for "Plan B".  We are booked on Constellation for 9 night western med cruise Barcelona to Venice in Sky Suite 6118.  We wanted a nice room because her graduation trip and she has never been to Europe.  Husband and I have been twice, once to Italy and once Silverseas in Baltic for work reward trip.  

Any feedback on the ship or this type of room?

Does anyone know if Europe cruise will require masks for vaccinated guests?  It seems like Caribbean trips are not although can't really find details on off ship.  Do not want to spend this kind of money if we have to spend entire time off ship wearing masks and worried if excursions will be difficult due to COVID.  I know I'm asking some crystal ball questions, just curious as to others thoughts on what to expect.

We are trying to make decision between keeping this cruise or waiting until summer of 2023 to do it and doing either St. John or Maui for a "smaller" graduation trip.

46 minutes ago, Chanmc said:

Does anyone know if Europe cruise will require masks for vaccinated guests?  It seems like Caribbean trips are not although can't really find details on off ship.  Do not want to spend this kind of money if we have to spend entire time off ship wearing masks and worried if excursions will be difficult due to COVID.  I know I'm asking some crystal ball questions, just curious as to others thoughts on what to expect..

No one knows.

noone knew last week that California would go back to wearing masks

there is no crystal ball worth anything in this volatile situation

The situation is so fluid, protocols change weekly.  We are booked for September on Apex and we understand that anything could change between now and then.  Just keep perusing the Celebrity website and that of the countries you will visit.

As for your cabin, Sky Suites are quite spacious with larger balconies.  You will have access to The Retreat and your default restaurant is Luminae, which is excellent.  You also have access to Blu and the MDR, if you so choose.  Constellation is a smaller and older M class ship.  Nice ship, but not the elegance of S class ships, nor the sophistication of Edge class ships.  However, many people prefer this size of ship and don’t mind the little signs of wear and tear.

40 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Question.....if you are on a Med cruise and, say you go in a few days earlier, how do you get your covid test done 2 days before sailing. Do you have to go to a covid test site there?

Totally a point I hadn't thought about as we were planning to spend several nights in Barcelona first so we'd have to test before leaving US and test again in Barcelona.  Plan B might be getting more realistic, UG.

44 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Question.....if you are on a Med cruise and, say you go in a few days earlier, how do you get your covid test done 2 days before sailing. Do you have to go to a covid test site there?

If you are staying somewhere that has Wi-Fi, you can do the at-home test and receive the results on your email. I just did that in San Juan and I believe that the tests work worldwide.

• Like 1

There's no way to predict what things will be like in Europe in summer 2022; however, there has been significantly more compliance with, and reliance on, mask-wearing in most European countries, and most do not seem eager to abandon the practice anytime soon. I know that on Med cruises through the end of the regular season (October), people were required to mask up when ashore and some countries (including Italy) were still requiring ship excursions.

I would guess that mask mandates would continue at least through the spring in Europe; difficult to know what happens after that....

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, cruisestitch said:

If you are staying somewhere that has Wi-Fi, you can do the at-home test and receive the results on your email. I just did that in San Juan and I believe that the tests work worldwide.

I am planning to do the same thing in Barcelona. We are on the 30 July 2022 cruise from Barcelona, but leaving US too early to do the COVID 19 test before we leave for the flight. I will probably do one at home before leaving just to be sure I am "good to go" with the knowledge that I will have to do another (real) one the within the 2 day time frame required for the cruise. I'll have to wait to do that one in Barcelona once we arrive. There are locations that have testing in the city, and most require appointments. I plan to make an appointment at one of those locations close to my hotel. My plan is the bring the "telemed" tests purchased from Celebrity with me and try those on my own, with the COVID appointments in Barcelona as my backup if they don't work. then cancel the appointment if I don't need them. I am really hoping I don't need any of this by July, but that is being very optimistic. 

Sadly I cancelled our Europe cruise in May as we felt too iffy and with all the testing that would be required. I was counting at least 4 rapid tests needed with land tours mixed into the trip. It was to be my daughters first Europe trip as well for her college graduation gift. We booked Summit out of NJ in May instead. Hopefully next year or 2024 I can take her overseas.