Taxes out of NOLA

NCLGirl2013

Good morning! We have always went out of Miami for the cruise we have done previously, but we are going out of New Orleans for our upcoming cruise. From Miami, you have to pay taxes on the drinks you have while in port so for us that usually translates from 12pm-5/6pm. Now my question is I am assuming it is the same out of New Orleans but I am assuming it will be that way the entire time on the Mississippi River? I read somewhere else that they did not get out if the Mississippi River until past 2 am. Should I start planning to have taxes on all our drinks for that entire first day? How much would you budget?

Edited by NCLGirl2013

It is the entire time on the River. Around 1 or 2 am sounds about right. And on the last day you'll have to pay all the way up the River too. I don't know what you should budget, I usually get the drink package. Maybe $25/30? Depending on how much you drink.

I would think the worst case scenario of budgeting $20 for drink taxes would be pretty easy ...... somewhat comical actually. I wouldn't even think two seconds about the cost of taxes on drinks for a few hours while on a cruise. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, crowandzah said:

It is the entire time on the River. Around 1 or 2 am sounds about right. And on the last day you'll have to pay all the way up the River too. I don't know what you should budget, I usually get the drink package. Maybe $25/30? Depending on how much you drink.

We get the drink package too and we take full advantage of it 😅 we are very regular drinkers so we can easily put away 15+ drinks per person a day because we start at breakfast and stay out late 😬 so I guess from 12pm to 2am we could probably have 10 drinks a piece at $1.50 a drink so about $30 should probably be good 🤔

We got couple of drinks at the sailaway party and the barman “forgot” to scan the card. Then we got drinks at the less crowded Vibe bar and the tax was around $1 - $1.50 per drink. Similar, glass of wine at Manhattan was around $1 or so. 

14 hours ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

Good morning! We have always went out of Miami for the cruise we have done previously, but we are going out of New Orleans for our upcoming cruise. From Miami, you have to pay taxes on the drinks you have while in port so for us that usually translates from 12pm-5/6pm. Now my question is I am assuming it is the same out of New Orleans but I am assuming it will be that way the entire time on the Mississippi River? I read somewhere else that they did not get out if the Mississippi River until past 2 am. Should I start planning to have taxes on all our drinks for that entire first day? How much would you budget?

You are looking at $20/$30 bucks at most.  If it’s a budget buster for you, well only you can decide.

We sailed on the Breakaway out of NO on the 28th. There were three of us in the two bedroom villa. We were on the ship at 11:00 am and I do not know when we left the Mississippi River but our taxes amounted to $64.27. The only question I had was. Why did the two of you drink so much? 

• Haha 1