RCCL - No more onboard tests for Canadians

snoope

31 minutes ago, CruisinGirl777 said:

But with our government, I cannot trust that they will keep the land border open. Things have been crazy here, especially news about Quebec today, so I don’t want to risk needing to book a flight last minute

The land border has never been completely closed. I don't think the government could legally deny Canadian citizens entry.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

The land border has never been completely closed. I don't think the government could legally deny Canadian citizens entry.

Its getting out that I am concerned about. Canada was the one to compel the land border closure at the start of COVID. And it was only essential travel until the US finally allowed entrance in Nov. (And I quickly went over by land). 

If either side decided to return to that phase I would be stuck crossing over to get to the cruise. I feel a bit safer flying as we were always able to do that - and I did cruise and AI while the border was still shut. I will wait to hear what RCL says in writing before I decide. 

The land border can be closed prior to sailing. In such case we wouldn't be able to get to the cruise. However, if you're already in America, and you have legal residency status in Canada there would be no valid reason not to let you back into the country. This was the case during the last border shut down.

A much more significant obstacle could be a change into official government travel advisory. Such a change can affect the terms and conditions of an existing Medical Travel Insurance coverage. The last thing anyone would want to happen is to end up in United States without a valid medical insurance coverage. 

• Like 2

I am considering taking the LAMP test bought through Air Canada aeroplan with me on my Royal cruise in February.  I will buy the surf and stream internet for a day and do the test onboard. If I test positive the safe passage home program will cover me since I tested positive while on the ship. 

Anyone see an issue with this plan that I have not thought of? 

24 minutes ago, WeExplore said:

I am considering taking the LAMP test bought through Air Canada aeroplan with me on my Royal cruise in February.  I will buy the surf and stream internet for a day and do the test onboard. If I test positive the safe passage home program will cover me since I tested positive while on the ship. 

Anyone see an issue with this plan that I have not thought of? 

We plan on doing the same thing, taking a set of a tests along even though we are grandfathered in on our Jan 20 sailing and will be (hopefully) tested at port when we return.  We want to have a backup plan just in case.

• Thanks 1

Sorry if this was brought up before but could you not request a test while onboard (say you developed the sniffles or other minor symptoms)  that way you would be covered instead of waiting to find out you were positive at the pier and on your own?  Every person I know who has/had covid (myself included) developed at least some kind of minor symptoms. I would just get in front of it as soon as possible.  

15 minutes ago, cruzn1974 said:

Sorry if this was brought up before but could you not request a test while onboard (say you developed the sniffles or other minor symptoms)  that way you would be covered instead of waiting to find out you were positive at the pier and on your own?  Every person I know who has/had covid (myself included) developed at least some kind of minor symptoms. I would just get in front of it as soon as possible.  

I have two issues with your suggestion. First of all, if you pretend to be symptomatic, are tested and prove negative, you might not be provided with printed or emailed test results in a format suitable for your flight home.

More importantly, I find it offensive to suggest that someone fake having COVID symptoms in order to bypass the procedures. If everyone requiring a PCR test to fly home started claiming symptoms and demanding a test, people who legitimately need to be tested might have trouble getting one. 

• Like 6

I agree with @Fouremco.  When I was a close contact in the summer on the Equinox (caught as a close contact because of tracking bracelets at that time, but based on what we found out after, I don't think I was really a close contact, as it was a person behind my back and a number of people over from me, I just got caught in the random radius of the bracelets), I had 3 PCR tests and was never provided any written results, just a call to confirm the tests came back negative.  I doubt they would want to give you results sufficient for travel if you are asking to be tested because of symptoms.  

Edited by AlbertaCruisers
  • Like 1

No I am not suggesting you fake symptoms.  I am talking about being proactive and getting tested if developing symptoms (even very minor ones) instead of thinking it is nothing and finding out once you get off the ship.  I know many people that thought they were ok just a minor headache or little throat tickle that turned out to be positive. 

Sorry if my wording was confusing. Maybe I should have asked would the ship deny you a test if your symptoms are minor?   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruzn1974 said:

Thanks for the response @AlbertaCruisers but with the new policy I didn't expect the onboard testing  would be acceptable for travel.  The question was really about not taking any symptoms for granted.  

Yes, now that you have clarified, I agree. It would be better not to ignore symptoms and test positive the next day. Better to test positive on the ship and hopefully have some people to help you figure out what to do. In general, they say they don’t want people to ignore symptoms, so I believe they would test you, even if your symptoms are mild. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I have two issues with your suggestion. First of all, if you pretend to be symptomatic, are tested and prove negative, you might not be provided with printed or emailed test results in a format suitable for your flight home.

More importantly, I find it offensive to suggest that someone fake having COVID symptoms in order to bypass the procedures. If everyone requiring a PCR test to fly home started claiming symptoms and demanding a test, people who legitimately need to be tested might have trouble getting one. 

I will also add that if you say you have symptoms and ask for a test you will be quarantined to your room until the test comes back. If they think you have Covid you will not be walking around the ship. Not sure the turn around time for tests but still pretty silly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I will also add that if you say you have symptoms and ask for a test you will be quarantined to your room until the test comes back. If they think you have Covid you will not be walking around the ship. Not sure the turn around time for tests but still pretty silly.

Something else to consider… does the ship begin contact tracing and isolating other guests before results come back?  I would suspect fellow cabin guests and those attached to your booking would be quarantined at minimum until results are back. 

In all honesty, if one is “generally speaking” concerned if they have Covid or not they should take rapid tests with them and test themselves through out the cruise before going to medical.  Add to that, from what I read on the main RC boards, if you test negative you pay for the test  and if positive you don’t.  

Doing a rapid tests in one’s cabin every 2/3 days could be cheaper and  consume less time than going to medical for a presumed negative result. Then there is also the cost for an actual PCR test to return back to Canada.   For some they’ll wait until they disembark the ship, for others they might test daily.

I’m still waiting to make final in late January but every day it seems less likely that our house is going. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

In all honesty, if one is “generally speaking” concerned if they have Covid or not they should take rapid tests with them and test themselves through out the cruise before going to medical.  Add to that, from what I read on the main RC boards, if you test negative you pay for the test  and if positive you don’t.  

Doing a rapid tests in one’s cabin every 2/3 days could be cheaper and  consume less time than going to medical for a presumed negative result. Then there is also the cost for an actual PCR test to return back to Canada.   For some they’ll wait until they disembark the ship, for others they might test daily.

Thank you.  Good idea regarding taking rapid tests with you and testing throughout.

I brought rapid antigen tests for our NYE cruise.

Used them the day before we debarked, to make sure that our PCR test at the airport would be negative (or more like prepare ourselves that the test would be positive if we tested positive on the antigen test).

I also brought it in case my son or I developed symptoms. We didn't thank heavens.

• Like 1