Covid positive?

I tested positive while on day 2 of a 4 night cruise last week.  I was immediately taken to an isolation stateroom (not my original stateroom) where I spent the remainder of the cruise.  There is a section of deck 4 that is blocked off for covid isolation. I was not allowed to leave and could order room service for the rest of my stay.  My wife sent my clothes/toiletries, etc to me but I was not allowed to see her.  My wife had to isolate in our cabin for 24 hours and then take a covid test.  Since she tested negative she was allowed to enjoy the rest of the cruise with no further restrictions.   If she tested positive she would have been moved to an isolation room for the duration of the cruise.  At the end of the cruise, anyone in isolation will be the last ones off the ship.  RC arranged for transportation home (we live near the port) so no one else had to come in contact with us.  I was told if it was a longer cruise they would have looked at other options for getting my off the ship sooner but our only port was Costa Maya and they won't dump anyone off there unless it is an extreme emergency.  If you want to know anything else please ask.

• Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, warcat265 said:

I tested positive while on day 2 of a 4 night cruise last week.  I was immediately taken to an isolation stateroom (not my original stateroom) where I spent the remainder of the cruise.  There is a section of deck 4 that is blocked off for covid isolation.

So booking a balcony cabin will not help if you are isolated... Many posts here from folks only booking balcony cabins in case of being isolated. Might make the added expense of balconies not so much worthwhile. Sounds like you were on the Serenade as I only see that ship going to Costa Maya with no other stops.

Edited by coaster

1 hour ago, warcat265 said:

I tested positive while on day 2 of a 4 night cruise last week.  I was immediately taken to an isolation stateroom (not my original stateroom) where I spent the remainder of the cruise.  There is a section of deck 4 that is blocked off for covid isolation. I was not allowed to leave and could order room service for the rest of my stay.  My wife sent my clothes/toiletries, etc to me but I was not allowed to see her.  My wife had to isolate in our cabin for 24 hours and then take a covid test.  Since she tested negative she was allowed to enjoy the rest of the cruise with no further restrictions.   If she tested positive she would have been moved to an isolation room for the duration of the cruise.  At the end of the cruise, anyone in isolation will be the last ones off the ship.  RC arranged for transportation home (we live near the port) so no one else had to come in contact with us.  I was told if it was a longer cruise they would have looked at other options for getting my off the ship sooner but our only port was Costa Maya and they won't dump anyone off there unless it is an extreme emergency.  If you want to know anything else please ask.

Thanks for posting -- how are you doing now?  Do you know if you had the Delta or Omicron variant?  

1 hour ago, coaster said:

So booking a balcony cabin will not help if you are isolated... Many posts here from folks only booking balcony cabins in case of being isolated. Might make the added expense of balconies not so much worthwhile. Sounds like you were on the Serenade as I only see that ship going to Costa Maya with no other stops.

Was your isolation cabin a balcony cabin?  

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Why were you tested?

I'll try to answer everyone's questions here:

I was tested because I developed a scratchy throat, cough and my temperature was increasing.  For the record - all symptoms developed on day 2 and I would not have boarded if I was symptomatic or thought I was positive on day 1.

They treated my symptoms with Robitussin, Tylenol, and NyQuil to sleep.  Just treating the symptoms to make me more comfortable.  No follow up testing for me.

The isolation rooms are not balcony rooms - they are ocean view rooms on one section of the ship and you don't have a choice as to where you stay.  Purchasing a balcony room won't to any good if you test positive.  You are not allowed to leave your isolation room.  You may open the door to drop your trash bag outside the room and to pick up your room service.  Yes, I was on the Serenade - from the looks of the trash bags/room service I think there were only 4 of us in isolation. 

My symptoms are mild now.  Just a scratchy throat and a little cough.  No fever.  I asked if they could tell which variant I had and they don't have the ability to test for that on the ship.

Hope this info helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

43 minutes ago, seapad said:

After you got home, did you receive any medical treatment or seen a doctor? Or did the symptoms just resolved or diminished by itself? Glad to hear you're much better now.

I haven't seen a doctor since I've been home.  I'm following the guidance and meds the staff on the ship gave me.  The symptoms are slowly diminishing.

I wonder if your wife would have been able to go with you into isolation if she so desired? I would have wanted to stay together in quarantine even if I did not test positive. 

Does anyone know what happens if you test positive on a longer cruise and are debarked? My wife will never cruise as long as there is any chance she could end up in a foreign hospital after hearing a few bad stories. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, warcat265 said:

I haven't seen a doctor since I've been home.  I'm following the guidance and meds the staff on the ship gave me.  The symptoms are slowly diminishing.

Sounds like the symptoms can eventually go away without serious complications, are the meds you're referring to simply Robitussin, Tylenol and such OTC stuff? Good to know. 

9 hours ago, asalligo said:

I wonder if your wife would have been able to go with you into isolation if she so desired? I would have wanted to stay together in quarantine even if I did not test positive. 

Does anyone know what happens if you test positive on a longer cruise and are debarked? My wife will never cruise as long as there is any chance she could end up in a foreign hospital after hearing a few bad stories. 

Even before Covid, your wife could have ended up in a foreign hospital if she had a significant medical need during a cruise.  If your wife honestly wants 0% chance of ending up in a foreign hospital, she needs to stay in the USA. 

Edited by D4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D4 said:

Even before Covid, your wife could have ended up in a foreign hospital if she had a significant medical need during a cruise.  If your wife honestly wants 0% chance of ending up in a foreign hospital, she needs to stay in the USA. 

And if she does leave the country, purchase the best travel insurance possible. But that still wouldn’t guarantee a return to the USA in all circumstances. 

• Like 1