Passport Renewal Question

JamesEM

15 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm curious... how many people have not expedited their application, then come whining if it takes a couple of months?  

Personally, I'd be whining if I paid $240 ($60x4) to get my passports more than six months before I need them. 

Not many lately, but over the summer there were a number of threads about people who did not expedite and were facing their passports not showing up in time.

I understand if a whole family is renewing, the extra fee can be a burden, but for a single person or couple, it should be well within their means if they have the funds to cruise.

I just renewed.  Sent it in by mail on Dec 3rd.  I used expedited service though the Philadelphia center.  And I got the new one in the mail in 15 days.    I don't mind paying the additional fee for expedited service.  It gets spread it out over 10 years until the next renewal.  I agree with @LGW59 about peace of mind and I admit I am a bit worried every time I mail my passport into the great unknown!  That's just me.  Somebody else might think differently.  🎄Happy Holidays!🎄

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not many lately, but over the summer there were a number of threads about people who did not expedite and were facing their passports not showing up in time.

And that could happen again in an instant.  With the rise in passport fees, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of folks renewing earlier than planned (even if it's only saving $20 over 10 years).  With omicron and the holidays going on, I wouldn't be surprised if there were fewer working in the office at the moment and for the next few weeks or so.  What took 4 weeks yesterday could take 14 come tomorrow.

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

And that could happen again in an instant.  With the rise in passport fees, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of folks renewing earlier than planned (even if it's only saving $20 over 10 years).  With omicron and the holidays going on, I wouldn't be surprised if there were fewer working in the office at the moment and for the next few weeks or so.  What took 4 weeks yesterday could take 14 come tomorrow.

Exactly

We sent out our passport renewal applications on October 30th and received them both back on December 3rd. We did not pay for the expediated service.It was surprising to us that we got them back so fast.Everything that we read made it sound like it would take months.

We sent in two renewals for wife and I, and a new application for our youngest who doesn’t have a passport - all expedited.   Our renewals were mailed two weeks ago, status shows as approved and that we should receive in a week.  Our daughters however… shows “not received”.  Does a renewal and a new application go to different offices or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Sent my passport renewal in sometime in October, didn't show in process til 11/9 and I'm still waiting. I cruise January 8 but have my certified birth certificate ready for this time. When I submitted my application it said 8-11 weeks.  I did not expedite.

39 minutes ago, WeIsCruisin said:

Sent my passport renewal in sometime in October, didn't show in process til 11/9 and I'm still waiting. I cruise January 8 but have my certified birth certificate ready for this time. When I submitted my application it said 8-11 weeks.  I did not expedite.

Ours were submitted to the local facility on 11/27.  Shows received on 11/30.  Guessing you sent yours probably the last week in October.  

FWIW, we dropped off our passports (two renewals and two new applications) at the local site (County Clerk's office) on 11/30.  Showed as being received by US Govt on 12/1.  All currently showing as "Approved" with an estimated return of 1/10.  That would be 6 1/2 weeks from drop off.  Glad we didn't spend $240 to rush it. 

• 3 weeks later...