Viking Orion Status

bluemarble

Those of you who are tracking the position of Viking Orion are probably wondering why we are not docked at Pichilingue (La Paz), Mexico this morning. The captain has announced two guests on board have tested positive for covid. As a result, the local authorities have denied us permission to dock. We will be enjoying another sea day today instead on this Christmas Eve.

Starting to really feel like Christmas onboard - missing La Paz is disappointing and if other ports cancel it will be an awfully long at sea cruise so here is hoping that doesn’t happen.  Crew are coming by the gingerbread house display for group Christmas photos - fun to watch.  Engineering and kitchen staff have been by - looks like wait staff’s turn here.

758B9FEE-93DA-4228-AEE1-D347A70BCE8D.thumb.jpeg.3e2c60ef31fb518bf4d44127c3a0c360.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

World Cafe staff was out for sunrise selfies this morning.  

20211224_063606.jpg

20211224_063641.jpg

Just imagine, they cruise 24/7 basically and I would think that they have already got tons of such photos, but now it seems to me they update their photo portfolio lol 
Well, I wish all of them health and stay strong. I hope their business will never fail and they will continue to serve their gusts 

• Like 4

I was wondering what happens when a ship returns to the United States when you test positive.  Are you allowed to get off the ship? I know you need a negative test result to get on a plane back to the US, but what about a cruise?

The captain has announced Mazatlan has not granted us permission to dock there tomorrow. Puerto Vallarta is allowing us to dock, so we are heading there.a day early. Sounds like we will be in Puerto Vallarta for three days now instead of two. Tomorrow will be independent excursions only and then we will have Viking excursions for our originally scheduled dates there on Monday and Tuesday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The captain has announced we will be missing our port call at Manzanillo today since the authorities there have denied us permission to dock there. As a result, we will be at sea today instead. We have no further covid cases on board beyond the two cases identified last week, so that's the good news. We are currently proceeding slowly in the direction of Cabo San Lucas, so let's hope our calls there on Friday and Saturday can still be salvaged.

• Like 1

It was a spectacular sunrise this morning, in spite of the Captain's announcement.  I am currently sitting outside, enjoying my breakfast and the sunrise.  It is cloudy as the sun just peaks above the horizon.  A lovely day for making limoncello out of today's basket of lemons.  🍋

In the meantime, I got an email from my TA yesterday making sure that I had the number for the limo service and a copy of my reservation.  She said that there have been a lot of flights canceled because the pilots are sick and wanted to make sure that we would be able to communicate with them if needed.  When it rains it pours.  🥴

• Like 1

During the captain's noon announcement, he said we will be arriving in Cabo San Lucas tomorrow, a day earlier than originally planned. It sounds like Cabo San Lucas will be a three-day call like our call to Puerto Vallarta was, with tomorrow being a day for independent excursions only. Days two and three in Cabo San Lucas will have Viking excursions per our original itinerary.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year, Everyone, from Cabo San Lucas. 

We have one more day here and then start for home. We arrive back in LA on Jan 5.  There have been no additional positives since the initial two.  

Thanks to the cooperation of both Puerto Vallarta  and Cabo San Lucas, we lost three  ports but only one port day.  We were able to add one day each in PV and CSL, giving us 6 port days instead of the planned 7.  

Could have been worse, right?

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 7

On 12/31/2021 at 7:26 PM, Peregrina651 said:

There have been no additional positives since the initial two.  

There have been no ship announcements of additional positives but my wife and I were told a few days ago by a crew member about another positive case of an acquaintance of ours.

• Like 1