Testing Question

excited balcony

11 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Haven't seen anything about getting an extra day's window for a PCR test.  HAL's "Testing Requirements & Guidelines" page states (and they bold printed 2 days),

On voyages sailing through March 31, 2022, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation.

2 days is not 48 hrs. Can be very close to 3 days if planned right. As per HAL's Covid-19 Testing Requirements:

The 2-day period is 2 days before your cruise’s departure. The 2-day timeframe provides you with more flexibility than a 48-hour timeframe. By using the 2-day window, your test validity does not depend on the time of your embarkation or the time of the day that your test was administered. For example, if your cruise departure is 4:00 PM on a Sunday, you may board with a negative COVID-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Friday or after.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:57 PM, DAllenTCY said:

You can test at the port in San Diego.....from 11 am until 2:45 pm with a Boarding Pass for the day's sailing.

If a charge is appropriate, you can bill the cost of $100 pp to your onboard account.

David

I have another question, if you don't mind. I looked further into the testing available at the San Diego pier and the website for the company doing the testing does not have any dates for testing for any Koningsdam cruises past Jan. 9th, which agrees with the HAL website comment about pier testing. However, we are on the Jan 16th HI cruise and would like to book a test. Do you have any insight into why they don't have testing on the 16th?

6 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I don't know, but I can ask.

David

Thank you for getting back to me. I would like to have a backup on the 16th if our scheduled test for Jan. 14th falls through. Not sure why HAL would stop doing tests after the 9th, since ships are still sailing out of San Diego, so if you could check on a possible extension of testing I would appreciate it.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, FlaMariner said:

Can you go to your health department and get it done?

Even though it is onsite, our county health department has a site where you book appointments and the test results are texted to you (and emailed) before you are home.  And it is FREE.

We just got them last week for our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and it was easy peezy.  No waiting.  Drive up, get swabbed and go.  And free. 

This is in the free state of Florida.  Perhaps California has this?  Here is the link we used to find and book.....Nomi Health was the free one the Florida County health dept steered us to. 

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

How long did it take to get your results?  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, AFNavigator said:

Did HAL tell you testing on Dec 30 was OK for a Jan 2 departure?  The current requirement is to test no more than 2 days prior to cruise departure date.  It used to be 3 days but was reduced to 2 days at least a month ago.

Actually, HAL told us the Dec 30 was not ok, but we did it anyway, and then they tested us again in the terminal.  It was very smooth!

HAL has a contract with Docgo for certain ports that expires 2-28-22. As of a week ago, it hasnt been extended. I am sailing out of San Diego 2-20-22. I have an appointment.

I want to sail out of Seattle May 7th. I will arrive in Seattle from Spokane 2-3 days early. So far, I have found one sketchy testing site near SeaTac with bad reviews.

How can their not be a valid gold plated testing site near the cruise doc in Seattle WA?  Near the Airport? for anyone wanting to cruise???

I am going to look into paying for testing two days before the cruise in Spokane and then fly in a day before the cruise, or I cancel the cruise (no down payment given). But I need a backup plan.  I find it hard to believe the cruise lines havent gotten together and made this all super easy at any major port.

Edited by Coyote Chris

44 minutes ago, Coyote Chris said:

I find it hard to believe that we have all this money we are spending on cruising and the cruise lines, especially HAL, havent made testing easy for old people who have lots of disposable income.

Well said.  This process is stressful and testing readily available at the port is something HAL could make arrange.

• Like 1