Testing Question

excited balcony

We are scheduled to sail out of San Diego on December 26th and we ordered the emed/Abbots tests.   This morning was the beginning of our two day window, so we logged on to try to have the proctored tests, but we have been on hold waiting for the proctor for 5 hours now.  While we were holding, we drove to Kaiser and deli drive-through Covid test there, but they said it could take 72 hours for the results to come back. We are still holding for the emed tests, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with what happens at the port if you don’t have your Covid test results? Do they charge you but still provide you with a rapid test, or . . . ??

Thanks for any help/insight!

We did our eMed tests about an hour ago and the wait said it was about 40 minutes but it ended up only being around 20.  We both did ours on our laptops and didn't have any issues with it (other than it saying there was an error when first connecting a few times but then it put us in the queue).  I would suggest disconnecting and reconnecting because as @Playin Pickleball said, you might not even be really connected anymore.  Hope you can get it to work!

• Like 1

Another testing question - we are due to leave on Jan. 2.  We are having our tests done Dec. 31.  If (heaven forbid) someone should test positive do you know if HAL has a specific contact number for this situation?  Thanks for your help.

Helen

Can you go to your health department and get it done?

Even though it is onsite, our county health department has a site where you book appointments and the test results are texted to you (and emailed) before you are home.  And it is FREE.

We just got them last week for our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and it was easy peezy.  No waiting.  Drive up, get swabbed and go.  And free. 

This is in the free state of Florida.  Perhaps California has this?  Here is the link we used to find and book.....Nomi Health was the free one the Florida County health dept steered us to. 

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

4 minutes ago, HELENPSL said:

Another testing question - we are due to leave on Jan. 2.  We are having our tests done Dec. 31.  If (heaven forbid) someone should test positive do you know if HAL has a specific contact number for this situation?  Thanks for your help.

Helen

Here is the emergency contact numbers from the webpage....Because you get FCC if you test positive, I would hang on to those test results and contact my travel agent immediately.

But no-one ever tests positive....You will be fine!!!!  

Enjoy the cruise.

Here is the emergency number for HAL.

Business Hours: 206-626-9000
After Hours & Holidays: 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Playin Pickleball said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but have a question. Have you tried hanging up and calling again? Telecom systems sometimes fail and maybe you're not even really on hold anymore. I have a vested interest in your question because we'll be in the same boat (pun intended) next weekend.

Good point - if you are worried, you could stay on the first phone and call with another phone.  Assumes you have two of course.

I hope you did the test at Kaiser if you are a member.  Our results in early November came back the next day.   We drove through Friday a.m. and received results of saliva test on Saturday mid day.  I’m sure they are busier with the holidays.  We drove through at San Marcos last week and had results next day.

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

I hope you did the test at Kaiser if you are a member.  Our results in early November came back the next day.   We drove through Friday a.m. and received results of saliva test on Saturday mid day.  I’m sure they are busier with the holidays.  We drove through at San Marcos last week and had results next day.

I think HAL will still test at the port if you have paperwork showing that you took the test in time but haven’t received results yet.

We decided to hang up and log on using our laptops instead of of phones.  That WORKED!!! We tested now and are just waiting for our results. Phew!   I can’t believe we were on hold all morning long and the solution was that simple. So I would recommend any of you who are going to do this in the future use a laptop or a PC, not your phone.  

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Here is the emergency contact numbers from the webpage....Because you get FCC if you test positive, I would hang on to those test results and contact my travel agent immediately.

But no-one ever tests positive....You will be fine!!!!  

Enjoy the cruise.

Here is the emergency number for HAL.

Business Hours: 206-626-9000
After Hours & Holidays: 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294

Thank you so much.  Have a wonderful Christmas!

Helen

You can test at the port in San Diego.....from 11 am until 2:45 pm with a Boarding Pass for the day's sailing.

If a charge is appropriate, you can bill the cost of $100 pp to your onboard account.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

We are hoping to cruise on the Koningsdam and get on board on the 2nd of February but probably the latest test we can get in Canada before we fly out is a little more than 2 days prior to embarkation . I tried looking for testing in San Diego at local Pharmacies but it is either very far from our hotel or impossible to prebook specially as a Canadian .
Can anybody tell me that we can possibly book at the terminal before we get on board . I thought that HAL does not do that anymore in February.

Thank you for any help with this , much appreciated 
Tony 

9 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

You can test at the port in San Diego.....from 11 am until 2:45 pm with a Boarding Pass for the day's sailing.

If a charge is appropriate, you can bill the cost of $100 pp to your onboard account.

David

Does this service require a reservation? There is a site (DocGo.com?) that says they do tests at the pier for $100 that will go onto your online bill, but says you have to make a rez with them before the cruise.🤔

Edited by PSR
  • Like 1

Our dear friend that is in the cabin next to us on tomorrows Niew Statendam sailing, unfortunately was around outside with somone who recently tested positive for covid. The health questionnaire asks that question. God bless her, she did the right thing and said yes. Unfortunately she was then lead to another screen and referred to talk to someone. Long story short, she’s not allowed to sail. Haven’t got her covid results back yet, done 12/24/21. Even if negative its a no go. Quarantine from exposure to illness 2-14 days. I bet there are many people who say no to that question even though they were. Thus outbreaks on the ships. Hard to say. My husband got his negative covid test from yesterday. I’m still waiting for mine.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, HELENPSL said:

Helen

We are also scheduled to leave on Jan 2.  Nowhere within 150 miles of us is a testing facility open on Dec 31 or Jan 1.  HAL gave the name of two sites, but neither of them are open on those two days either,  We are scheduled for Dec 30 at 4 pm, the absolute latest testing time on that day until Jan 3.  HAL says that is the best they can do.  Any help from any of you would be great!

We did the EMed Abbott Binax-Now proctored tests on our laptops last week.  Three of us tested. The test process was easy and painless...just swipe 3/4 inch in each nostril...no long probe up into your sinus.

Our online wait time after account setup was just a minute or two.  Wait time to get the video proctor back after taking the test was less than a minute.  The only negative with the EMed test process was the online proctors were all a bit difficult to understand (strong accent).

Just make sure you use the test kits sold through EMed or its linked company, Optum.  The Binax-Now kits over the counter at drug stores don't qualify for travel verification.  I ordered back in Nov...took about 5 days to arrive despite online estimate of 2-day service.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kenphy said:

We are also scheduled to leave on Jan 2.  Nowhere within 150 miles of us is a testing facility open on Dec 31 or Jan 1.  HAL gave the name of two sites, but neither of them are open on those two days either,  We are scheduled for Dec 30 at 4 pm, the absolute latest testing time on that day until Jan 3.  HAL says that is the best they can do.  Any help from any of you would be great!

Did HAL tell you testing on Dec 30 was OK for a Jan 2 departure?  The current requirement is to test no more than 2 days prior to cruise departure date.  It used to be 3 days but was reduced to 2 days at least a month ago.

33 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

As I understand it....a PCR test can be 3 days out.....the rapid antigen test only 2 days.

David

Haven't seen anything about getting an extra day's window for a PCR test.  HAL's "Testing Requirements & Guidelines" page states (and they bold printed 2 days),

On voyages sailing through March 31, 2022, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation.