Cabo San Lucas Whale watching question??

FBegg

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has gone on the NCL sponsored Catamaran whale watching shore excursion?

Did you like it? Would you do it again?  

We've gone whale watching a couple of times before quite a few years ago.  Both times we drove down to Scammon's Lagoon & Guererro Negro in Baja, camped on the lagoon(s) shore(s). We could hear the whales expelling air through their blow holes all night long!  Had a wonderful time, great experience, they take you out during the day in small panga boats. 

The catamaran sounds like it could be fun too in a different way. I'm assuming the catamaran is a larger one?

Sounds like they serve you drinks etc...?  

1 hour ago, FBegg said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has gone on the NCL sponsored Catamaran whale watching shore excursion?

Did you like it? Would you do it again?  

We've gone whale watching a couple of times before quite a few years ago.  Both times we drove down to Scammon's Lagoon & Guererro Negro in Baja, camped on the lagoon(s) shore(s). We could hear the whales expelling air through their blow holes all night long!  Had a wonderful time, great experience, they take you out during the day in small panga boats. 

The catamaran sounds like it could be fun too in a different way. I'm assuming the catamaran is a larger one?

Sounds like they serve you drinks etc...?  

I've been on this excursion (January 2020). It's a larger catamaran and not terribly luxurious. Rum-based drinks were readily available.

The important bit was that the whales were plentiful and the crew did a good job of getting us close enough for great viewing but far away enough to respect the whales' space. I mean, it got to the point of "oh, look, more whales, so anyway..." - that's how many we saw. I remember a woman lamenting that she hadn't filmed any of it so she was just going to start her iPhone's recording and see what happened. Within a minute (literally!), a whale did a full breech really close by. It was spectacular and she got it all on video.

It's not going to compare to a small boat experience (not even close to it!), but it's an enjoyable and inexpensive excursion. We met the catamaran right by the dock so it was super convenient - you didn't even leave the secured area. The tour was short enough to allow plenty of time in Cabo.

• Like 2

Thank you "coastcat.' I appreciate your opinion. 😀

The excursion sounds totally enjoyable. We think the excursion is reasonably priced too.

Sounds like a plus that there will be time in Cabo as well.

I was on the whale watching catamaran the week of December 12th. It was the first week the whale watching was offered this year. The catamaran was large and there was probably 80 people on board. We only saw a few whales from a distance and were not able to get close. The catamaran is very slow at getting to a sighting when the whale is seen in the distance. 

I have been on a different whale watching tour many years ago. It was a small speedboat and we saw many whales up close. It was a completely different experience.

The catamaran was fine. I also guess the week that you go makes a difference. Maybe I was too early in the season this year. We still had fun on the tour.

• Like 1

I've never been on a ships excursion to see whales.  But if you go to Cabo in the winter months, it can be spectacular.  Over the years, we've seen countless whales.  But at Cabo in January, the whales were breaching "way" out of the water.  They were really putting on a show.  We could see it great right from our balcony on the ship as we were anchored.  But on the boats it could only be better.  

27 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

I've never been on a ships excursion to see whales.  But if you go to Cabo in the winter months, it can be spectacular.  Over the years, we've seen countless whales.  But at Cabo in January, the whales were breaching "way" out of the water.  They were really putting on a show.  We could see it great right from our balcony on the ship as we were anchored.  But on the boats it could only be better.  

When we were in Cabo in January 2017 on the NCL Jewel, we took a private excursion in a small boat with Whale Watch Cabo. It was the perfect time of year and the excursion was fabulous. image.thumb.jpeg.8f9c2ec22b5011abe81360247d82907c.jpegimage.jpeg.6f348f8438c014a257b88e6f9dd4c67a.jpeg

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 3

Just note that internet reports indicate Cabo San Lucas (and other Mexican ports at least on the Pacific side) are closed to cruise ships now.  If you are thinking of going there in January you may want to check this out.  We know the Regent Mariner, on its way from Miami to San Francisco at the moment, had to skip every Mexican port.

11 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just note that internet reports indicate Cabo San Lucas (and other Mexican ports at least on the Pacific side) are closed to cruise ships now.  If you are thinking of going there in January you may want to check this out.  We know the Regent Mariner, on its way from Miami to San Francisco at the moment, had to skip every Mexican port.

Do you have a source for this?  All I could find was an HAL ship being sent away from one port after a minor outbreak on the ship.

2 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

Do you have a source for this?  All I could find was an HAL ship being sent away from one port after a minor outbreak on the ship.

Just go over to the Cruise Critic Regent Message Board and you can read current commentary from passengers on board the Regent Mariner.

15 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

4 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Just go over to the Cruise Critic Regent Message Board and you can read current commentary from passengers on board the Regent Mariner.

I just checked the "live from" Mariner thread on that board, and that thread doesn't really "indicate Cabo San Lucas (and other Mexican ports at least on the Pacific side) are closed to cruise ships now."   It shows a letter delivered to pax on board saying that Acapulco was closed to cruise ships, and that the ship also replaced its calls to Cabo and Mazatlan, but it doesn't say those ports were closed.  Anyone cruising in the near future of course should be paying attention to what is going on, but right now I don't think we can say the Mexican ports, plural, are point blank closed, without a link to some official announcement.

This article dated today states specifically that Mexico is remaining open to cruise ships.

The Mexican government said Wednesday it will allow cruise ships carrying people infected with the coronavirus to dock. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/nation/story/2021-12-28/mexico-says-cruise-ships-with-coronavirus-cases-can-dock

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This article dated today states specifically that Mexico is remaining open to cruise ships.

The Mexican government said Wednesday it will allow cruise ships carrying people infected with the coronavirus to dock. 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/nation/story/2021-12-28/mexico-says-cruise-ships-with-coronavirus-cases-can-dock

Wow, after reading that article, one might want to reconsider going ashore in Mexico.  😮

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

The following from contributor "flossie" on the Cruise Critic Regent Message Board:

"After a warm welcome for Mariner from Costa Rica on Christmas Day, we have today been denied entry into Guatamala.

Having also had all ports in Mexico cancelled, we are now sailing direct to San Diego (arrival scheduled for January 1st); then due to arrive in San Francisco two days earlier than planned".