Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

We have been told that there are roughly 744 passengers leaving Fort Lauderdale with approximately 300-400 passengers continuing on the World Cruise. We will pick up another 300-400 in Los Angeles to make a total of 650 or so going on the rest of the world cruise with us. 

There have been approximately 10 positive cases on board thus far (this number is an approximation). We are hopeful that there will be no more cases. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very warm and humid today.  Good pool day.  But for some reason the pool roof is only open a small fraction.  People begging for some air, but so far, no go.  We all hope the positive cases have settled.  We came back from lunch to an official looking letter in our stateroom mailbox.  My heart stopped, but they only wanted my husband to register his credit card.  Whew!!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Very warm and humid today.  Good pool day.  But for some reason the pool roof is only open a small fraction.  People begging for some air, but so far, no go.  We all hope the positive cases have settled.  We came back from lunch to an official looking letter in our stateroom mailbox.  My heart stopped, but they only wanted my husband to register his credit card.  Whew!!

Same here!

“On Monday, the CDC announced that it is cutting isolation restrictions on those who test positive for COVID-19 in half. Asymptomatic people who get the virus or come into contact with those who have can now leave isolation after five days. The previous mark was 10 days.”  Hopefully this will encourage Viking to isolate asymptomatic people who test positive instead of making them leave the cruise at the nearest port. 

https://www.newsbreak.com/n/0dWy4npk?pd=08P5ljSZ&lang=en_US&s=i16

Edited by TallyDiDi
  • Like 5

51 minutes ago, TallyDiDi said:

“On Monday, the CDC announced that it is cutting isolation restrictions on those who test positive for COVID-19 in half. Asymptomatic people who get the virus or come into contact with those who have can now leave isolation after five days. The previous mark was 10 days.”  Hopefully this will encourage Viking to isolate asymptomatic people who test positive instead of making them leave the cruise at the nearest port. 

https://www.newsbreak.com/n/0dWy4npk?pd=08P5ljSZ&lang=en_US&s=i16

In addition, “the CDC says people who are fully vaccinated and boosted do not need to quarantine after exposure.” That’s really good news!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-cuts-covid-19-isolation-guidance-5-days-omicron-surge/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

• Like 3

yes, well…

the captain came on a few minutes ago.  Nine pax and 2 crew infected and in isolation.  All gatherings for today canceled, lectures, meetings, and group get togethers.  CDC new rules don’t apply onboard the ship.  Who knows if Cartagena will accept us tomorrow.  They turned away a few ships last week.  Glad Viking is being diligent.  

• Like 6

17 hours ago, JM0115 said:

There have been approximately 10 positive cases on board thus far 

Wow!  Ten positive cases in three days.  This in a group that is fully vaccinated and tested negative days earlier.  That's not encouraging.  Well, I'm keeping my 2022 Star booking anyway.  

We were told by the GM that they believe all positive cases came on with Covid at Fort Lauderdale embarkation and that the antigen test is just a moment in time. People could have contracted it before or after the antigen test while at home or while traveling. He also told us that in 18 months no cases were known to have some from excursions. He said that most people are cautious during excursions and do not go to bars and other places while at port that could cause them to contract Covid. Some people joining us at LA will undoubtedly and unfortunately bring Covid with them but once we are at sea for a few days things should get better.  We would like to meet more people on board but are still keeping mostly to ourselves. I feel like things will be much better a few days after Los Angeles. We still love being on the ship and I personally really enjoy just looking at the ocean as we sail.

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I rang for room service but no one came so I had to make my own breakfast this morning.  Living vicariously is not quite the same as being there dammit. 😂

Mike didn't bring you a pistachio roll?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

We were told by the GM that they believe all positive cases came on with Covid at Fort Lauderdale embarkation and that the antigen test is just a moment in time. People could have contracted it before or after the antigen test while at home or while traveling. He also told us that in 18 months no cases were known to have some from excursions. He said that most people are cautious during excursions and do not go to bars and other places while at port that could cause them to contract Covid. Some people joining us at LA will undoubtedly and unfortunately bring Covid with them but once we are at sea for a few days things should get better.  We would like to meet more people on board but are still keeping mostly to ourselves. I feel like things will be much better a few days after Los Angeles. We still love being on the ship and I personally really enjoy just looking at the ocean as we sail.

Exactly right.  Testing tells only what you were at a past point in time.  Since you are tested negatively twice before boarding, and are boarding a fully vaxxed and tested ship, and given covid incubation times, the only possible is being infected during travel to the ship.  For the vast majority that means flying so no matter what the "experts" say, being strapped in a closed tube for hours inches from strangers forward, aft, and to the sides, is not a "safe" space.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Exactly right.  Testing tells only what you were at a past point in time.  Since you are tested negatively twice before boarding, and are boarding a fully vaxxed and tested ship, and given covid incubation times, the only possible is being infected during travel to the ship.  For the vast majority that means flying so no matter what the "experts" say, being strapped in a closed tube for hours inches from strangers forward, aft, and to the sides, is not a "safe" space.  

Not to mention the 500-600 people (including us) who were in line in the terminal port at Fort Lauderdale one foot from each other on each other waiting to be tested before boarding. We were in close proximity for ~2 hrs in the terminal building. Almost all were masked but they also passed out water bottles (which was a good thing) but hard to wear a mask while drinking water. I was not in the least comfortable and felt that this situation was entirely unacceptable. I hope that those embarking in LA do not have to go through this. We made our thoughts known on the embarkation questionnaire so I hope that helps the folks getting on in LA.

CD6515E6-972D-4301-9D18-6BD22E3569F8.heic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Not to mention the 500-600 people (including us) who were in line in the terminal port at Fort Lauderdale one foot from each other on each other waiting to be tested before boarding. We were in close proximity for ~2 hrs in the terminal building. Almost all were masked but they also passed out water bottles (which was a good thing) but hard to wear a mask while drinking water. I was not in the least comfortable and felt that this situation was entirely unacceptable. I hope that those embarking in LA do not have to go through this. We made our thoughts known on the embarkation questionnaire so I hope that helps the folks getting on in LA.

CD6515E6-972D-4301-9D18-6BD22E3569F8.heic 2.48 MB · 7 downloads

Jim, we thought the same thing.  Plus, there were multiple people that failed to understand the "masks must cover both your nose and mouth completely" instruction - in fact, we continue to see the one man on board with his mask below his nose and mouth constantly.  If we had already been given trackers, based on how close everyone was in the terminal, we would all be isolated as close contacts.  Fingers crossed that the LA passengers have a better boarding experience than we did in Port Everglades.

Edited by GKTV32162
My usual typos caught after posting...
  • Like 2

Captain announced 9 pax and 2 crew now in quarantine and 10 pax close contact in self isolation.

CDC protocols do not apply to ships at sea so Viking is not reducing to 5 days, but, I’m not clear on exactly what the plan is for quarantined folks.

Tom

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

Mike didn't bring you a pistachio roll?

No! I have suggested he needs to figure out to make them.  He says pistachios are so expensive that it might be cheaper to cruise😂

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Thanks so much for setting this up.  Lots of avid lurkers here...🍸

Yes (THANK YOU) to the Jim that set this page on CC up.  And we are looking forward to meeting Jim Avery on the 22/23 WC. Russ and Jan Story. Travelerstory

• Like 1