Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy...thanks for further clarification. Most interesting, though, is why are these countries excluded? Any particular reason? 

As to the itinerary, I'm seeing that the cruise ends in Tilbury - not Bergen. 

Passengers could book the cruise ti Tillbury or to Bergen…at the same cost as I recall. 

58 minutes ago, YYC F/A said:

I believe Devils Island, Venezuela also counts as a far foreign port, however other than the ABC islands I believe this is the only Caribbean island stop that qualifies for the PVSA exception.

Devil's Island is part of French Guiana, not Venezuela, but regardless South America qualifies.

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy...thanks for further clarification. Most interesting, though, is why are these countries excluded? Any particular reason? 

As to the itinerary, I'm seeing that the cruise ends in Tilbury - not Bergen. 

The ABC Islands are just off the S/America Coast, with Aruba being less than 20 miles, if memory is correct.

The WC technically ends in Tilbury, but since the next cruise starts in Bergen, they received a comp offer to extend to Bergen.

• Like 1

Jim Avery on this day 4 years ago we were headed to LA a few days early to join the SUN on an adventure of a lifetime...curious when you did your next one, although that had any segments so maybe not comparing apples to apples, were you disappointed.  Was the awe gone.  We had such a wonderful time and I love seeing my Facebook Memory posts flash up every now and again.

those of you on board now ENJOY!!!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, spryder said:

Yep!  Get outside on the walkway in front of the Explorers Lounge and claim a standing spot early before it gets packed.  We watched the entire transit from up there and felt like we missed almost nothing.  Only downside is that there is something of an audio lecture given by the ship's historian throughout the transit but for some reason they don't bother piping it to the outdoor areas, so we missed out on that.

What about deck 2, aft - you don't get to see everything as you come in.  But I love to stand or sit back there and take pictures!  It's my secret spot that's not really so secret!

(I'm mostly a lurker.)

20 hours ago, UWDawg said:

I see that the review of the Puntarenas Panorama wasn’t favorable [per Garry’s blog], so I was wondering if others might chime in as to their reviews of the other Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera), Costa Rica excursions which were offered:

• Jungle Boat & Crocodile Safari
  • A Walk in The Clouds
  • Andalusian Horse Show
  • The Story of Starbucks Coffee from Field to Cup
  • Eco-Bike Adventure

Was the panorama excursion the included excursion, I assume?

58 minutes ago, deec said:

Jim Avery on this day 4 years ago we were headed to LA a few days early to join the SUN on an adventure of a lifetime...curious when you did your next one, although that had any segments so maybe not comparing apples to apples, were you disappointed.  Was the awe gone.  We had such a wonderful time and I love seeing my Facebook Memory posts flash up every now and again.

those of you on board now ENJOY!!!

Dee, how can it possibly be 4 years ago??  Wow!  As to the second WC, yes the segments made it different.  But then we met folks on segments that we hated to see leave.  The "special"  was somewhat diminished.  No Mr. Hagen, No Karine, no Finse.  Still better than work....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Was the panorama excursion the included excursion, I assume?

Yes, the Puntarenas Panorama excursion was the included excursion at Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera), Costa Rica.  While https://kolbsontheroad.blogspot.com/ didn't have a favorable review of the Panorama excursion... apparently due to the transport to and from... 
https://roseandtedsexcellentadventure.com/ and others on FaceBook seemed to have enjoyed this included excursion.

We were on the 2017-18 WC and we took the included tour at Puntarenas.  Not our favorite but the guide was great.  My thought would be that you are going to visit soooo many awesome places and you may want to weigh which ports you really want to spend your $$ on.  If you don't really have a strong desire for any of the excursions or this port was not at/near the top of your list, then take the included one.  That's just my opinion, of course!  Have a great time!!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, Heidi13 said:

For a Foreign-Flagged ship to perform this function, the US Cabotage Laws (PVSA) state the ship MUST visit a "Distant Foreign Port".

Andy, 

Does this mean that if a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruise were to leave out of Bayonne or Baltimore, explore the New England States and then come back to Boston..or even make its way down the coast and end in someplace like FL or New Orleans - would that be in violation? I seem to recall seeing these sorts of itineraries all the time that don't necessarily include an ABC island, let alone Cartagena!  Guess I'm still a bit confused on all the intricacies of this. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, 

Does this mean that if a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruise were to leave out of Bayonne or Baltimore, explore the New England States and then come back to Boston..or even make its way down the coast and end in someplace like FL or New Orleans - would that be in violation? I seem to recall seeing these sorts of itineraries all the time that don't necessarily include an ABC island, let alone Cartagena!  Guess I'm still a bit confused on all the intricacies of this. 

Affirmative, if pax board and disembark in different US ports, then the vessel must have visited a Distant Foreign Port to prevent US PVSA violations. On Northern cruises, they can hop over to Greenland.

48 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, if pax board and disembark in different US ports, then the vessel must have visited a Distant Foreign Port to prevent US PVSA violations. On Northern cruises, they can hop over to Greenland.

Interesting. I'll have to start taking notice of itineraries more closely that aren't closed loop to see what else they add to satisfy the law. Most of what we've done returns to the embarkation port so then of course no issue with PVSA. Thanks Andy. 

OK....so does the same apply to Celebrity's one-way cruise that goes from San Diego to Vancouver?   No violation on that one?  Just wondering being that it was said in this thread that visiting Canada doesn't count  - so where is the "foreign port"?  

Edited by OnTheJourney

Just now, OnTheJourney said:

OK....so does the same apply to Celebrity's one-way cruise that goes from San Diego to Vancouver?  

Rather than litigate here on Cruise Critic, I would suggest you read the appropriate US Code of Federal Regulations.  All available online and will tell you every possible thing you could want to know about regulatory minutiae.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

OK....so does the same apply to Celebrity's one-way cruise that goes from San Diego to Vancouver?   No violation on that one?  Just wondering being that it was said in this thread that visiting Canada doesn't count  - so where is the "foreign port"?  

This wouldn’t be an American loop, beginning and ending in an American port.  Different rules.  I’m a lawyer, not a captain,  but I think that’s right.  Maritime law wasn’t my specialty, lol.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Not trying to litigate anything, but some of this doesn't seem entirely copacetic. Celebrity also has a cruise that starts in Oahu and ends in Vancouver. How is that not in violation? 

Not in violation because it ends in a foreign country. As @SantaFe1said,  the PVSA restrictions apply only to cruises that both start and end in a US port, or more accurately to passengers who both embark and disembark in a US port.

Here's the official document from US CBP that explains the PVSA:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Sep/PVSA-ICP.pdf

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1