Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

7 hours ago, BQEC said:

So very sorry to hear this bad news! Been following this all along. You and Arlona are such a great team! Maybe Viking will supply her with art supplies ..... that might be nice for her. Boo, hoo.  

That was her thought too. We will look into it. It is a way to pass the time.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

I'm so sorry. I hope that she has a mild case. I'm glad to hear that you don't have to isolate. Didn't they used to make the partner stay isolated in the original stateroom for 5 days?

Yes, but with their daily testing, they catch cases immediately so they no longer isolate close contacts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Yes, but with their daily testing, they catch cases immediately so they no longer isolate close contacts. 

But not quite immediately?  Arlona's test sample was early in the morning, but they were able to mix throughout the day, went on a tour, and only told in the evening.  Don't get me wrong, I no longer feel that close contacts should be isolated, but we all have to be aware that Covid will spread fairly easily unless extremely tight precautions are taken.  

I have fingers crossed that Arlona will be quarantined for only a few days, and that she can then enjoy the rest of the cruise.  

(And also glad that we postponed our June cruise!  This was the one fear we had - spending most of our holiday in a quarantine hotel or cabin).

21 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

But not quite immediately?  Arlona's test sample was early in the morning, but they were able to mix throughout the day, went on a tour, and only told in the evening.  Don't get me wrong, I no longer feel that close contacts should be isolated, but we all have to be aware that Covid will spread fairly easily unless extremely tight precautions are taken.  

I have fingers crossed that Arlona will be quarantined for only a few days, and that she can then enjoy the rest of the cruise.  

(And also glad that we postponed our June cruise!  This was the one fear we had - spending most of our holiday in a quarantine hotel or cabin).

To be clear, we were notified as soon as the results were available. Tests are not instant and they are testing 1000 people daily. The test catches cases early before the patient is in the heavy contagious phase port their testing, so she was isolated properly.

Viking has been and continues to take this very seriously and we feel takes appropriate safety measures to protect its guests.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:

To be clear, we were notified as soon as the results were available. Tests are not instant and they are testing 1000 people daily. The test catches cases early before the patient is in the heavy contagious phase port their testing, so she was isolated properly.

Viking has been and continues to take this very seriously and we feel takes appropriate safety measures to protect its guests.

Yes, I was onboard Venus for 3 weeks over Christmas/New Year, so fully understand the procedures and issues.  We watched people being taken off and transported by ambulance on several occasions, to quarantine hotels.

I agree Viking is doing more than most and they're still our favourites!  But still glad I don't have any further ocean cruises planned this year, and the one Viking river cruise we have booked for November/December is covered by the Risk Free guarantee which was in place when we booked, so we might be postponing that too if we're still not happy with Covid stuff. 

So sorry you've been affected.  

JB

11 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Sorry to hear of the Covid, good thoughts your way

I too am so sorry this happened to Arlona and hope you stay Covid free.  If you chose to continue to tour, photograph and write, we will all enjoy it.  I think Arlona will also.  My DH has taken excursions that were too difficult for me but i was always able to see it through his photos.  You can also give us accurate information about life in quarantine on an ocean ship.  

• Like 2

Garry:  Add my good wishes for Alona's rapid recovery.  Seven cases expanding to 21 cases is not good.  Transmission likely from your room steward but who knows.

We are adjusting well to being home and get Pfizer shot #4 this afternoon.

14 minutes ago, Redwarrior68 said:

Garry:  Add my good wishes for Alona's rapid recovery.  Seven cases expanding to 21 cases is not good.  Transmission likely from your room steward but who knows.

We are adjusting well to being home and get Pfizer shot #4 this afternoon.

There is absolutely no chance it came from our room steward.  We was quarantined way back on 5/3.  Incubation doesn't last for 11 days.  Arlona is doing well and Viking is treated her well, delivering whatever she needs.

Thanks for the good wishes and we'll be getting Moderna #4 when we get home.

Glad you can get a 4th booster when you are home Garry - here in the UK we can only get a 4th if we are over 75 or are clinically vulnerable.

As to where Arlona got it - who knows but if she got it from your steward he/ she would have tested positive before Arlona and you would have had a change of steward

Most likely a new passenger or picked up off shore

Incidentally what do Viking do as you have opted to stay in your own cabin and not isolate together. I have read that some cruise companies restrict the FCC in these  circumstances

Best wishes to Arlona and hope you stay Covid free 

Oops  just caught up on up on all your posts and read about your stewards. Who knows?

Edited by gadabout60

Very sorry Arlona is experiencing the isolation.  Three/four shots and people still test positive?  Something wrong with this picture.  Not sure what but it seems the vax is working about as well as an annual flu shot.  Last year my PCP said the flu shot was about 15% effective. At least most positives are not sick.  I sure have a large collection of chemicals in me for all the vaccines over the years.  Hope they are all good things.  Anyway hope y'all get home without any further difficulties.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Very sorry Arlona is experiencing the isolation.  Three/four shots and people still test positive?  Something wrong with this picture.  Not sure what but it seems the vax is working about as well as an annual flu shot.  Last year my PCP said the flu shot was about 15% effective. At least most positives are not sick.  I sure have a large collection of chemicals in me for all the vaccines over the years.  Hope they are all good things.  Anyway hope y'all get home without any further difficulties.  

Jim 

The vaccines don’t stop you getting Covid but for the vast majority will minimise the illness 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gadabout60 said:

Jim 

The vaccines don’t stop you getting Covid but for the vast majority will minimise the illness 

Yes but how many shots are really necessary?  One every 6 months?  I personally have not really felt 100% since the first two so am a bit hesitant to keep having it put in me.  I am, as we all are, exposed to lots of stuff each day.  No way to prevent everything.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes but how many shots are really necessary?  One every 6 months?  I personally have not really felt 100% since the first two so am a bit hesitant to keep having it put in me.  I am, as we all are, exposed to lots of stuff each day.  No way to prevent everything.

I guess this is where we have to make our own decisions about what we feel is right for us and take the consequences of that - eg restricted travel for a while if we are not “fully vaccinated”

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

The vaccine was *never* advertised to prevent COVID.  What it was designed to do was minimize your chance of getting it, and if you do, reduce the impacts to that of a cold or perhaps the flu.  Arlona's 92-year-old dad, fully vaxed, got it, and it was essentially a cold to him.  Arlona is in the same situation now.  So, we're hoping for a quick recovery and negative test results.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 12

Garry, just caught up with your blog from yesterday and today.  So sorry to learn about Arlona, and so many others on the ship.  Praying for a speedy, full recovery.  Having followed your blog, and this thread from the start, I feel like I know you and Arlona, and other posters, as cruise friends.  Perhaps our paths will cross in the future.  Would love to meet you folks!  Knowing how sociable you are, and your love for Arlona, it must be so difficult for you now to be apart, and alone.  Best regards, FetaCheese

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 143/152 Viking Homelands - Oslo, Norway - Nearly a sea day, and now sailing alone

Hi Garry I am pleased she is feeling well and your are negative!

I have a question, with 25 cases that’s 25 cabins taken on deck 3 how many cabins do the have for quarantine cases? 

We are booked in a DV6 cabin on deck 3 🙈🙈