Does travel insurance cover cost of cruise when flights to cruise are cancelled?

Pushkin

In light of all of the flight cancellations in the last few days, I am worried about our flight to FLL (jan 3) to board a cruise being cancelled. We purchased travel protection through CruisesOnly (booked the cruise on Celebrity Equinox through them).  

The policy terms are confusing, but nowhere does it seem to say that if your flight is cancelled the insurance company will refund the cost of the cruise.  (I am not worried about the airfare - it would be refunded by Delta.)

Under the delay clause, it contains some language about what would happen if your flight is delayed -- but nothing about if your flight is cancelled. 

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this issue, in general?

Thank you!

Not all policies are the same; however, if your policy covers this, it will be listed under covered reasons in the trip cancellation section. Most policies cover loss caused by cancellation of common carrier for weather, mechanical breakdown or strike that affects public transportation.  I can’t say I’ve seen language regarding cancellations of common carrier because they don’t have enough crew to staff the flights. If it is not specifically named in the list of covered reasons for cancellation, it is not covered.

It does not come under trip delay because you are missing the entire cruise. Trip delay provides for expenses for you to catch up, such as another flight at another time.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Not all policies are the same; however, if your policy covers this, it will be listed under covered reasons in the trip cancellation section. Most policies cover loss caused by cancellation of common carrier for weather, mechanical breakdown or strike that affects public transportation.  I can’t say I’ve seen language regarding cancellations of common carrier because they don’t have enough crew to staff the flights. If it is not specifically named in the list of covered reasons for cancellation, it is not covered.

It does not come under trip delay because you are missing the entire cruise. Trip delay provides for expenses for you to catch up, such as another flight at another time.

What a terrible outcome!  I get it - it's not in the "Other reasons" section, but just think how many people have been in this position in the last few days, let alone the days to come!  There are going to be a lot of very angry cruisers!

52 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yes, they will be angry, hopefully at themselves for not engaging an insurance broker and/or not reading the policy before purchase.

bon voyage

I agree about having insurance - which I always do.  The problem I see is that a sample of about 4 difference policies/companies (in addition to my current policy) shows that NONE of them would cover cruise fare if an airline cancels a flight due to a reason other than weather or mechanical failure.  I realize my sample is not exhaustive, but does anyone have a policy that covers this situation?

7 hours ago, Pushkin said:

I agree about having insurance - which I always do.  The problem I see is that a sample of about 4 difference policies/companies (in addition to my current policy) shows that NONE of them would cover cruise fare if an airline cancels a flight due to a reason other than weather or mechanical failure.  I realize my sample is not exhaustive, but does anyone have a policy that covers this situation?

Fortunately my CSP will, once any voucher received has expired.

Again, you can call a broker such as The Trip Insurance Store, spoken about on this board quite often and in the attendant sub-forum, to speak with an expert broker who can guide you through most ANY situation or question one may have.

Good luck.

bon voyage

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pushkin said:

In light of all of the flight cancellations in the last few days, I am worried about our flight to FLL (jan 3) to board a cruise being cancelled. We purchased travel protection through CruisesOnly (booked the cruise on Celebrity Equinox through them).  

The policy terms are confusing, but nowhere does it seem to say that if your flight is cancelled the insurance company will refund the cost of the cruise.  (I am not worried about the airfare - it would be refunded by Delta.)

Under the delay clause, it contains some language about what would happen if your flight is delayed -- but nothing about if your flight is cancelled. 

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this issue, in general?

Thank you!

Hi Pushkin,

Since you bought the coverage from CruisesOnly, in my opinion, they are ethically obligated to explain how your policy works because they collected a commission on its sale.

If Delta cancels the flight, you will have a "Carrier caused delay". There are also a few other reasons that cause Trip Delays (weather, strikes).

In some plans a Trip Delay can turn into a trip cancellation if you are delayed at least 50% of the length of your trip’s duration. This is a bigger benefit on shorter trip lengths.

You will have to look in the Trip Cancellation section.

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Pushkin,

Since you bought the coverage from CruisesOnly, in my opinion, they are ethically obligated to explain how your policy works because they collected a commission on its sale.

If Delta cancels the flight, you will have a "Carrier caused delay". There are also a few other reasons that cause Trip Delays (weather, strikes).

In some plans a Trip Delay can turn into a trip cancellation if you are delayed at least 50% of the length of your trip’s duration. This is a bigger benefit on shorter trip lengths.

Steve Dasseos

Thank you for this information.  My TA is reaching out to their insurance liaison.  I'm just wishing, hoping and praying that our flight is not cancelled so I do not have to deal with this.  Forewarned is forearmed for my next cruise!

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Pushkin,

Steve Dasseos

Steve,  "Ethically Obligated?"  Surely you jest.  But in all seriousness, we both know of some insurance companies that go above and beyond with ethical considerations.  But there are many more companies that will do everything within its legal power to avoid paying part or all of a claim.

One other warning for folks is that the Trip Delay benefit will often have a provision that requires the scheduled flight arrive X number of hours prior to a cruise.  What we wonder (perhaps you can respond to this issue) is what happens when the insured purchases an airline ticket that meets that requirement, but the flight times are later changed (by the airline) so that the scheduled arrival time no longer meets the minimum time requirement.  

Hank

Hank

I am also concerned about flight cancellation. I looked into many CFAR travel insurance plans and they state they are valid "up to 48 hours prior to your departure". Airlines usually wait until the last minute to cancel so I don't think there's a way around flight cancellation due to staffing issues.  

Carnival protection plan states you "MAY" be eligible for a cruise credit. Does anyone know when you "may" or "may not" be covered? Thanks

Cancel your cruise for "any other reason", you MAY be eligible for cruise credits up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost as long as the Cruise Vacation Protection is purchased prior to final payment. 

Edited by kilkoyne

On 12/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, Bo1953 said:

Fortunately my CSP will, once any voucher received has expired.

Again, you can call a broker such as The Trip Insurance Store, spoken about on this board quite often and in the attendant sub-forum, to speak with an expert broker who can guide you through most ANY situation or question one may have.

Good luck.

bon voyage

I haven't found a CFAR that doesn't require cancellation to be at least 48 hours prior to your vacation. The Trip Insurance Store also states this. If true then the cancellation of airline (weather, mechanical breakdown or strike that affects public transportation) means you're not covered. 

This is taken from The Trip Insurance Store website:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance-plans/

All plans require:

1. You buy the policy by its deadline (typically within 14 – 21 days after your initial trip payment.
  2. You insure 100% of your expected prepaid non-refundable trip costs if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute. There will be no coverage available under the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit if you insure an amount less than your total prepaid trip costs that are non-refundable on your Departure Date.
  3. You are not disabled from travel at the time you pay your premium
  4. You insure the entire length of your trip
  5. You cancel your Trip not less than 48 hours prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date for Travel Insured. TravelSafe‘s deadline is not less than 2 calendar days prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date.

Edited by kilkoyne

1 hour ago, kilkoyne said:

I haven't found a CFAR that doesn't require cancellation to be at least 48 hours prior to your vacation. The Trip Insurance Store also states this. If true then the cancellation of airline (weather, mechanical breakdown or strike that affects public transportation) means you're not covered. 

All plans require:

1. You buy the policy by its deadline (typically within 14 – 21 days after your initial trip payment.
  2. You insure 100% of your expected prepaid non-refundable trip costs if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute. There will be no coverage available under the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit if you insure an amount less than your total prepaid trip costs that are non-refundable on your Departure Date.
  5. You cancel your Trip not less than 48 hours prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date for Travel Insured. TravelSafe‘s deadline is not less than 2 calendar days prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date.

Sorry it was not clearer, it is my credit card, Chase Sapphire, through which I made the travel purchase with, will cover me, not third party insurance coverage...

Yet your citations appear to be correct for those insurance coverages.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
clarification of thought
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 7:32 AM, Hlitner said:

Steve,  "Ethically Obligated?"  Surely you jest.  But in all seriousness, we both know of some insurance companies that go above and beyond with ethical considerations.  But there are many more companies that will do everything within its legal power to avoid paying part or all of a claim.

One other warning for folks is that the Trip Delay benefit will often have a provision that requires the scheduled flight arrive X number of hours prior to a cruise.  What we wonder (perhaps you can respond to this issue) is what happens when the insured purchases an airline ticket that meets that requirement, but the flight times are later changed (by the airline) so that the scheduled arrival time no longer meets the minimum time requirement.  

Hank

Hi Hank,

I know "Ethically Obligated" seems to be an outdated notion, but I still believe that if someone receives a commission for the sale of a product or service that they have a moral obligation to help the person after the sale.

I say this in various places on my website:

“Client” means one that depends on the protection of another, one who leans on another for protection – we will protect you from getting the wrong policy.

> One other warning for folks is that the Trip Delay benefit will often have a provision that requires the scheduled flight arrive X number of hours prior to a cruise.

There likely are plans that include this, but none of the plans I work with have this.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Hank,

I know "Ethically Obligated" seems to be an outdated notion, but I still believe that if someone receives a commission for the sale of a product or service that they have a moral obligation to help the person after the sale.

I say this in various places on my website:

“Client” means one that depends on the protection of another, one who leans on another for protection – we will protect you from getting the wrong policy.

> One other warning for folks is that the Trip Delay benefit will often have a provision that requires the scheduled flight arrive X number of hours prior to a cruise.

There likely are plans that include this, but none of the plans I work with have this.

Steve Dasseos

My comment about "ethically obligated" was meant to refer to the actual insurance companies.  Some insurers look for any way to minimize or deny claims while others use decent case and claims managers that often do the right thing!  One reason I often suggest folks use independent insurance brokers (such as yourself) is that professional brokers are in the best position to know which insurance companies provide the best claims service.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:33 PM, kilkoyne said:

All plans require:

Did you ever find a policy that will cover the cost of a missed cruise if the airline cancels you last minute and cannot get you to the port in time with the new flight?

On 12/29/2021 at 6:33 PM, kilkoyne said:

I haven't found a CFAR that doesn't require cancellation to be at least 48 hours prior to your vacation.

Hi kilkoyne,

There are a few companies that have a CFAR deadline is not less than 2 calendar days prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date.

The difference between canceling the trip "48 hours prior to leaving" and "at least two calendar days prior to leaving" is this:

If you are leaving on a trip on Friday at 11 AM and your cancel for any reason policy includes the wording cancel "48 hours prior to leaving" that means you have to cancel your trip and all your travel arrangements not later than the prior Wednesday at 11 AM. However, if you have a policy where the wording says you have to cancel "two calendar days prior to leaving", then you have to cancel all of your travel arrangements anytime before, but not later than the end of the day on Wednesday.

Steve Dasseos

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi kilkoyne,

There are a few companies that have a CFAR deadline is not less than 2 calendar days prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date.

The difference between canceling the trip "48 hours prior to leaving" and "at least two calendar days prior to leaving" is this:

If you are leaving on a trip on Friday at 11 AM and your cancel for any reason policy includes the wording cancel "48 hours prior to leaving" that means you have to cancel your trip and all your travel arrangements not later than the prior Wednesday at 11 AM. However, if you have a policy where the wording says you have to cancel "two calendar days prior to leaving", then you have to cancel all of your travel arrangements anytime before, but not later than the end of the day on Wednesday.

Steve Dasseos

Is there any policy you can buy close to your cruise date (and not at time of booking) that would cover the cost of your cruise if the airline cancelled your flight and could not get your there in time on a future flight?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NightOne said:

Is there any policy you can buy close to your cruise date (and not at time of booking) that would cover the cost of your cruise if the airline cancelled your flight and could not get your there in time on a future flight?

I searched using The Trip Insurance Store and didn't find anything that would cover either scenario you mentioned.

FYI: I'm not an expert on this topic. 

3 hours ago, NightOne said:

Hi NightOne,

Yes, but in order to have a covered Trip Delay turn into a Trip Cancellation, the plans I know best require that there is one of these:

A 12-24 hour shutdown of common carriers services

or

A Trip Delay that cause you to be delayed at least 50% of the length of your trip’s duration

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NightOne said:

Delete. Question already answered.

Edited by Babr

On 1/12/2022 at 6:16 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi kilkoyne,

What scenarios are you referring to?

Steve Dasseos

Purchasing close to your cruise date: Not sure what you consider is close to your cruise date. There are time frames you must abide by and each company is different. Go to the website check.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/time-sensitive-travel-insurance-benefits/ 

Cancellation of an airline:

(From a previous post) Most policies cover loss caused by cancellation of common carrier for weather, mechanical breakdown or strike that affects public transportation. So, if airlines cancel because of illness and staffing issues you're out of luck.

6 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

Purchasing close to your cruise date: Not sure what you consider is close to your cruise date. There are time frames you must abide by and each company is different. Go to the website check.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/travel-insurance-plans-coverages/time-sensitive-travel-insurance-benefits/ 

Cancellation of an airline:

(From a previous post) Most policies cover loss caused by cancellation of common carrier for weather, mechanical breakdown or strike that affects public transportation. So, if airlines cancel because of illness and staffing issues you're out of luck.

Hi kilkoyne,

I read that page. I can't say why they wrote it like they did, and I would have explained the subject differently, but I think it's fair to say that since they have a lot of different plans they are giving an overview about what might or might not be covered.

Steve Dasseos

1 minute ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi kilkoyne,

I read that page. I can't say why they wrote it like they did, and I would have explained the subject differently, but I think it's fair to say that since they have a lot of different plans they are giving an overview about what might or might not be covered.

Steve Dasseos

Go to the website and fill in your info. Compare the plans and you'll see the exact requirements for each company. I did this when I researched it. It takes a little time but it's fairly easy.

I only compared the CFAR plans and none covered the airline cancellations due to staffing issues so insurance wasn't worth it for me but when I was researching I noticed there were specific time lines for each company for purchasing.  I probably shouldn't have mentioned your time line because I don't know your specific situation.

1 hour ago, kilkoyne said:

Go to the website and fill in your info. Compare the plans and you'll see the exact requirements for each company. I did this when I researched it. It takes a little time but it's fairly easy.

I only compared the CFAR plans and none covered the airline cancellations due to staffing issues so insurance wasn't worth it for me but when I was researching I noticed there were specific time lines for each company for purchasing.  I probably shouldn't have mentioned your time line because I don't know your specific situation.

Hi kilkoyne,

I don't need to go to their website. I already know almost everything there is to know about how trip cancellation travel insurance works.

What I was trying to say without making it sound like I was giving them a backhanded compliment is that my opinion is they have so many plans that they cannot possibly compare exactly how each plan covers these scenarios.

While it is true that the Trip Delay benefits of a trip cancellation travel insurance plan do not cover staffing issues, I have never seen anyone submit claim documentation in a Trip Delay claim where the airline referred to "illnesses" or "staffing issues".

Instead, in every case the airline's official documentation stated it was a "common carrier" delay.

I hope that this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Thanks 1