Can you change flights when NCL booked them?

Karmachelle

Hello fellow cruisers! 

Two friends of mine, and my husband and I, are booked on the Joy on 2/5/22 (two separate rooms/reservations).  Part of the Free at Sea promo we got was 2nd guest gets free airfare.  NCL has recently booked our flights for the day before embarkation (which is what we wanted).  However, we get into Miami at like 9pm.  We were hoping to spend a few hours in Miami and would like to fly in a bit earlier that day.  NCL has said they can not (will not?) change our flights since they are already ticketed.  When I went on the airline's website to choose our seats, I noticed it would let me change our flights.  I called NCL and asked them if it would "break" anything if I changed our flights directly with the airline.  I was told, "Yes, it violates our terms and conditions".  I said, Okay, what happens when your terms and conditions are violated?  She said she had no idea.  Further, I asked how they would know if I changed my flight directly with the airline, and she said "I don't think we would know."   So... my question is, has anyone changed their NCL-purchased flights directly with the airline?  And if so, did anything blow up?

Thanks!!!

M

So very many threads on the flights offer.  Bottom line is that you can't change the flights.  Once you have the booking numbers you're locked in.

You could TRY changing your flights directly but my experience was that it simply wasn't possible even when working with an agent at the check-in desk at the airport.  The response was that because of the fare tier the flight I had was the flight I would get on unless I wanted to book a new ticket out of pocket.

Ordinarily once ticketed the airlines (not all) permit a change alteration to the itinerary

class of service WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE BOOKING - upgrading expenses excepted.

You would have to know of the exact date of that booking/time which NCL may not be

so forthcoming to timely make that alteration.

Changing the time and date of the cruise connected flight may pose a problem for NCL

who may be planning on Charter Bus Shuttle service from the airport to the cruise port.

It should be no problem for you or NCL to be at the airport to take that service that may

be prearranged - "BUT" you set your own terms in getting to the port on your own and

NCL has a contracted empty bus or half full bus messing up or accounting for expected guests ?

Some cruise itineraries due to crossing multiple time zones (think eastbound red-eye trips)

certainly deserve better recovery time to start and enjoy a cruise.

In any event talk it over with NCL or if booked with a TA for a better resolution ! 

• Like 1

If you can change your flight to a time you like, for no extra charge, sure.  Since you're taking a 1 d deviation, there's no airport transfer involved. 

The only possible issue is if there is flight delay/cancellation or luggage issues, NCL won't need to help you as you changed the original flight.

Getting into Miami at 9pm isn't too bad, probably means you didn't need a very early flight.

You may or may not like to go around Miami.  When we were there a few days ago (after disembarking), people in Miami did NOT social distance and a lot of people don't wear mask.

In Ontario, restaurants would be fined if they don't check people for full-vaccination records.  In FL, restaurants would be fined if they check for vaccination records, and schools are banned from mask mandate.  Infection rates are going high in FL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP I hope you don't mind, but I am piggy back on this question.  When booking the cruise and prior to NCL booking the flights, can you request to fly on a different day?  Can you also request the seats with extra leg room?  I'm sure both would have a fee, which I am fine paying but we like to fly in early and my 6'-6" son really needs the extra leg room seats.

4 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

OP I hope you don't mind, but I am piggy back on this question.  When booking the cruise and prior to NCL booking the flights, can you request to fly on a different day?  Can you also request the seats with extra leg room?  I'm sure both would have a fee, which I am fine paying but we like to fly in early and my 6'-6" son really needs the extra leg room seats.

When booking the cruise and prior to NCL booking the flights, can you request to fly on a different day?  

YES - talk it over with the NCL agent - see what is available - a day or two early possible

three days to a week stretching it - no can do.

Upgrades from basic coach to a comfort class seat or business class at your own expense

yes possible - have affinity miles rewards with a specific airline see if the booking can

be with that airline - simply ask !

If upgrading is not possible - don't give up take it up with the airline -

Center seat - back of the bus - is not a suitable option especially long transoceanic flights !

11 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

When booking the cruise and prior to NCL booking the flights, can you request to fly on a different day?  

YES - talk it over with the NCL agent - see what is available - a day or two early possible

three days to a week stretching it - no can do.

Upgrades from basic coach to a comfort class seat or business class at your own expense

yes possible - have affinity miles rewards with a specific airline see if the booking can

be with that airline - simply ask !

If upgrading is not possible - don't give up take it up with the airline -

Center seat - back of the bus - is not a suitable option especially long transoceanic flights !

Thank you!  That is what I was hoping for!  We have frequent flyer miles with Alaska and typically use them for our cross country flights because we can affordably get the comfort class seats with the leg room my son and husband need.  They can suck it up for an hour or two but those LONG flights really get uncomfortable.

I find the answers interesting here, it says right in the contract they wont change your flights.  You can UPGRADE or change dates, but they don't let you change flights on the same day to get better times to get you home better (I tried)

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/getting-to-the-pier/flights-information

I did the stand by and got home much earlier, but again, no help from NCL when I requested earlier flights on the same day going home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

So very many threads on the flights offer.  Bottom line is that you can't change the flights.  Once you have the booking numbers you're locked in.

You could TRY changing your flights directly but my experience was that it simply wasn't possible even when working with an agent at the check-in desk at the airport.  The response was that because of the fare tier the flight I had was the flight I would get on unless I wanted to book a new ticket out of pocket.

Huh. I tried searching but didn’t come up with any. I may need to brush up on my search skills!

46 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

We have an air deviation of 3 days before our cruise.  With the promo you can not request special seating, the promo air includes economy seats.  We did use the record locator number and immediately upon being ticketed logged into the airline (American) in our case and payed directly to the airline to upgrade to the Economy extra seats with additional leg room.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

If you can change your flight to a time you like, for no extra charge, sure.  Since you're taking a 1 d deviation, there's no airport transfer involved. 

The only possible issue is if there is flight delay/cancellation or luggage issues, NCL won't need to help you as you changed the original flight.

Getting into Miami at 9pm isn't too bad, probably means you didn't need a very early flight.

You may or may not like to go around Miami.  When we were there a few days ago (after disembarking), people in Miami did NOT social distance and a lot of people don't wear mask.

In Ontario, restaurants would be fined if they don't check people for full-vaccination records.  In FL, restaurants would be fined if they check for vaccination records, and schools are banned from mask mandate.  Infection rates are going high in FL.

That is what I was thinking too. That the only potential issues would be with delays or luggage issues. We are staying overnight on Miami Beach so we really just wanted a little time to hang out on the beach and grab dinner before heading to bed. 

1 hour ago, hallux said:

The Delta website will let me change my flight for that leg, but American will not for the return leg. I’m really just wondering if there’s anyway I will get in trouble with NCL by changing my Delta flight to an earlier time. 

1 minute ago, Karmachelle said:

The Delta website will let me change my flight for that leg, but American will not for the return leg. I’m really just wondering if there’s anyway I will get in trouble with NCL by changing my Delta flight to an earlier time. 

As was said earlier in the thread, if you do that, it breaks the contract with NCL.  If you ask NCL they will tell you you can not and should not do this.

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

As was said earlier in the thread, if you do that, it breaks the contract with NCL.  If you ask NCL they will tell you you can not and should not do this.

Right, but what does that actually mean?  What is the penalty?  Can I not get on the ship?  Do I have to pay NCL a contract breaking fee?  What happens if I do it?

1 minute ago, Karmachelle said:

Right, but what does that actually mean?  What is the penalty?  Can I not get on the ship?  Do I have to pay NCL a contract breaking fee?  What happens if I do it?

Well, I didn't because no one would tell me what would happen.  Sounds like you are willing to take the chance that I was not.  I have no idea what the penalty would be.  Maybe they charge you the full costs of the flights after the fact.  At this point anything I say would be a guess.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Karmachelle said:

Will it actually?  When I was trying to change my return flight on the day of the flight I was initially told on the phone that I could for a fee of $200 pp.  I got to the ticket desk at the airport and was told that because of the type of ticket I would not be able to do that.  That WAS on AA though.

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Will it actually?  When I was trying to change my return flight on the day of the flight I was initially told on the phone that I could for a fee of $200 pp.  I got to the ticket desk at the airport and was told that because of the type of ticket I would not be able to do that.  That WAS on AA though.

Well, it let me get far enough to put in my credit card info for the $55 fare difference. All I had left to do was click the “confirm and pay” button. Which I haven’t done yet…

On 12/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, sparkygirlfamily said:

We have an air deviation of 3 days before our cruise.  With the promo you can not request special seating, the promo air includes economy seats.  We did use the record locator number and immediately upon being ticketed logged into the airline (American) in our case and payed directly to the airline to upgrade to the Economy extra seats with additional leg room.

Was it significantly more to upgrade to economy plus?

I don't know a direct answer, but I did ask my TA this question when we booked NCL Air. They said any change to flights is possible, but it would be independent of NCL Air. They pay rock bottom prices on flights. In this case, the tickets are through NCL as your TA. Any change would have to be made by them is my understanding. But, once you have the ticket, I guess you can do as you like.

As for cancelations, delays, lost luggage, etc, NCL does not do anything for that anyway. It is all up to you to manage. 

• 1 month later...

I just got my United flights from NCL and was able to pay for Economy Plus seats no problem.

However, our cruise arrives at 7AM and our flight home doesn't depart until 10:30PM (normally we are at the airport by 9AM since we self-disembark and take a taxi).....I tried to change it on the United website to an earlier departure (same price) and it gives an error that says "We are unable to complete your change on united.com" along with a note that you may need to contact your agent.

I haven't called yet to try but I am betting the only success will be with an agent at the airport for same-day or standby.

3 hours ago, pghflyer said:

I just got my United flights from NCL and was able to pay for Economy Plus seats no problem.

However, our cruise arrives at 7AM and our flight home doesn't depart until 10:30PM (normally we are at the airport by 9AM since we self-disembark and take a taxi).....I tried to change it on the United website to an earlier departure (same price) and it gives an error that says "We are unable to complete your change on united.com" along with a note that you may need to contact your agent.

I haven't called yet to try but I am betting the only success will be with an agent at the airport for same-day or standby.

Call United - the sooner the better to have available seats to work this out - - -

If you wait to do it at the airport - there maybe nothing satisfactory to work with - split seats

center seats - back of the (air)bus - - -

Some fares because of the restricted (economy) level can't be changed online (United.com)

Call - - -

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pghflyer said:

I wish you luck.  American wouldn't let me change the flight, even as standby at the airport.  Shoot - even once we got to Philly we couldn't get on standby for an earlier flight home from there, had to wait until the booked flight.

The reason given was the ticket type, it was some kind of ticket that couldn't be used except on the flight it was booked.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1