Taino Bay DR port is open!

Javajitterz

On 1/2/2022 at 10:36 AM, cruisewisely said:

I did the beach break, my cruise was Dec. 12-19, and Puerto Plata was the last port that week, so after two fairly active days at St. Thomas and Tortola, I was ready for a beach day. 

My beach day tour in detail:   Some disorganization  at the port in getting everyone onto the buses, but it was their first time, so hopefully they've worked it out. The drive to the beach was a good one hour drive each way, over dirt roads and crossing rushing streams. More newbie issues, our guide didn't have a mic, and since I was at the very front of the open air vehicle, and he stood behind me facing the back, our row couldn't hear him over the engine. I missed the info that I was supposed to get back on the same bus for the return trip. The beach itself was nice, water very wavy and I enjoyed jumping in the waves, but maybe wouldn't have been suitable for small kids.  I had the all inclusive option so lunch was provided, at a set time, so everyone ate at once. Alcoholic drinks were included, but it was a small list of provided drinks, rum punch and a few others.

For the return drive, there was a bit of a fuss because I had "missed" my bus, not knowing everyone was going back with the same guide, whose name I never got nor did I get a good look at him. I pointed out that all vehicles were going back to the Encore, so surely it didn't matter? After checking with a supervisor, it was agreed I could take any of the vehicles. Overall I enjoyed the day, but given the driving time, I'm not sure I would do it again, especially if I had Great Stirrup Key as a final port day.

Other tours:  One person in my group did the crazy trucks, and they ended that tour at my beach, where I ran into him. So both of those tours have a 1 hr drive back to port.

Horseback riding and kayaking:  the person who did this was very unhappy with the tour, they had a 2 hour drive each way which did not leave enough time for the activities. She said the horses were not very well trained either, so she did not recommend this tour at all.

Shark encounter:  the guy who did this enjoyed it, he got back to the ship much later than the other tours, sorry but I don't know if that was due to a long drive or it was just an intensive tour.

We are looking at this tour also.  How long were you on the catamaran and do you remember the name of the catamaran?  ty

On 2/20/2022 at 4:07 PM, jbiker said:

We are looking at this tour also.  How long were you on the catamaran and do you remember the name of the catamaran?  

This wasn't a catamaran tour, we were driven to the beach and just stayed at the beach until we were picked up. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:38 PM, cruiselova67 said:

Bookbabe,

We would like to do the buggy tour as well. Are the vehicles gas powered UTVs?

We are on the Breakaway in May, there are no pictures of the vehicles on NCL website.

Look forward to your response.

Sorry, don’t think I replied to this.  I think the buggies were gas powered.  Here are some pics, including one of the beach.

02090C4B-5C2F-463A-B273-0D57DA767F01.jpeg

46A84ABC-E427-4BEC-AAF3-FF7ED317102E.jpeg

5BC53199-9130-4FC7-9CDF-9E65F0BD2DDF.jpeg

05BDF6B7-FFB4-483A-90C4-A0F1A0BA63CB.jpeg

• 11 months later...
On 1/3/2022 at 10:10 PM, bookbabe said:

We did the OffRoad Buggies and Beach at Puerto Plata.  Buggies were a blast.  You will get MUDDY.  That’s an understatement. Wear clothes/shoes that can get soaked.  The beach is kind of meh, limited space and seating if you’re not going in the water.

Hi do you know if there is a weight limit for each person on the buggies?  Thanks

On 12/31/2021 at 2:07 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

It was nice and but very small.  I would not waste 2 cents there while we were in YC and get it all for free.

We did walk to the little fort that you could see. That was a waste overall.  I miss the old DR port at Samana where they had many excursions to choose from.

I am glad you enjoyed your time there as each person has their own likes and dislikes. I think many older people would not want to venture out of that guarded compound.

Give it a few years and it will probably be good.

LOL...... First you say it's a Dump..... then you say it's Nice but very small...... So what is it?

1 hour ago, Bunnynme said:

Hi do you know if there is a weight limit for each person on the buggies?  Thanks

I can't remember, but the excursion descriptions on the cruise line webpage usually have any restrictions listed.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:32 PM, cruisewisely said:

This wasn't a catamaran tour, we were driven to the beach and just stayed at the beach until we were picked up. 

We’ve don’t this shore ex

Yeah. It’s pretty bad when people don’t follow directions on meeting times for return to ship. The whole truck load of people wait and wait and wait and wait with the guides looking for missing, discourteous people. 

Edited by BirdTravels