SPHERE Princess - Inaugural?

ScratchTheRat

I tend to agree that Sphere is an interim working name. IMHO somebody chose it because it points out that these ships are fueled by liquefied natural gas. I envision spherical tanks are used for LNG.

This photo is of an LNG tanker but it gives you the idea:

is?kioYjHgPUitEsPzWyd9ELMOpPTLkb9gjVawamRdVbww&height=224

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

is?kioYjHgPUitEsPzWyd9ELMOpPTLkb9gjVawamRdVbww&height=224

Looks amazing but I am wondering about the practical aspect of having the bridge this far back.  The curvaceous balcony cabin positions look ideal for multi-aspect sun opportunities.  Why is there a linear promenade deck at the apex?

Regards John

• Haha 2

I think the class name will not be used for the ship. 

Just like NCL's new Leonardo class with the first ship being called Prima.

Sphere I think is just the working name for the class but until we know her actual name, it's a safe one to use.

Anyone heard anything about her launch?

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I think the class name will not be used for the ship. 

I’m hoping that’s true however based on their marketing survey they were planning to use Sphera & Radia for their two new Sphere-class of ships.

"Sphere" Class is a reference to these ships being LNG powered. Liquid natural gas is stored in large, cooled tanks (sometimes sphere-shaped). Don't expect any ship to use that name. In fact, I'd bet the class won't officially be called "Sphere Class" either, but will take on the name of the first ship built.

Carnival Corp's other LNG classes have also used names that did become names for the actual ships. "Excellence Class" (Carnival Mardi Gras, P&O Iona, Costa Smeralda) and "Helios Class" (Aida Nova). I'm guessing "Sphere Class" is just another example of this pattern. 

I also think a new PACIFIC PRINCESS would be a wonderful tribute. 

If....this new build will be delivered in November 2023, I’m hoping she will come to Florida for a christening and then maiden voyage starting off the winter cruise season.

if so I’ll book her maiden voyage reliving my experience on the Sun Princess inaugural.

As foe a name...I expect the Pacific Princess as Carnival Corp is going back to their roots in naming their newest builds such as Mardi Gras.

I just wish the ship wasn’t going to be bigger.....than the current builds.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:19 PM, RMS Olympic said:

If....this new build will be delivered in November 2023, I’m hoping she will come to Florida for a christening and then maiden voyage starting off the winter cruise season.

if so I’ll book her maiden voyage reliving my experience on the Sun Princess inaugural.

As foe a name...I expect the Pacific Princess as Carnival Corp is going back to their roots in naming their newest builds such as Mardi Gras.

I just wish the ship wasn’t going to be bigger.....than the current builds.

I am imagining the maiden voyage to sail from Europe where the ship will be built. This is usually how they do it.

2 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I am imagining the maiden voyage to sail from Europe where the ship will be built. This is usually how they do it.

This is standard procedure to lower risk.  Short local cruise/s near where it was built enables a rapid repair if they have an early breakdown.  Last thing you would want is a failure mid-Atlantic. Then onward to where they want it home ported for the normal service.

Regards John