New charges for mid cruise testing

MNgardens

An email came out saying there have been changes to covid policy -

On some cruises additional COVID tests may be needed in select ports of call during the cruise to meet local regulatory requirements. PCR tests must be administered by an accredited facility. Home test kits will not be accepted. 

Beginning January 1, 2022 Windstar will provide these tests for our guests’ convenience, and this cost will be added to each guest’s shipboard account, $69 per antigen test and $135 per PCR test. In order to provide peace of mind to our guests, the maximum charge per guest will be $249 per person, per sailing (or $199 per person, per segment on Collectors and back to back sailings) to comply with these local testing requirements even if the number of tests required exceeds this pricing. “

Here is the link-

https://www.windstarcruises.com/health-safety/overview/?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WSC_PostBooking_7D_BeyondOridinaryCare_210406&utm_content=GP_7day_PostBooking&PID=1046089

additionally surgical style masks are now required

more details in the link but these were the changes that caught my eye

The charges for the mid-trip testing were announced in late November, effective with the first of the year.  The requirement for "surgical-type" masks is new.

We were on the Wind Surf during the Covid outbreak.  My husband is still in quarantine on the ship (that is it's own long story).  We were to have had a mid-cruise test around day 7 as required to enter the BVIs.  Our outbreak began around day 4 and was found when an ill passenger was tested.  This  may be the driver for the 3 day test - the opportunity to catch any "too early to be found at boarding" situations.

Once the outbreak began, we were all tested daily for the duration of the cruise.  We also saw them load a significant number of boxes on to the ship when we were in Barbados and we recognized that these were additional testing supplies.

Thanks for your input. I had missed the November update about mid cruise charges. I don’t know how I got it into my head that the charges were for optional end of cruise tests. 

I am so very sorry to hear that your husband is still stuck on the ship. This sounds like a real ordeal. I hope he can be home with you soon. 

• Like 1

Don't think the end of cruise tests are optional if you live in the US.  I believe that a negative test is required to enter the US unless you have recently recovered from Covid and can produce your positive test results and a doctors letter saying you have recovered. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

9 hours ago, su-arizona said:

Don't think the end of cruise tests are optional if you live in the US.  I believe that a negative test is required to enter the US unless you have recently recovered from Covid and can produce your positive test results and a doctors letter saying you have recovered. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

We were surprised that even though we had our negative test documentation in hand, NO ONE asked to see it before we boarded our flight home.  All we had to do was fill out a form online and "attest" that we had a negative test.  True, it did outline all the legal ramifications if we were lying, but still.  How hard would it be to look at the paperwork? 
Cruiselines seem to be being held to a much stricter standard than airlines or any other activity.

I was on the 12/18 Christmas cruise I tested  positive without symptoms 

and testing negative 12/29 let off ship to make my way home what a difference St. Martin airport was compared to entering the US. I showed my negative certificate to the desk and gate in St. Martin, 100% of the people masked in the airport with ladies and men in yellow jackets helping people and reminding people to keep their masks on. When I got to Fort Lauderdale airport going through customs I did not have to show my negative certificate and no one was masked.I did a mathematical estimation 80% of the people in the a/p not masked, scary, pathetic, careless etc.The bathrooms filthy, no one paying attention of signs saying "Federal Mandate wear a mask and Distance " , it was a shameful, dangerous airport. The Wind Surf and their policies for the entire cruise was exemplary,transparent, safe. This variant once it starts is like an out of control fire. I can not imagine what spread out of that Fort Lauderdale airport. I came home went to my clinic took a PCR test, gratefully negative.

I would rather be on that ship any day than in that FLL airport, should have been shut down by the National Guard. Happy Sailing

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Strenz said:

I was on the 12/18 Christmas cruise I tested  positive without symptoms 

and testing negative 12/29 let off ship to make my way home what a difference St. Martin airport was compared to entering the US. I showed my negative certificate to the desk and gate in St. Martin, 100% of the people masked in the airport with ladies and men in yellow jackets helping people and reminding people to keep their masks on. When I got to Fort Lauderdale airport going through customs I did not have to show my negative certificate and no one was masked.I did a mathematical estimation 80% of the people in the a/p not masked, scary, pathetic, careless etc.The bathrooms filthy, no one paying attention of signs saying "Federal Mandate wear a mask and Distance " , it was a shameful, dangerous airport. The Wind Surf and their policies for the entire cruise was exemplary,transparent, safe. This variant once it starts is like an out of control fire. I can not imagine what spread out of that Fort Lauderdale airport. I came home went to my clinic took a PCR test, gratefully negative.

I would rather be on that ship any day than in that FLL airport, should have been shut down by the National Guard. Happy Sailing

Totally agree.  I'm less concerned about being on Windstar than being at ANY Florida airport or any Florida port of embarkation for that matter.  No concern for precautions at all.  Unfortunately, the ships are affected by passengers who travelled through there and only tested positive once on board.  

• Like 2

When we traveled to Antigua last summer, many many people in both the Dallas and Miami airports were unmasked or partially masked - no enforcement anywhere. Every single person in Antigua was masked, with mandatory hand cleansing all through the process.

Strenz - 

We are scheduled to depart 1/22 - Can you tell me - you tested positive, were you quarantined? Or were you still able to participate in shore excursions, dine in public, etc?

Edited by cdastager

Not Strenz, but we sailed with her.  My husband was positive.

If you are positive, or identified as a close contact, you are in isolation. Period. No mingling with others on board (including a traveling companion who is in a separate room), no dining in the restaurants, no going on excursions. 

I was a close contact. I was moved to a different room, was not given a key (meaning I couldn't go anywhere) and was there for about 48 hours until my second negative.  This matched with the timing of disembarkation.

My husband was kept on board for 12 days after he tested positive, waiting for a negative result. He was not allowed out of his room except for very closely supervised daily "fresh air" trips on deck. Only the other passengers in isolation were on board and they were all limited to a small area on deck.

Ditto Rempuck. We were tested everyday but the day after Christmas night when the cruise was canceled and we headed back to St.Martin, Sunday around 1 in my group of 6, my brother-in- law and I tested positive the rest were negative. We had no symptoms. I was removed from my cabin, my husband remained, ditto for my sister and her positive husband, , my other sister and husband because  we were a family and in close contact were  quarantined as well. We had meals brought to us, we had menus, we ordered wine etc, we could not leave our rooms. Anything we needed was rapidly brought, food delicious and hot. Monday sister and husband tested negative they left the ship, my husband and other sister both tested negative they stayed on the ship until Tuesday morning when then tested negative, my brother-in-law and I tested negative on Wednesday and we left the ship. Reminder once the ship docks it us the port authority that is in charge, re Rempuck's husband. We were treated beautifully by WS. Reminder you are beholden to the rules of the ports visited. WS did a great job. Wishing you well and if you go a lovely trip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Why in the world would someone who tested positive be allowed in the dining room, on excursions, or, in fact, to be anywhere in a public area?🤔

The answer to your question can be found in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1