Viking Quarantine Protocols?

gafnewyork

We had to cancel our 33 day French Polynesian Islands leaving  on January 5th. We got the call back after we emailed tellus@viking, I asked point blank if we test positive on the Orion, when we get to Port could we be put off on one of the islands where we would have to finish the quarantin period, and she said unfortunately it is a possibility.  You are at the mercy of the government where you Port if they demand you get off, quarantine on board or the ship is turned away and not able to dock. 

We were extremely careful the 2 weeks before the cruise, didn't go many places, wore masks and kept our distance. Endured a 22 hour day to get to Long Beach. We were prepared with lots to do, needlework, books in case we tested positive and needed to be isolated. Our intent was to go and have a wonderful time, but when we received that call, we had no choice but to cancel after what happened on Jupiter. 

Hopefully, for future cruisers, it will be different. 

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I’ll defer to your broader reading. Have you come across any cases allowed to completely quarantine on a Viking ship? That’s happening on other cruise lines. Maybe their itineraries don’t overlap? 

Yes—see what amyr said at #50. But we haven’t heard any further about what happened to those on the Star—booted off in LA? Or allowed to continue?

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I’ll defer to your broader reading. Have you come across any cases allowed to completely quarantine on a Viking ship? That’s happening on other cruise lines. Maybe their itineraries don’t overlap? 

The Washington Post ran a piece yesterday about how some cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and P&O) are using separate ships as quarantine quarters, mostly but not entirely for staff. Itineraries weren’t mentioned.  

Affirmative, all pax and crew on the Viking Star, since departure Ft Lauderdale have quarantined onboard. One of the repeat WC pax has recently tested positive and is again being quarantined onboard.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:52 PM, amyr said:

The World Cruisers seem to have been able to completely quarantine/isolate, and so far the C+ folks on Orion doing French Polynesia as well.  That itinerary hasn't had a port stop to boot them off in anyway, so they'll probably test out of quarantine by the time they get to their first port.  Lots of sea days on that one.

Interestingly, the poor woman who was doing daily live videos from her marginal quarters in Turkey tested positive in Rhodes, but when the folks most recently tested positive in Turkey, they were allowed to go back to Rhodes and quarantine there in those villas.  Have they reported back in yet?  I hope they're doing well.

We are doing well! Thanks for thinking of us. 😊 There hasn’t been a ton to report for the last few days, though, so I didn’t feel compelled to say much.

Let’s see - the rain has stopped and we have had two days of beautiful sunshine with 3 more predicted. The two of us took a 7 mile hike today to the top of a nearby mountain (I suppose you’d call it that) with a 18th century monastery on the top  reachable only on foot. We were cleared by the doctor to go “out and about”, though not to travel yet. This little town must be highly seasonal - there are loads of huge resorts, but almost nobody here and little open right now. The sunshine and fresh air were appreciated by all (if the rest somewhat less ambitiously than us two).

I am still testing positive (though the “red line” on my antigen tests is getting fainter) and my husband is still negative as confirmed by a PCR test today. We had heard earlier in the week that we would be cleared to fly today so long as he was still negative via proof of recovery paperwork from the doctor for me even if I was still testing positive. However, we heard from our case manager later today that even though such paperwork would satisfy the US officials for a return flight, they had some people quarantined elsewhere who were turned away from the airport because the airline was being more stringent, requiring negative tests full stop. Therefore, the latest plan is to test again two days from now and if we are both negative at that point, then arrangements to return home can be made (fingers crossed). If not, I expect we will just keep trying every day or two until that is the case unless there are some other strings that can be pulled that we have not currently been made aware of.

Some of the others are in the same situation as us, some have had the person in the couple who was originally negative flip to positive 😔, and not all are from the US, so there is a bit of a variety of situations amongst us here.

The people at the villa and our case manager continue to be outstanding. At this point it is just a matter of time until we can make our way home.

That’s about it for now. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have if they are curious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, Heidi13 said:

The Master must comply with the requirements of the local authorities, which in some countries are neither logical, nor negotiable.

In 2008, on a B2B SE Asia cruise, the ship experienced a huge Noro infection (about 50%). We were both infected, but by the turnaround port (in China) DW was out of quarantine. The Captain advised we should both remain in our cabin during turnaround.

Late afternoon, the Master received a final demand from the Chineses authorities that we be sent ashore to a quarantine hotel. The Master had 1/2 hr to comply, or the entire ship would be quarantined for 2 weeks. The cruise line had no say in where we went and I can assure you it wasn't a villa, more inline with the hostel in S/America, with armed guards on each deck.

What cruise lines are currently experiencing with COVID infections is nothing new, as it has gone on for many years.

I can assure you that this is factual, since our son was S/2/O, I knew the Captain and had previously sailed with a number of the senior officers.

Thank you for answering my question!  It's the different quarantine stories that confuse me.  Some on the ship, some off the ship.  Curious why the difference?

On 1/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, all pax and crew on the Viking Star, since departure Ft Lauderdale have quarantined onboard. One of the repeat WC pax has recently tested positive and is again being quarantined onboard.

Why weren't any of these crew and pax on the Star sent off the ship into quarantine? A previous poster called Viking and asked if quarantine off a ship would happen.  Viking said "unfortunately it is a possibility. "

Possible? Why can't Viking have a list of the countries they visit with the current protocols in each country with the procedure when a cruise pax tests positive for C?

Obviously some crew members test positive.  Is there anywhere saying crew are put off the ship at any port in quarantine?  Has anyone heard or seen crew in quarantine off the ship? If it's just pax put off ship into quarantine, why?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is very confusing to me...  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Why weren't any of these crew and pax on the Star sent off the ship into quarantine? A previous poster called Viking and asked if quarantine off a ship would happen.  Viking said "unfortunately it is a possibility. "

Possible? Why can't Viking have a list of the countries they visit with the current protocols in each country with the procedure when a cruise pax tests positive for C?

Obviously some crew members test positive.  Is there anywhere saying crew are put off the ship at any port in quarantine?  Has anyone heard or seen crew in quarantine off the ship? If it's just pax put off ship into quarantine, why?

It is impossible to maintain a list by country of the protocols. It can vary by port within the same country, plus it is constantly changing. A protocol in effect today may not be the same as next week.

There are no guarantees right now that you will not be isolated or quarantined, either on or off the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Why weren't any of these crew and pax on the Star sent off the ship into quarantine? A previous poster called Viking and asked if quarantine off a ship would happen.  Viking said "unfortunately it is a possibility.

Unfortunately, I can't answer this question, as the pandemic situation is dynamic and requirements could be changing daily. The Master must comply with the ship's Safety Management System and the requirements of the local authorities.

Since ports within a country can have different requirements, based on who is in charge of the local authorities. Example - on the 2020 WC, we got into 1 Indonesian port, but not 2 others. The requirements can also change on a fairly regular basis. It would be well nigh impossible to maintain this type of database, ensuring it was current.

The Master must comply with contractural agreements and International Marine Regulations, as crew are entitled to medical care onboard the vessel. In situations where the ship cannot provide the required level of care required, crew members are transferred ashore to a local hospital.

Please see responses in red

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1