Viking Quarantine Protocols?

gafnewyork

Any knowledge on stateroom and beverage, dining experience if quarantined on Viking Ocean? Just had a very unpleasant experience being quarantined on a cruise from a different line and want to know what we may experience before booking our next cruise.  

I am in a quarantine room on the Sky right now. I think I will be disembarked today, but I am not positive. I tested positive and my traveling companion did not, so they separated us. So far, I have been able to order what I like from the room service menu and they have been as accommodating as reasonably possible given the situation. I am not sure what will happen once we leave the ship, but I am hoping that they will take as good of care of us as they have on the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ssaxsma said:

I am in a quarantine room on the Sky right now. I think I will be disembarked today, but I am not positive. I tested positive and my traveling companion did not, so they separated us. So far, I have been able to order what I like from the room service menu and they have been as accommodating as reasonably possible given the situation. I am not sure what will happen once we leave the ship, but I am hoping that they will take as good of care of us as they have on the ship.

Thank you for sharing and sorry to hear you are being quarantined and tested positive. I hope you are feeling better! 

It seems Viking tests passengers each day? How is that handled? Could your partner have opted to quarantine with you even though they tested negative? Assuming your in a veranda room? 

Thank you. I am feeling largely fine - minor headache and sore throat, but I get those from long distance air travel anyway. So an update. Viking says that the hotel the government offered in Kusadasi does not meet Viking standards so they are somehow able to skirt the regulations that require them to disembark positive testing passengers. So now the current plan is for those testing positive to be disembarked in Rhodes tomorrow. I feel more comfortable personally knowing that that is at least in the European Union. For today, I am enjoying weather that is 60° warmer than at home with the balcony door open and a beautiful view of Kusadasi, even though I cannot ”go”. The movies on the state room TV are very nice to have. (Trying to make the best of it in case you can tell.)

Prior to my having tested positive, all aboard were providing a saliva sample in the mornings and they were running them each day. When we returned from our shore excursion the day that I tested positive, we were told to proceed directly from the gangway to our state room on returning. It was shortly after that that the two of us were separated. My partner has submitted a sample again today but we do not know yet what the result is. If he tests positive, we are suspecting he may be allowed to join me in my quarantine state room. Despite being in different (veranda) state rooms, neither of us is allowed to leave. Apparently the quarantine staterooms have different ventilation and are all in one section of the ship. I have no idea how many there are.

I did not assume we had a choice in our separation, but for fun and since I am gregarious, I called some of the neighboring state rooms in this quarantine section just by “cold calling” and “met” some nice people in the same situation. One person said they insisted on not being separated and they were allowed to be together despite differing test results.

I just want to reiterate that Viking seems to be taking good care of us. But I’m not sure what will happen once we leave the ship.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ssaxsma said:

Thank you. I am feeling largely fine - minor headache and sore throat, but I get those from long distance air travel anyway. So an update. Viking says that the hotel the government offered in Kusadasi does not meet Viking standards so they are somehow able to skirt the regulations that require them to disembark positive testing passengers. So now the current plan is for those testing positive to be disembarked in Rhodes tomorrow. I feel more comfortable personally knowing that that is at least in the European Union. For today, I am enjoying weather that is 60° warmer than at home with the balcony door open and a beautiful view of Kusadasi, even though I cannot ”go”. The movies on the state room TV are very nice to have. (Trying to make the best of it in case you can tell.)

Prior to my having tested positive, all aboard were providing a saliva sample in the mornings and they were running them each day. When we returned from our shore excursion the day that I tested positive, we were told to proceed directly from the gangway to our state room on returning. It was shortly after that that the two of us were separated. My partner has submitted a sample again today but we do not know yet what the result is. If he tests positive, we are suspecting he may be allowed to join me in my quarantine state room. Despite being in different (veranda) state rooms, neither of us is allowed to leave. Apparently the quarantine staterooms have different ventilation and are all in one section of the ship. I have no idea how many there are.

I did not assume we had a choice in our separation, but for fun and since I am gregarious, I called some of the neighboring state rooms in this quarantine section just by “cold calling” and “met” some nice people in the same situation. One person said they insisted on not being separated and they were allowed to be together despite differing test results.

I just want to reiterate that Viking seems to be taking good care of us. But I’m not sure what will happen once we leave the ship.

Thank you for sharing! And glad to see how well you are taking things and how well Viking is handling the situation.  

It never crossed my mind that a Covid positive person would need to leave the ship and quarantine in whatever foreign country port was next.  I can only imagine what new levels of anxiety that must conjure.  

Agree Rhodes seems the better choice.  I hope that experience goes well for you. And that they find you an accommodation as warm and hospitable as what you’ve been experiencing on Viking. 

You’re welcome, and thank you back. As someone who tends toward the anxious, yes, all sorts of things have been flooding through our minds. We too were not aware that a positive test would require getting off at the next port. We had prepared ourselves mentally for a positive test, but assumed that we would be able to just remain quarantined on the ship until the end of the cruise. We learned that that is not so.

After we got past that initial surprise, we have resigned ourselves to doing the best we can in light of the situation.

I’m not a particularly regular poster, though do a lot of reading. But I’ll try to post anything of interest as I have a chance. I thought my experience might help others, and in the event anyone here has any advice to offer, I will most certainly take it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ssaxsma said:

You’re welcome, and thank you back. As someone who tends toward the anxious, yes, all sorts of things have been flooding through our minds. We too were not aware that a positive test would require getting off at the next port. We had prepared ourselves mentally for a positive test, but assumed that we would be able to just remain quarantined on the ship until the end of the cruise. We learned that that is not so.

After we got past that initial surprise, we have resigned ourselves to doing the best we can in light of the situation.

I’m not a particularly regular poster, though do a lot of reading. But I’ll try to post anything of interest as I have a chance. I thought my experience might help others, and in the event anyone here has any advice to offer, I will most certainly take it.

I so appreciate your willingness to share.  I don’t think many cruises are fully aware of the Quarantine protocols when cruising now.  Including the fact that you will be taken off the boat when traveling internationally.  

I posted my own lengthy Quarantine experience after a recent Celebrity Millennium cruise if you have any interest in reading my story.  Fortunately we were in the Caribbean, but unfortunately I got stuck in a deck 2 stateroom, initially inside cabin and after many, many hours of negotiations  (and a mini break down in front of the ships doctor)  managed a small porthole window. 

The consequences of acquiring Covid while cruising these days are significant.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ssaxsma said:

It is Vikings policy that if a person tests positive they will be isolated  on the ship until they can be safely removed to an appropriate facility on shore.  A second test will be given to confirm the first positive one.  This information is clearly stated in Vikings Health & Safety Policy under Frequently Asked Questions.  This policy is on the Viking website and it was on My Viking Journey for the two cruises we took last year with Viking.

Vikings policy for those who contact trace to a positive case is they are quarantined until test results are received.  If they are negative, the person can leave their room and resume the cruise.  HOWEVER some countries require anyone who contact traces to a positive on board must be removed from the ship.  Sometimes they require an entire busload on an excursion to quarantine.  The policy of the country superceeds any Viking policy.

Based on this knowledge (and we read every word of all the posted Viking policies),  we weighed our risk very carefully.  We went on two cruises (July and November/December) and were fortunate to have no cases aboard. 

I am sorry for your experience.  I will find and try to attach the Viking Covid policies here in another document.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ssaxsma said:

So an update. Viking says that the hotel the government offered in Kusadasi does not meet Viking standards so they are somehow able to skirt the regulations that require them to disembark positive testing passengers. 

I'm so glad they're not putting you off in Kusadasi.  A woman and her husband were put off there on the cruise before yours, and she is posting live video updates from her room.  The hotel (it's government housing) and the food are pretty ghastly, and I suspect that's why Viking didn't put you off there as well.  

There's also a couple that was put off down in Punta Arenas, Chile, into a hostel.  They're having cheese and jelly sandwiches for dinner.  A woman and her family were off the ship in Rome, and her digs seemed pretty decent, at least from her videos.  I guess it's all a matter of where you test positive.  

We have the 14 day Panama Canal coming up, and I've been peering at the itinerary trying to determine where we could end up if we test positive and how much tolerance for that we have.  Several of the ports are wonderful for exploring, but pretty marginal otherwise.  We also had planned on returning to Ft. Lauderdale and driving home.  A flight from Honduras or Panama wouldn't be ideal either, especially since our car would be at Port Everglades.  This is making us think about renting a car to drive the five hours down in case we have to fly home.  We could fly directly to Tampa.  So much to think about.

Oddly, none of the 14 or so positives from the World Cruise have been put off.  Different regulations for different cruisers I guess.

ssasxma, you sound like you're in good spirits and are comfortable.  Good luck to you, and I hope your companion continues to test negative.  Please check in and let us know how it's going for you.  It will be helpful to cruisers here, and it will be a nice place for you to feel in touch with your cruising community.  I know everyone here wishes you safe travels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you for the link. I hope I did not sound as if I was indicting that such information was not available. It seems it was, so shame on us for not having read through it more thoroughly. Although I am not sure that it would’ve changed our decision either way. With three vaccine shots and having left home before this current wave got quite so far along as it now has, we were not particularly concerned. It goes to show that this pandemic continues to surprise, and it is clearly not finished with us just yet.

2 hours ago, amyr said:

I'm so glad they're not putting you off in Kusadasi.  A woman and her husband were put off there on the cruise before yours, and she is posting live video updates from her room.  The hotel (it's government housing) and the food are pretty ghastly, and I suspect that's why Viking didn't put you off there as well.  

There's also a couple that was put off down in Punta Arenas, Chile, into a hostel.  They're having cheese and jelly sandwiches for dinner.  A woman and her family were off the ship in Rome, and her digs seemed pretty decent, at least from her videos.  I guess it's all a matter of where you test positive.  

We have the 14 day Panama Canal coming up, and I've been peering at the itinerary trying to determine where we could end up if we test positive and how much tolerance for that we have.  Several of the ports are wonderful for exploring, but pretty marginal otherwise.  We also had planned on returning to Ft. Lauderdale and driving home.  A flight from Honduras or Panama wouldn't be ideal either, especially since our car would be at Port Everglades.  This is making us think about renting a car to drive the five hours down in case we have to fly home.  We could fly directly to Tampa.  So much to think about.

Oddly, none of the 14 or so positives from the World Cruise have been put off.  Different regulations for different cruisers I guess.

ssasxma, you sound like you're in good spirits and are comfortable.  Good luck to you, and I hope your companion continues to test negative.  Please check in and let us know how it's going for you.  It will be helpful to cruisers here, and it will be a nice place for you to feel in touch with your cruising community.  I know everyone here wishes you safe travels.

My quarantine neighbors on either side and I had a glass of wine “together” on our respective balconies after having “met” by phone earlier today. It was nice to share a little community despite the circumstances. They were upbeat and all were unanimous that it is good that we are going to at least make it to Greece, whether Rhodes or somewhere else. I appreciate the information that you shared about others’ experiences in Turkey.

My husband was spit tested twice today for some reason with no information returned at all. Since he has not been asked to leave our original cabin, we are assuming he is still negative.

We are still in (pretty) good spirits and feeling OK, and I can tell you that at least two of my neighbors are as well. Thank you so much for your kind words, well wishes, and for pointing out the solidarity here on those boards. It’s certainly comforting and encouraging. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, gafnewyork said:

The consequences of acquiring Covid while cruising these days are significant.  

Indeed...a significant deterrent, at least for me. 

8 hours ago, gafnewyork said:

It never crossed my mind that a Covid positive person would need to leave the ship and quarantine in whatever foreign country port was next.  I can only imagine what new levels of anxiety that must conjure.  

No thanks. 

• Like 3

We have talked about considering Viking Ocean so I came to this forum. After reading of their policy and the experiences of testing positive and being required to get off of the ship; maybe not.

The policy contradicts itself... after all, you are quarantined, right? It would freak me out to be dropped off in another country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ssaxsma said:

Thank you for the link. I hope I did not sound as if I was indicting that such information was not available. It seems it was, so shame on us for not having read through it more thoroughly. Although I am not sure that it would’ve changed our decision either way. With three vaccine shots and having left home before this current wave got quite so far along as it now has, we were not particularly concerned. It goes to show that this pandemic continues to surprise, and it is clearly not finished with us just yet.

And i did not mean to "shame" you for failing to find the appropriate documents.  I do find that many many people do not read the available info provided by Viking.  I read everything including the Privacy Policy (LOL) and get frustrated when people claim they did not know about something believe it is Vikings fault.  BTW the Privacy Policy answered a lot of questions I had about the contact tracing device we are required to wear.

It does sound like you are in a region where Viking has some say and negotiating power for what happens when someone tests positive.  Not all have been so fortunate as others have posted.

5 hours ago, ssaxsma said:

My quarantine neighbors on either side and I had a glass of wine “together” on our respective balconies after having “met” by phone earlier today. It was nice to share a little community despite the circumstances. They were upbeat and all were unanimous that it is good that we are going to at least make it to Greece, whether Rhodes or somewhere else. I appreciate the information that you shared about others’ experiences in Turkey.

My husband was spit tested twice today for some reason with no information returned at all. Since he has not been asked to leave our original cabin, we are assuming he is still negative.

We are still in (pretty) good spirits and feeling OK, and I can tell you that at least two of my neighbors are as well. Thank you so much for your kind words, well wishes, and for pointing out the solidarity here on those boards. It’s certainly comforting and encouraging. 

What a great and creative thing to do, socializing in quarantine with a glass of wine on your balconies! We would be much less apprehensive about cruising again if we knew we could quarantine onboard like that. 

• Like 1

i was looking at last minute cruises and by search on a TA site and the jan 10 , 118 day viking cruise came up. i cannot imagine paying that sum then having to get off just a few days after boarding to sit in a foreign country then have to fly back home.  it's no wonder that trip is still available vs being sold out. very brave people to go on such a journey at this point. 

6 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

And i did not mean to "shame" you for failing to find the appropriate documents.  I do find that many many people do not read the available info provided by Viking.  I read everything including the Privacy Policy (LOL) and get frustrated when people claim they did not know about something believe it is Vikings fault.  BTW the Privacy Policy answered a lot of questions I had about the contact tracing device we are required to wear.

It does sound like you are in a region where Viking has some say and negotiating power for what happens when someone tests positive.  Not all have been so fortunate as others have posted.

No offense or anything taken! I am usually one to read everything as well and read all 22 pages of the T&Cs they sent us,  but for whatever reason that particular webpage somehow escapes me (or changed more likely, as we booked this cruise months before the word “CoViD” was ever in our collective vocabularies). 

4 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i was looking at last minute cruises and by search on a TA site and the jan 10 , 118 day viking cruise came up. i cannot imagine paying that sum then having to get off just a few days after boarding to sit in a foreign country then have to fly back home.  it's no wonder that trip is still available vs being sold out. very brave people to go on such a journey at this point. 

If it makes any difference, it sounds like Viking is going to give us the unused portion of our cruise in the form of a credit from what we are hearing. I am not sure from what point they consider it unused though (first day in quarantine maybe? Or from the day we disembark? We have been onboard 5 days but eaten non-room service just once - a delicious waffle at Mamsen’s with the brown cheese I personally love). Considering they are still caring for us onboard, and in a way that doubtless costs them more than if we were not in quarantine, we feel they’re being very generous if that’s what ends up transpiring in the end. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twitchly said:

What a great and creative thing to do, socializing in quarantine with a glass of wine on your balconies! We would be much less apprehensive about cruising again if we knew we could quarantine onboard like that. 

If what we hear is to be believed, the quarantined are going to be moved to private villas in or near Rhodes today.  One villa to a couple so those with differing test results can have separate bedrooms, yet still be somewhat together. We think we found the website for the place, and I don’t want to get too excited (this is quarantine and NOT to the original plan after all), but it looks like it has the potential to be rather nice.

The neighbors and I are already planning a distanced get-together in our “back yards” assuming we will be allowed outdoors. Such a thing might not be possible in a hotel, but may be if we are each in a freestanding unit opening to the outside. Viking indicated they are paying for everything. If this is truly the case,

Viking has continued to go far above and beyond. Who even knows? - this could become our favorite holiday ever! It’s certainly different, and will no doubt be memorable in one fashion or another.

For now, this self-proclaimed worrier is trying to find the adventure / positivity in it as best I can. To be continued…

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ssaxsma said:

If what we hear is to be believed, the quarantined are going to be moved to private villas in or near Rhodes today.  One villa to a couple so those with differing test results can have separate bedrooms, yet still be somewhat together. We think we found the website for the place, and I don’t want to get too excited (this is quarantine and NOT to the original plan after all), but it looks like it has the potential to be rather nice.

The neighbors and I are already planning a distanced get-together in our “back yards” assuming we will be allowed outdoors. Such a thing might not be possible in a hotel, but may be if we are each in a freestanding unit opening to the outside. Viking indicated they are paying for everything. If this is truly the case,

Viking has continued to go far above and beyond. Who even knows? - this could become our favorite holiday ever! It’s certainly different, and will no doubt be memorable in one fashion or another.

For now, this self-proclaimed worrier is trying to find the adventure / positivity in it as best I can. To be continued…

Sounds absolutely lovely!

By the way, the refund or future cruise credit should start from the day you entered quarantine.   Not the day you leave the boat.  That is what other higher end cruise lines are doing.  

7 hours ago, ssaxsma said:

Your attitude and response are spot on. Brilliant! When given lemons make lemonade. You are inspiring. Viking has the safety protocol down pat. We just returned from a two week cruise on the Sky. The trip was incredible. There was supposedly one COVID case.

The response to the quarantine seems uneven. Some have been in less than the “finest hotels.” Viking waiting to disembark COVID passengers at a port with acceptable hotels is a huge improvement which I hope will become standard policy. Be safe and keep you great positive attitude. We are all rooting for you!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Your attitude and response are spot on. Brilliant! When given lemons make lemonade. You are inspiring. Viking has the safety protocol down pat. We just returned from a two week cruise on the Sky. The trip was incredible. There was supposedly one COVID case.

The response to the quarantine seems uneven. Some have been in less than the “finest hotels.” Viking waiting to disembark COVID passengers at a port with acceptable hotels is a huge improvement which I hope will become standard policy. Be safe and keep you great positive attitude. We are all rooting for you!

In some countries Viking is unable to determine what is or is not an acceptable hotel or facility.  You are very lucky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Well, we made it to the villa. The backyard pool is empty and it has rained all day, but we have much to be grateful for. There is a full fridge and pantry, local restaurant menus we can order delivery from (even sushi - all at no charge to us),  and lots of room to spread out. We have more bedrooms and bathrooms than people here (3, 2, and 2, respectively) spread across two levels. The decor is “eclectic” and the WiFi a little spotty, but all in all, we have won the quarantine lottery. Viking separated the negatives from the positives in two vans on the way here. Very conscientious. We found out 14 people left in total - 7 positives plus 7 spouses/partners/travel companions.

We can go outdoors (though it has not stopped raining since we arrived) and enjoy the patio, the olive grove behind that, and the sea 300 meters away (again, too wet today though) so long as we remain separate. Each villa has its own private pool, but they are sadly drained for winter (said with feigned disappointment).

Apparently our two days quarantined onboard “counted” and so the latest requirement of 5 days means a doctor will come 3 days from now and test us all again. If my husband remains negative, I believe we will be free to go even if I were to still test positive, as the proper duration will have passed (unless I have that completely wrong). So we are making sure to stay distant to help ensure he remains a negative and we can go as soon as possible. If he flips positive, the clock will start over. 

That’s the latest for now. Not sure there will be much new for the next few days as we will just be waiting. I’d love it if the rain were to let up, but if not, they’ve brought us a selection of books in both the languages we speak (and an iPhone with a wifi connection never leaves one short of options either, naturally). The people running the resort here couldn’t be nicer.

Thanks to @gafnewyork for the helpful info on credits and for all the rest rooting for us!

@rbslos18 , glad to hear you enjoyed your trip on the beautiful Sky (and had better luck than we have). We will have to rebook this same trip for another year and actually, you know, see something of the cruise next time 🙂

(We actually did enjoy a few really beautiful  days in Istanbul on our own before boarding)

And @TayanaLorna, yes, you are right. We are aware we are very lucky, and also have to credit Viking in all of this for what parts they have been able to control. It has been stressful, but could have been much more unpleasant without their help and being so considerate.

I’ll try to provide another update once we figure out how and when we’re getting home (or if anything else interesting / funny / relevant comes up sooner). Until then, please take care and stay healthy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ssaxsma said:

Well, we made it to the villa. The backyard pool is empty and it has rained all day, but we have much to be grateful for. There is a full fridge and pantry, local restaurant menus we can order delivery from (even sushi - all at no charge to us),  and lots of room to spread out. We have more bedrooms and bathrooms than people here (3, 2, and 2, respectively) spread across two levels. The decor is “eclectic” and the WiFi a little spotty, but all in all, we have won the quarantine lottery. Viking separated the negatives from the positives in two vans on the way here. Very conscientious. We found out 14 people left in total - 7 positives plus 7 spouses/partners/travel companions.

We can go outdoors (though it has not stopped raining since we arrived) and enjoy the patio, the olive grove behind that, and the sea 300 meters away (again, too wet today though) so long as we remain separate. Each villa has its own private pool, but they are sadly drained for winter (said with feigned disappointment).

Apparently our two days quarantined onboard “counted” and so the latest requirement of 5 days means a doctor will come 3 days from now and test us all again. If my husband remains negative, I believe we will be free to go even if I were to still test positive, as the proper duration will have passed (unless I have that completely wrong). So we are making sure to stay distant to help ensure he remains a negative and we can go as soon as possible. If he flips positive, the clock will start over. 

That’s the latest for now. Not sure there will be much new for the next few days as we will just be waiting. I’d love it if the rain were to let up, but if not, they’ve brought us a selection of books in both the languages we speak (and an iPhone with a wifi connection never leaves one short of options either, naturally). The people running the resort here couldn’t be nicer.

Thanks to @gafnewyork for the helpful info on credits and for all the rest rooting for us!

@rbslos18 , glad to hear you enjoyed your trip on the beautiful Sky (and had better luck than we have). We will have to rebook this same trip for another year and actually, you know, see something of the cruise next time 🙂

(We actually did enjoy a few really beautiful  days in Istanbul on our own before boarding)

And @TayanaLorna, yes, you are right. We are aware we are very lucky, and also have to credit Viking in all of this for what parts they have been able to control. It has been stressful, but could have been much more unpleasant without their help and being so considerate.

I’ll try to provide another update once we figure out how and when we’re getting home (or if anything else interesting / funny / relevant comes up sooner). Until then, please take care and stay healthy. 

@ssaxsmaso happy and relieved to hear that this latest, and almost final chapter in your quarantine experience is going well!

The villa sounds awesome.  And even though you won’t have a full vacation experience, at least your somewhere surrounded by beauty and able to enjoy some fresh air with your partner.  

Thank  you for being so brave and sharing your story as well! I believe we are helping many folks better understand real life implications when cruising while testing positive for Covid.

I wish you a wonderful few days in the villa and an uneventful return home!