CDC says "don't cruise" and passengers complaining about poor experience, but prices continue to rise? Thoughts?

We got off Serenade just before Christmas and were disappointed with the experience.  Many amenities were unavailable, due to staffing shortages and other Covid-related issues that were not RCI's "fault."  The service, entertainment, and overall experience were definitely quite negatively affected.  We feel we overpaid, given what we "bought" and what we ended up experiencing.  We do understand that RCI has the right to do this (It's in the contract).

What surprises me is this:  I have been checking prices on our May cruise and I am surprised that the cost keeps going  up...up....up!  The cruise I booked 12 months ago is now very much more expensive.  I see no logic to this.  RCI currently cannot provide the premium experience, and yet they insist on charging for it.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

We got off Serenade just before Christmas and were disappointed with the experience.  Many amenities were unavailable, due to staffing shortages and other Covid-related issues that were not RCI's "fault."  The service, entertainment, and overall experience were definitely quite negatively affected.  We feel we overpaid, given what we "bought" and what we ended up experiencing.  We do understand that RCI has the right to do this (It's in the contract).

What surprises me is this:  I have been checking prices on our May cruise and I am surprised that the cost keeps going  up...up....up!  The cruise I booked 12 months ago is now very much more expensive.  I see no logic to this.  RCI currently cannot provide the premium experience, and yet they insist on charging for it.

Thoughts?

May is a long time away in the scope of covid. What RCL provides in December may look totally different than what they can provide 5 months later. Just look at the difference between October and December of last year.  

Omnicron is supposed to peak in the next few weeks.  IF, and that is a big if no new variant shows up (and IHU is a nothing) and vaccination status continues to rise, a May cruise could be close to normal. .....Or cruising may be at a halt or severely limited, at which time, discounts may be offered.  

If the past 2 years have taught us anything, it is that nothing is the same as it was 2 months ago.

Edited by cured

Dont book more cruises if you were not satisfied with the experience. I've been watching may prices and they seem set in concrete. Same since last monday and before that may was the same for 2 weeks. It did drop slightly last Monday with this new sale of up to $550 off. I got small price drop for may. Prices close in thru may are pretty good imo. Bargains.

I'm prepared to go with the flow, if shows are cancelled or ports I'm ok, just feed me and let me read and watch the ocean. If I got covid I feel I know what to expect. If people are not ok with this then maybe they should cancel. I'm going unless I have covid or break both legs. Tbh I dont understand people saying they get it, not rcl fault .. then saying it didnt meet your expectations...I'm keeping my expectations low. 

• Like 1

Didn’t you see this coming? The’ve been paying for lots of quarantine expenses and a number of private jets all the while sailing at reduced capacity. Hard to be profitable that way.

They are probably counting on pent-up demand when COVID subsides, betting that people will be willing to cash in all those FCC’s and pay up.

We just got off the Jewel and were supposed to be on the next cruise that was cancelled.  We had a lovely time.  Met nice people.  I like the D+ drinks being available anywhere. Yes there was a shortage of staff and one show got cancelled/rescheduled and some shore excursions had smaller numbers but on the whole the crew tried hard.  We met new people.  One port was cancelled,  Cartegania,  supposedly because new protocols we couldn't meet.  Ports get cancelled all time for weather or other reasons.   When we heard about out next cruise being cancelled I spoke to GS and they placed a free call for me to our car service to change pu times/day.  Looking at life with a positive outlook.

• Like 3

Just keep checking the prices. I did my weekly online price check a few days ago and I got discounts on all booked cruises this past week.

Anthem of the Seas March 20, 2022 saved $218.00

Oasis of the Seas May 1, 2022 saved $38.00

Oasis of the Seas May 8, 2022 saved $232.00

Wonder of the Seas October 30, 2022 saved $46.00 + $50 obc

• Like 1