WHICH ISLANDS

abby1257

The problem arises

whether said ship has Covid cases on board -or not.

I don't think any island has a blanket refusal policy

because we small islands need your tourism dollar!
The problem is Covid, not the island, not the ship.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

The problem arises

whether said ship has Covid cases on board -or not.

I don't think any island has a blanket refusal policy

because we small islands need your tourism dollar!
The problem is Covid, not the island, not the ship.

Not true. 

St.. Martin, Grand Cayman, San Juan, and Key West are among the places that are currently not open to any large cruise ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnicktem said:

I thought that St. Maarten opened back up?

I'm 'Liked' to their thing on Facebook - Port St. Maarten

and have been seeing large ships calling at the Port of Philipsburg

for awhile now...

but maybe they're being refused

over the other French side of the island, at Marigot?

I've just looked thru recent FB posts at Port St. Maarten

and see quite a bit of ship activity!
Have a look at this!

Port Schedule.jpg

Well....I saw on the news a couple of days ago, the covid numbers have increased 950% ALONE IN FLORIDA in just 1 week....so higher now....SO.. my guess (and only my guess) is that I won't have to cancel my March cruise....it will be cancelled for me.....and then to be followed by my Alaska cruise in May.....happy cruising

17 minutes ago, abby1257 said:

Well....I saw on the news a couple of days ago, the covid numbers have increased 950% ALONE IN FLORIDA in just 1 week....so higher now....SO.. my guess (and only my guess) is that I won't have to cancel my March cruise....it will be cancelled for me.....and then to be followed by my Alaska cruise in May.....happy cruising

I would keep an open mind on that. Omicron seems to hit a country hard with a big wave that then subsides kind of quickly....maybe 6 weeks? March may be back to case levels more similar to November.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, abby1257 said:

Can anyone tell me which islands are NOT allowing cruise ships to stop at?  

Key West locals voted against cruise ship visitors and were overruled by the Governor. Large cruise ships may or may not return to Key West, even after Covid.

Grand Cayman also closed to cruise visitors and considering making that tourism change permanent. They may choose to attract visitors  for longer, land based vacations with related development of better hotels and dining.

Other islands make their decisions based on Covid rates and trying to protect their citizens and/or guests. Grand Turk finally reopened in early Dec. and I see a new post they refused Freedom so, the situation will remain fluid during this Omicron surge.

• Like 1

I read an article this morning that said that Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao were closed to ships, also Grand Cayman, San Juan, but that's all i remember.  Might have been an email from Cruise Critic. Oh, and Australia, American ships cant  go into Canada, well, you can always "google" it, but that was for today, more may be added soon.

St. Maarten and San Juan put in testing requirements about 10 days ago that the cruise ships chose not to comply with.  While they still exist for San Juan, I had read somewhere that the cruiselines were in the process of 'working out' the St. Maarten restriction.  Don't know the exact status as I type.

19 hours ago, abby1257 said:

I wouldn't bank on that.  The cruise industry took a huge beating when they stopped for covid.  I do not think (and Carnival even mentioned) that they can survive another shutdown.  They will cruise at all costs.

• Like 1