Pianos onboard?

sciencewonk

3 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

Here's a question I haven't seen asked before.  I am in the habit of practicing my piano daily.  When I go on a cruise, are there any pianos available for passengers to practice?

The ships with Lincoln Center have a beautiful Steinway as well as a grand piano in the "former" Explorer's Lounge where the "Adagio Duo" performed, and there is a third grand piano on the main show lounge stage. A few ships have "real" pianos in the Billboard Duo Pianos.

However.....the entertainment staff take a dim view of guests attempting to use the ship's instruments. It disrupts the "elevator music" in the locations and is considered a distraction to the guests.

• Haha 1

On Noordam just prior to the pause there was an upright piano in one of the meeting rooms. One of the people I met on board was an excellent pianist and we gathered twice in that room for him to entertain us. Since it was out of the way, I can't see that there would be any problem. You might have to explore a bit to find if any of the meeting rooms contains a piano.

• Like 3

On a prior trans-Atlantic cruise, we requested to have the use of a piano.  They allowed us to use a keyboard in one of the meeting rooms.  And they gave us a time when the room was free and we could go in the room to play.  There were a few days when the room was going to be in use, surprise, and we have to give up the room and the piano on those days.  We did not press the issue because we know that schedules and meeting times are variable all the time on cruise ships.  And they were giving us permission to play their piano and we were willing to go with the flow.

We were hoping to get a grand piano because that's what my wife plays on.  I think they might be possessive of their grand pianos.  We were thankful that we were able to use a keyboard after all.

My recommendation would be to request the use of a piano on the first couple of days of your trip at the front desk.  They might put you in touch with one of the managers who will consider and give you permissions to use one.  Hopefully, you will be successful.  Good luck.

• Like 3

The pianos on the ship (which are routinely tuned) are there for the use of the entertainment staff and not considered a perk for the passengers.  That being said, we recall one Prinsendam cruise where a passenger was actually granted permission to practice on the piano in the Crow's Nest.   So we completely agree with the prior post that you should ask permission (early in the cruise) to practice.  You can raise the issue at Guest Relations or could also ask the Cruise Director if you happen to see him/her walking around the ship.

Hank

• Like 1

This is based on really old (like maybe 20 or 30 years ago, there was a man who practiced on a HAL ship each day of a 70is day cruise,   I discovered him on a cold, rainy day when I did my walking inside the ship.  As I walked by the upper level of the Main Dining room I heard this WONDERFUL piano music coming from the MDR. (At the time they had piano chamber type music  at Dinner.  As I soon learned (to the detriment of my walking) he was there most mornings so I sat outside the MDR doors and listened to him for part of my exercise time.  One day I had the opportunity to chat with him awhile with your very question. I too was curious how he arranged permission.  He explained the normal answer is no - you cannot practice onboard but that he had contacted HAL before the cruise and secured permission to practice on that piano only   (He was good!) he said that normally all of the piano keyboards in public areas were kept locked except when being used by the entertainment staff.    He was the pianist for some large city Symphony Orchestra and he could not take long cruises if he could not practice every day.  He felt very fortunate.to get permission. The trade-off what that difficult part was that he could only use the piano from either 3 or 4 in the morning until 5 or 6 in the morning  forgot which.    That is the only time I have seen a passenger  playing on a HAL ship.  (Well, there was the occasional Ship talent show pianist.)

• Like 1

I have recently been to a public event (on land) where guests were allowed to use the piano when the hired musicians were on break. It's amazing to me how many people let their children bang on someone else's the keyboard, which was miked throughout the entire venue, unfortunately.  I don't know why HAL would allow the passengers to have access to the ship's musical instruments. I wouldn't let a stranger use my piano, regardless of their level of expertise. How would HAL know the difference? I think they have utilized the proper regulations regarding this issue.

Can I use the sound equipment to practice my singing while on a cruise?  

(That would clear the room)

Can I use the galley to practice my chef/cooking skills?

(That would be a health hazard)

Can I use the massage tables to practice my massage therapy skills?

(no tip needed)

Can I use the drum set at BBKings to practice my percussion skills?

(another room cleared out quick)

I don't think Holland America Line needs to allow passengers to use equipment reserved for the professionals.

I would think the answer would be "no" to being given permission to play the piano....I've never seen that occur......But you could certainly ask.

Smooth sailing...........

• Like 1

But back in the day.....

We saw "the Origin" onboard (go see that when you see it scheduled) and they told of in the early transatlantic days of HAL, they would provide the piano and then a passenger would play......their comment was "now we provide the piano and the entertainment person"

• 2 weeks later...

I am an organist/pianist and often accompanied a former opera singer on short tours.  One such tour had me going straight from the port in San Diego (Oosterdam, Mexican Riviera) on disembarkation, and flying to Seattle for a concert.  Since I had my music packed, I was hoping to not go a full week without a little rehearsal time.  I inquired, and was politely told "no" as they did not want to risk damage to any of their instruments.  😏  Oh well, I guess I understand.  And, the concert was just fine so guess I didn't need the rehearsal....LOL.

Hal4Now - I had no idea the Zaandam had a pipe organ!  Wow!

7 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Interesting!!!  It is some sort of a hybrid organ, and not something you would normally find in a church, or perhaps a few ranks of real pipes (with 485 pipes) supplemented with digital sounds.  Would love to see in person sometime to see for myself!  🙂

Thank you for sharing!!!

Edited by DENIE