Northern lights & the Norwegian photography

JimChar

Will be heading for a northern lights cruise in October 2022 on Island Princess and covering these places.

Stavanger, Norway (10:00am – 6:00pm)

Tromso, Norway (9:00am - 11pm)

Alta, Norway (morning ? - overnight - next day 11:pm)  

Lofoten Islands (gravdal), Norway (8:00am – 11:00pm)

Alesund, Norway (8:00am – 5:00pm)

What lens and accessories should I bring along ?

Will there are a lot of hiking / walking to the sites for good aurora photography ?
Tied taking aurora pic from the cruise ship  ? 

Any resources that I can readup or youtube that I can refer to ? 

Besides arouras, is the long (and heavy) zoom lens needed ?

I have Canon 5D mk3 and a few lenses (150-600 G2, 17-40, 7-200, 24-105 etc). Will bring a carbon fiber tripod along
Appreciate all suggestions as I am from the tropics and this is as exotic as I can imagine within the 7th wonders. Hence will prepare in advance as much as i can. 

Thank you very much

Thank you in advance 

• Like 1

I can't give any hints specific to these locations on Norwegian coast, but here is few tips on northern lights photography in general:

There isn't really any specific aurora observation sites, you can do that almost anywhere, you just need reasonably clear view to the northern sky. It also helps if there is not much light pollution, so somewhere outside cities is often better choice of location. Also further north the chances of this phenomenon occuring is more frequent. And of course, if there is thick cloud cover, there is no hope seeing any auroras regardless how good or bad space weather is just then.

For photographing auroras, you want long exposures and thus the tripod is a must. And on a moving ship tripods sadly keep the camera stable only in relation with the deck rather than the horizon.

And since photographing northern lights is activity taking place after sun has set and in October the weather will start get colder (albeit on the coast the warm sea may moderate temperatures a bit), be sure that you have enough warm clothing as getting cold can ruin any photography session.

And it depends on your interests whether it is worthwhile to bring the long telephoto, October could be still decent time to see some birds for example.

• Thanks 1

A  northern lights display can span a large portion of the sky, so when looking for the perfect focal length there is no doubt you should be looking for a wide-angle lens.

If using lenses with aperture of f/2.8 or f/4, it forces you to use a very high ISO that can leave your images looking too grainy or using very long  shutter speed.  

You might use a shutter speed from 1 to 5 seconds - between 15 and 20 seconds the stars in the night sky will be clear and without star trails and difficult if taking photo from a moving ship.

A tripod and timed trigger to ensure a stable camera

Also bring extra batteries to ensure that the camera  has enough power in the cold winter where the capacity of batteries is greatly reduced.

The best lens for shooting the aurora is a lens with a wider maximum aperture such as f/1.4, f/1.8 or f/2. This makes the 24mm focal length (likely a 24mm f/1.4 lens) the perfect choice for northern lights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 'visit Norway' site has a Northern Lights page https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/nature-attractions/northern-lights/ 

Also a photography page https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/nature-attractions/northern-lights/how-to-photograph/

It looks like during your overnight in Alta, either a ship's excursion or a local operator  'northern lights chase' will try get you to clear sky & a likely vantage point.

I did some research about northern lights 'chases' from Tromso for my upcoming cruise [overnight November 6 - 7]. Some of the operators provide thermal coveralls - but require that you bring your own warm footwear. Camera tripods are usually available from the local operators [one less thing to pack].

Have you joined the 'roll call' for your sailing? Has there been any discussion there about tours?

As for me, I'm bringing a mechanical, manual focus wide angle lens for my Olympus OMD EM1.2 body [7.5mm f/2 or 10mm f/2 ] supplementing my usual zooms.  I have not made a decision between the Cunard tour and one of the local tour operators [I'll be looking for feedback on my roll call thread before deciding]

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Hezu said:

I can't give any hints specific to these locations on Norwegian coast, but here is few tips on northern lights photography in general:

There isn't really any specific aurora observation sites, you can do that almost anywhere, you just need reasonably clear view to the northern sky. It also helps if there is not much light pollution, so somewhere outside cities is often better choice of location. Also further north the chances of this phenomenon occuring is more frequent. And of course, if there is thick cloud cover, there is no hope seeing any auroras regardless how good or bad space weather is just then.

For photographing auroras, you want long exposures and thus the tripod is a must. And on a moving ship tripods sadly keep the camera stable only in relation with the deck rather than the horizon.

And since photographing northern lights is activity taking place after sun has set and in October the weather will start get colder (albeit on the coast the warm sea may moderate temperatures a bit), be sure that you have enough warm clothing as getting cold can ruin any photography session.

And it depends on your interests whether it is worthwhile to bring the long telephoto, October could be still decent time to see some birds for example.

Thank you for the information 🙂

15 hours ago, hallasm said:

A  northern lights display can span a large portion of the sky, so when looking for the perfect focal length there is no doubt you should be looking for a wide-angle lens.

If using lenses with aperture of f/2.8 or f/4, it forces you to use a very high ISO that can leave your images looking too grainy or using very long  shutter speed.  

You might use a shutter speed from 1 to 5 seconds - between 15 and 20 seconds the stars in the night sky will be clear and without star trails and difficult if taking photo from a moving ship.

A tripod and timed trigger to ensure a stable camera

Also bring extra batteries to ensure that the camera  has enough power in the cold winter where the capacity of batteries is greatly reduced.

The best lens for shooting the aurora is a lens with a wider maximum aperture such as f/1.4, f/1.8 or f/2. This makes the 24mm focal length (likely a 24mm f/1.4 lens) the perfect choice for northern lights.

Thanks for information.
Unfortunately, my largest f-stop is a 20mm/2.8 CSJ. the 1.8 (50mm) or 1.4 (85mm), i doubt will be useful here ?. 
Will bring all 3 batteries and the powerbank for the smart phone. 
Tripod / cable / app /light sticks (whatever that is called) / torch lights 

14 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

The 'visit Norway' site has a Northern Lights page https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/nature-attractions/northern-lights/ 

Also a photography page https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/nature-attractions/northern-lights/how-to-photograph/

It looks like during your overnight in Alta, either a ship's excursion or a local operator  'northern lights chase' will try get you to clear sky & a likely vantage point.

I did some research about northern lights 'chases' from Tromso for my upcoming cruise [overnight November 6 - 7]. Some of the operators provide thermal coveralls - but require that you bring your own warm footwear. Camera tripods are usually available from the local operators [one less thing to pack].

Have you joined the 'roll call' for your sailing? Has there been any discussion there about tours?

As for me, I'm bringing a mechanical, manual focus wide angle lens for my Olympus OMD EM1.2 body [7.5mm f/2 or 10mm f/2 ] supplementing my usual zooms.  I have not made a decision between the Cunard tour and one of the local tour operators [I'll be looking for feedback on my roll call thread before deciding]

@TheOldBear Thanks for the info.

I had joined the roll calls for this B2B. It is not that active yet.
Only had 2 suggestions for Lofoten Islands &  Lekens (somewhere north but unsure which port) from a fellow roll call member.  If there is any recommendations for Alta, I'd appreciate it and we can have more choices. 

While I have an 8mm samyang fish eye, it's f3.5 or a 20mm f2.8 . Both manual focus. 
I am hesitant to bring the 150-600 along. It is a very heavy beast and in this cold, I might not last that long. BUT.....

• 2 months later...

I'd skip taking the 150-600 lens.  I only take my 600 if I intend to do wildlife photography class. I would invest in a 1.2-1.4 wide angle but not fisheye  lens in the 16-35 range. Prime and manual focus is fine.  Practice using your camera or remote with thick gloves on. Air activated footbed warmers for skiing or winter hiking combined with wool socks will make standing outside in the cold far more comfortable and take up little room in your bag. Something living in the tropics you probably haven't needed to do. I can't comment on your ports but we will be doing an Alaska cruise in October hoping for northern lights as well. 

I've been considering a NL cruise too and been doing some research on how to get good photos.  The consensus seems to be the widest angle lens you have (not fisheye) ISO 3200-6400, 3-5 second exposure,  good tripod, and a timer delay or remote control.  Lately, the newest flagship phones with a nightsight setting are getting good reviews for results and ease of use.  You still need a tripod.  Our daughter got some really good shots of the Milky Way, taken at Big Bend National Park, with an iPhone 13 Pro.