Upsell Question

iflyrc5

This is for those that have gotten upsell offers in the past.  If you have TA and not using a HAL PCC does the upsell offer go to your TA and then then your TA contacts you or does HAL contact the guest directly with an offer?   Also,  do they make upsell offers for several different categories of cabins?  With the ships currently sailing at 50% or less I am thinking the upsell offers may be coming out soon - we sail on Feb 2.

I have been on one cruise with HAL and about a week before the cruise, I got an upsell from the TA from an inside to a Vista Suite on the old Statendam.   

I took the upsell.   I contacted HAL and they made a note about acceptance, but the payment had to go through TA.  Summer 2013.  

If you are using a TA the offer goes to them and the TA contacts you.  You then tell the TA you are interested at that price and the TA calls HAL back and accepts (if it is still available).  You can normally select your cabin from a list of open ones, but with the TA in the middle and time being critical, it makes this process tough at times.

If you book directly with HAL (or through a HAL PCC), you get the email directly and you call the inventory department number on the email and work out the details - very quick and easy, especially in selecting a cabin.

I understand that some of the very large TAs (like the big box company) do not like messing with this process, so they do not pass upsells along.  

If you do get an upsell offer, it often is for several different higher level categories, but never within the category you are currently in.

Normally the upsells go out 2-4 weeks prior to sailing date (this can vary due to the schedule the ship is on and other factor), but be READY to jump on the deal when it comes, as the good deals go VERY quickly.  I have seen deals with limited cabins go in a matter of minutes and even if the deal is still there, the better cabins usually go first (naturally).  One time I responded IMMEDIATELY to a deal and within 5 minutes got the sole Neptune cabin being offered (it was a great location, likely due to a last minute cancellation).

One more thing - do some homework ahead of time and decide how much you are willing to pay for different upsells and where on the ship you would like to be located - it really helps when the email comes and you have to respond quickly.  You sometimes may get an upsell offer at a high price (IMO) and if you turn it down, in a week or so you MAY get a new offer at a lower price.  My "rule of thumb" is to accept an upsell offer IF the cost to upsell is around 1/3rd of the normal price difference between my current cabin price and the new cabin current online price.  Of course, I do vary this a bit depending on how bad I want the upsell!

Any other upsell questions?  We have gotten some sweet deals with this and love when it happens.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I called inventory control for our cruise on Sunday 1/16 which appear to be about 1/3-1/2 sold and was told that there were no paid upgrades being offered on our sailing.  I thought a little strange given how empty the ship is.

2 hours ago, ksmaxey said:

I called inventory control for our cruise on Sunday 1/16 which appear to be about 1/3-1/2 sold and was told that there were no paid upgrades being offered on our sailing.  I thought a little strange given how empty the ship is.

Not surprising.  I have tried this in the past to no avail.  Sometimes a day or two later I would get an email offer from them on an upsell.  They seem to have pretty strict rules on how and when they offer upsells - consider the mess they would be in if it got out that people could call in for upsells - they would be on the phone all the time!  If you booked through HAL or a regular TA, keep your eyes on your email box and telephone.

This is why I chuckle a bit when posters suggest to people that book through the big box store, to call inventory control to check for upsells.  IMO, this MAY work occasionally, but not normally.  By the time they call in the upsell is likely over, or at least the good cabins have been taken, and secondly, if they call in before the email goes out to everyone, they are going to be told "nothing available".

We received our upsell email a few days ago (we sail 1/26).  We currently have a window obstructed view(hh) and our upsell offer is for a ocean view with no obstruction,  a balcony or suite. We are planning to go with the balcony at $299 pp. It includes the spa balconies. Those are on deck 10 and 11, we want deck 7. They don't include thermo spa anyway so not worth it for us.

13 minutes ago, surfone said:

We received our upsell email a few days ago (we sail 1/26).  We currently have a window obstructed view(hh) and our upsell offer is for a ocean view with no obstruction,  a balcony or suite. We are planning to go with the balcony at $299 pp. It includes the spa balconies. Those are on deck 10 and 11, we want deck 7. They don't include thermo spa anyway so not worth it for us.

Did you ask if other balconies are available?  Or did they just offer you Spa guarantee?

17 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Did you ask if other balconies are available?  Or did they just offer you Spa guarantee?

Any category balcony that is currently not booked that we find which includes the spa balconies are our choices. (Not accessible/handicap) @$299pp. I can't remember the suite upsell cost but we are going with the balcony

5 minutes ago, Cinder Again said:

Ted, I’d ask Alan to call them. Maybe you can get lucky, but I don’t see how trying now would hurt your chances later, esp. if he puts a note in the file that you are open to an upgrade/upsell

Did that last week.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

If you are using a TA the offer goes to them and the TA contacts you.  You then tell the TA you are interested at that price and the TA calls HAL back and accepts (if it is still available).  You can normally select your cabin from a list of open ones, but with the TA in the middle and time being critical, it makes this process tough at times.

This is exactly what I experienced when I went from a regular veranda stateroom to a Signature Suite about a week before departure.  And, then, again from that SS stateroom to a Neptune Suite 48 hours before departure.  Time is critical.  When I received the Neptune Suite offer, there were two suites available.  Initially, I turned the offer down when my TA called.  Looking at the deck plan to see where the suites were and what the facilities were in the suites, I changed my mind and called Mary back about 10 minutes later.  One of the two suites was already sold.  

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

This is exactly what I experienced when I went from a regular veranda stateroom to a Signature Suite about a week before departure.  And, then, again from that SS stateroom to a Neptune Suite 48 hours before departure.  Time is critical.  When I received the Neptune Suite offer, there were two suites available.  Initially, I turned the offer down when my TA called.  Looking at the deck plan to see where the suites were and what the facilities were in the suites, I changed my mind and called Mary back about 10 minutes later.  One of the two suites was already sold.  

One time I called immediately and got the sole Neptune cabin (right by the Lounge of all locations!) - within 5 minutes of the mass email going out the person told me.  On the cruise at our Roll Call Meet and Greet a lady was complaining about calling 10 minutes after she got the email and the Neptune upsells were all taken.  Of course I had to rub it in by telling her that I got my upsell in 5 minutes!!  She was not very happy with me, needless to say.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Just got an upgrade offer for my 2/13 cruise.

Was it a good offer in your opinion?  Often when they comes out 4 weeks prior they are high priced, but you never know!

Edited by DaveOKC

45 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I thought it was VERY high.  

Then wait - they likely will be back at you with a better deal.  Its a good idea to have a figure in mind that you would accept so that you can react quickly to a good offer.  Also, pick areas of the ships that the new catefory might be in and determine which ones you would want and not want.