Wifi costs on board

iflyrc5

4 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Another question...sorry.  We need to schedule a covid test for our next cruise while on the Nieuw Stadendam.  Can I purchase just one day of internet for that?  Thanks

Yes.  The cost of the internet package goes down every day so purchasing one day near the end of a cruise should be minimal.

4 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Another question...sorry.  We need to schedule a covid test for our next cruise while on the Nieuw Stadendam.  Can I purchase just one day of internet for that?  Thanks

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Yes.  The cost of the internet package goes down every day so purchasing one day near the end of a cruise should be minimal.

Sorry, I beg to differ with you. The price per day goes down based on the number of days you buy. The cost of 1 day is 24.95 for surf or 29.95 for premium whether you buy it on the first or last day of the cruise. At one time early on they had a small package so that people could check in for airlines, but that hasn't happened for a long time.

• Like 1

Sorry to continue to mooch off this thread, but can you still pay by the hour/bandwidth?  I mean, part of the reason for me going on this cruise is disconnecting so I'm not looking for the full package, but would still like to check in on the home front if possible.

1 hour ago, Cyberhwk said:

Sorry to continue to mooch off this thread, but can you still pay by the hour/bandwidth?  I mean, part of the reason for me going on this cruise is disconnecting so I'm not looking for the full package, but would still like to check in on the home front if possible.

You can't buy minutes the way it was in the past. You can buy a day at a time, at a very steep price.

On the bright side, you aren't paying for wasted minutes waiting for the slow Internet.

This cruise (Panama Canal), Internet performance has varied from abysmal to excellent. I have had long delays and download speeds of 2-3 Mbps. I can't see any pattern in performance.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:14 AM, VMax1700 said:

You must log off the first device and then log on with second device.  DW and I have shared one package reasonably successfully. 

NO - You do not have to log off....when the second computer tries to log on - It asks (ever so politely) if you want to disconnect the first computer.

I tend to go up to the Lido early in the morning to grab a small snack, read all the news that is fit to print, and trudge through my email (I am a morning person - DW - Not so much...and yet we are still married - go figure). When I get the notice I have been disconnected I know my DW is up and about and I should head home for our scheduled Room Service Breakfast and morning chit-chat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

NO - You do not have to log off....when the second computer tries to log on - It asks (ever so politely) if you want to disconnect the first computer.

I tend to go up to the Lido early in the morning to grab a small snack, read all the news that is fit to print, and trudge through my email (I am a morning person - DW - Not so much...and yet we are still married - go figure). When I get the notice I have been disconnected I know my DW is up and about and I should head home for our scheduled Room Service Breakfast and morning chit-chat.

Indeed, the one attempting to login can boot you.  Adding extra devices to your plan is at a very reduced rate.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Can you use wi fi calling on regular plan?

On our recent cruise, Wi-Fi calling did not work, and we had the Premium plan. We could not text using Wi-Fi either. Others on our cruise had the same experience. Facebook Messenger worked, including video calls.

At home, I can put my phone in airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi, and make calls and texts. Apparently, the Zuiderdam was blocking those services.

4 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

On our recent cruise, Wi-Fi calling did not work, and we had the Premium plan. We could not text using Wi-Fi either. Others on our cruise had the same experience. Facebook Messenger worked, including video calls.

At home, I can put my phone in airplane mode, turn on Wi-Fi, and make calls and texts. Apparently, the Zuiderdam was blocking those services.

Thank you. It was so nice to be able to do them on Princess!

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Does anyone know the cost to add a second device on the wifi package?

Three weeks ago on Nieuw Amsterdam I tried to add a second device for my last two cruise days.  I was only allowed to add three additional devices, not just one.  Cost was $10/day additional for the three devices or $20 for my last two days.  So last two days there were four devices, laptops, tablets, and phones connected at all times.

Like the same policy when only one device connection is purchased, if you try to connect and there are no connections available, the one trying to connect has the option to disconnect another device with no warning to the person using that device.   I did not run into the issue after having four devices connected, so not sure if one can select which of the four connected device are to be disconnected.

The mandatory three device policy may vary on other ships.

On 1/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, ilv4cruising said:

Sorry I realize my question about upgrading wasn't clear :(.  I meant has anyone received the Surf package on the Have it All promo and then upgraded to Premium.  If so, what was the charge?  Thanks,

We're currently on the Zuiderdam with the HIA package.  To upgrade to the premium package for 12 days was $50 less the $30 5 star discount or $20 net. It was a bargain in my view.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 1

The cruise line's job is to maximize profits and charge whatever the traffic will bear.  If we keep paying for expensive wifi, they'll keep charging the high prices.

My job is to economize whenever I can.  I try to unplug on cruises so I'm not interested in paying for a wifi plan.  If I do need to check emails, I'll do it once a week and get a 24 hour package at noon.  That enables me to access emails on two different days.  If I need more, I can usually find a wifi hotspot in port.

19 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

Does anyone know the cost to add a second device on the wifi package?

For use inside our cabin, I connected using my Windows laptop, turned on the Mobile Hotspot feature, and shared the connection with our phone and tablets.

That only works for devices in the same location, obviously.

2 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

For use inside our cabin, I connected using my Windows laptop, turned on the Mobile Hotspot feature, and shared the connection with our phone and tablets.

Any possibility that this is the reason that you could not use wifi calling on your phones? IP addresses etc.  Did you try wifi calling with the phone connected directly to the ship's wifi (not through your laptop)?

On 1/29/2022 at 2:34 AM, Btimmer said:

We're currently on the Zuiderdam with the HIA package.  To upgrade to the premium package for 12 days was $50 less the $30 5 star discount or $20 net. It was a bargain in my view.

Thank you for the information.  That is helpful.  Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, VMax1700 said:

Any possibility that this is the reason that you could not use wifi calling on your phones? IP addresses etc.  Did you try wifi calling with the phone connected directly to the ship's wifi (not through your laptop)?

I often connected directly to the HAL Wi-Fi network with my phone (when away from the cabin), and neither Wi-Fi Calling nor texting worked then either.

Good suggestion, though.

In addition, my VPN software would not work on any of my devices when connected to the ship's network.

Edited by IPB4IGO
typo

1 hour ago, IPB4IGO said:

I often connected directly to the HAL Wi-Fi network with my phone (when away from the cabin), and neither Wi-Fi Calling nor texting worked then either.

Good suggestion, though.

In addition, my VPN software would not work on any of my devices when connected to the ship's network.

I connected to the ship's WiFi all over the ship without issue.  My VPN & my Speedtest software would not work with the ship's WiFi.  I used texting all the time to connect with my wife on board and daughter at home.  All of us were on iPhones.  I could not text to a friend who was on Android.

I am not sure I understand about wifi. If we purchase one wifi package can I put my husband's computer on it along with my phone for a small additional fee  - the 'up to 3 devices ' or do we need to buy 2 separate packages?  We want to be using wifi at the same time.   Thank you for any help you can give me. 

On the Nieuw Amsterdam three weeks ago, I did not need to buy another package.  When you you login on a computer that is not connected, you will see options at the bottom of the screen to disconnect a computer that is connected or to add additional devices.  Nothing about buying additional packages.

I paid $10/day to add three more devices to my Premium Plan.  I don't know the charge for the Surf plan.

Edited by Crew News

8 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

I am not sure I understand about wifi. If we purchase one wifi package can I put my husband's computer on it along with my phone for a small additional fee  - the 'up to 3 devices ' or do we need to buy 2 separate packages?  We want to be using wifi at the same time.   Thank you for any help you can give me. 

If you have one WiFi account you can only connect one devise at a time.  If you try to connect a second device, you'll need to disconnect the first one