Sample wine lists with and without prices

kjbacon

We are now leaning away from the drinks package and toward ordering better bottles in the venues but I’m confused by the sample wine lists on line. Why do some bottles and glasses show a price while others do not? Also, can you order wine by the bottle in the bars/lounges or just by the glass? Thank you 🍷

Just guessing  on the sample menus  ...the bottle prices may change  from cruise to cruise along with some selections

I have not tried to order a bottle from the bar but it probably can be done

You can check out the The Preismans blog where he has some menus listed with pricing

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21_menus.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The “ bars” don’t actually have wines other than the by the glass menu. I’m sure you can buy any of that by the bottle. The restaurants have wine menus by the bottle that are peculiar to them, although PC and Toscana does share a menu.

While in a bar, If you had a particular wine in mind from one of the restaurants; and if the bar tender wasn’t too busy, they could probably retrieve and sell you a bottle. Don’t try it during Happy Hour!!

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Just guessing  on the sample menus  ...the bottle prices may change  from cruise to cruise along with some selections

I have not tried to order a bottle from the bar but it probably can be done

You can check out the The Preismans blog where he has some menus listed with pricing

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21_menus.htm

I was also looking for bottle prices and have not been successful in finding them, other than one wine list that has prices, but is undated and not identified as to venue (just says "Oceania" - no ship, no restaurant). Just trying to get some idea of what is available on the lower half of the price spectrum. I'm not planning to spend a couple of hundred dollars a night for a bottle of wine.

The only bottle prices I saw on the pages linked above were for the "bin-end" bottles. All other wine prices were by the glass. Did I miss bottle prices somewhere?

@kjbacon

it is my experience each ship and each restaurant could have different wines so you would need wine lists from them all. My suggestion is to bring some of your favorites along for those special dinners and just pay the $25 corkage.  We can pay $25-60 around the Napa and Sonoma Valleys and get some great wines that will easily be well over $100 on board. Since O does not prohibit bringing your own aboard, exercise that option.  
You can do some of the wine tasting events on an excursion or on board and if something suits your pallet, order it as you desire. We just got off Riviera a month ago and we had taken a case of wines aboard with friends and added more as we traveled. If you happen to be on Riviera, in Polo we found a great, IMHO, red wine that we have purchased before at the winery. It was a Ferrari Carano, Prevail West Face and it was only $86.  I say ONLY  because it is about $120 at the winery. Since we are next booked on Marina in March, I know I will go straight to Polo to see if they have it available.  What better place to spend Oceania’s gift of $500 in SBC for our recent cancellation/ship swap. 
Good luck in your search and enjoy the fruits of your labors

Ciao, Mauibabes 

45 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I was also looking for bottle prices and have not been successful in finding them, other than one wine list that has prices, but is undated and not identified as to venue (just says "Oceania" - no ship, no restaurant). Just trying to get some idea of what is available on the lower half of the price spectrum. I'm not planning to spend a couple of hundred dollars a night for a bottle of wine.

The only bottle prices I saw on the pages linked above were for the "bin-end" bottles. All other wine prices were by the glass. Did I miss bottle prices somewhere?

I can't help with a full list, but the Cotes du Rhone that is on the Main Bar Menu at
https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_21_menus.htm#grand
for $10.50/glass was $55.20 including gratuity (so $46) per bottle, so about 3x store price plus gratuity.

Thank you all for this very helpful information! We are definitely going to call our TA and cancel the drink

package. We would prefer to order better wines and we might bring a couple on too. Interestingly enough, a cotes du Rhone was our go to at one of our favorite lounges on regent. These menus are great, thank you, and we will def look into the bin ends. Mauibabe, I copied your Ferrari Carani suggestion into my important notes!

Edited by kjbacon

9 hours ago, Clutj said:

I will load the full list from Riviera, Nov 13-Dec 3, 2021.  Sorry I don’t have it on a website to just link.

Perfect. Thank you.

I wasn't trying to plan out exactly what wines I would be drinking. Just wanted some idea of what types of wine were available at what price points. This list definitely gives me that information.

Bin ends list from Riviera Nov 2021.  Just as an example of the type of wines and the price breaks… Remember, always a 20% gratuity.   If you have the beverage package, there is 15% discount off the bottle price first, so that sort of nets out…

69962ACB-9633-4861-89B7-312D6A35F1DA.thumb.jpeg.2558c1eb92f116ee76155ca9062b7312.jpeg

Wow - I can't believe the markups on those wines.  For example, i googled  the Inglenook Rubicon Red shown at a list price of US$650 in your picture.     The most expensive price I found online for a 2010  was CA$188 or about US$150.   Maybe it's a nice wine, but at those prices, I'll drink it at home!

1 hour ago, navelgunner said:

Wow - I can't believe the markups on those wines.  For example, i googled  the Inglenook Rubicon Red shown at a list price of US$650 in your picture.     The most expensive price I found online for a 2010  was CA$188 or about US$150.   Maybe it's a nice wine, but at those prices, I'll drink it at home!

Spoken like a true GM............

6 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Does  Spain and Italy  charge VAT on your wine/liquor ordered while in their waters?   I seem to remember some sort of extra  tax es for some countries.   

Yes in Spanish waters. Not sure about Italy. 

Dan; I think we’re on a cruise together in the Fall : Bilboa-Lisbon. We go on to BCN, but believe you’re getting off there in Lisbon.

We’re spending 3 days in Rioja pre cruise. We’ll have no reason to buy overpriced wines from the ship’s stock ! 😎 Aren’t you on the cruise before that is stopping in Bordeaux? 

47 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Yes in Spanish waters. Not sure about Italy. 

Dan; I think we’re on a cruise together in the Fall : Bilboa-Lisbon. We go on to BCN, but believe you’re getting off there in Lisbon.

We’re spending 3 days in Rioja pre cruise. We’ll have no reason to buy overpriced wines from the ship’s stock ! 😎 Aren’t you on the cruise before that is stopping in Bordeaux? 

Yes...AMS-LIS Sept 27.. ( rescheduled 2 times from 2019 !   Will be in AMS 4 days pre cruise  in order to visit OOsterbek for  bridge too far ceremony.  ( market garden 44). I am a non member of 2nd So Staff/Airbourne...   but thats another story.

On the 2 days in Bordeaux i have a local guy, Wine expert, and former restaurant owner   to give me 2 days      St Ermilion, Pomerol geting  to L' Evangile and  Canon ( 2 of my fav  have 2005's and 2009's in my  cellar) with sone great French cuisine    (Bordeaux Ala Carte is his site a 1 man dynamo  known every body and they him.)    I have space if you want make it 4?

Another day,  up the River to sample the countryside near lascaux,    While most head to that site in hordes there are other gem's not over run.   As a cave loving guy there is plenty to see.    Speaking of which,  Lascaux is eclipsed by a new cave discovery and museum at Pont Du Arc on the Ardeche  ( search the web) .    I am headed there in late June with swiss caving friends.   ( I am sick  but what the heck)      Dan

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;  We spent 10 days in Bordeaux this past July, so will pass on your gracious offer to accompany your in Bdx. Our pre cruise time, before boarding in Bilboa will be 3 days down tasting and drinking Riojas. 🍷

Two ships , passing in the night......Ah yes as it were      As a habitual cork popper  I encourage you to get some 09 L' Evangile..... parker gave it 100

.  Bon journey  mon amis du mere

Edited by Hawaiidan

47 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Two ships , passing in the night......Ah yes as it were      As a habitual cork popper  I encourage you to get some 09 L' Evangile..... parker gave it 100

.  Bon journey  mon amis du mere

We’ll must have dinner one night, or two, together on the Sirena. Sadly that short portion together is only 7 days, but let plan on doing it!

I was an Army Ranger, by the way, and don’t speak Navy! 😂😂🍷🍷

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

We’ll must have dinner one night, or two, together on the Sirena. Sadly that short portion together is only 7 days, but let plan on doing it!

I was an Army Ranger, by the way, and don’t speak Navy! 😂😂🍷🍷

Ok  ground pounder....  I go tODA buddies they have no problem with  us  Squids...   and am ecumenical and accept all MOS's        I am on Marina Sept and Riveria august....     

b268_2.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 1/16/2022 at 10:20 AM, navelgunner said:

Others like the Louis Jadot white burgundies don’t have a bad mark up at all.   It’s odd. 

58 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Others like the Louis Jadot white burgundies don’t have a bad mark up at all.   It’s odd. 

Agree that seems a good option. Posting to follow.  Will be on March transatlantic with whatever wemcan source in Florida.  Sadly no time for a Berns Steakhouse run in Tampa.  Dinner there with 12 wine writers for my friends 50th birthday (Wine Blogger of the year) one of my peak wine experiences.  First Oceana trip.