Cunard QM2 14th Jan to 11th Feb 2022

Matelot70

7 February
Decided to visit Puerto de la Cruz as I have a soft spot for the town. That is because it was my first taste of Spain 46 years ago and it was just before my late wife had our first son. 
Puerto was a very small unspoilt resort back then and the South East of the island was only just being developed. It has changed a lot but has avoided too many high rises by the sea and it is a pleasant walk along the promenade that has been constructed.  We had some tapas and a beer in very pleasant sunshine and were there for four hours. After that back for a swim and therapeutic jacuzzi on Deck 12.

Captain Hall pulled away promptly at 1800. His forecast for the next 3 days is that a high pressure system should ensure winds will reach no more than Force 4/5. However there will be a significant swell that might reach 5 metres at Cape Finisterre and into the Bay of Biscay. More lively than our wonderfully calm Atlantic crossing but not anything that should trouble us on this ship.

I chose Tandoori lamb cutlets the accompanying rice tonight welcome as a generous helping of  Canarian potatoes came with the tapas at lunch.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the excellent updates on the progress of your voyage. It sounds like things are going well. We are leaving on February 22 out of NYC for 14 days round trip to the Caribbean. Therefore some of your information has been very useful. I did have a couple of questions if you could answer I would appreciate it. Are the laundromats on the ship open for passenger use? We received something in the mail saying that they would most likely be closed. We were hoping to do wash so we wouldn’t have to pack as much.  Also is the Canyon Ranch Spa open?  Is there any thing else on the ship that is closed? Also, would it save  any time with Covid testing to bring along the telehealth Covid tests that you perform with an online monitor (e.g. Abbotts BinaxNow AG card).   Thanks for any insight you can share. I hope you have a great rest of your cruise.

38 minutes ago, Viking75 said:

Thanks for all the excellent updates on the progress of your voyage. It sounds like things are going well. We are leaving on February 22 out of NYC for 14 days round trip to the Caribbean. Therefore some of your information has been very useful. I did have a couple of questions if you could answer I would appreciate it. Are the laundromats on the ship open for passenger use? We received something in the mail saying that they would most likely be closed. We were hoping to do wash so we wouldn’t have to pack as much.  Also is the Canyon Ranch Spa open?  Is there any thing else on the ship that is closed? Also, would it save  any time with Covid testing to bring along the telehealth Covid tests that you perform with an online monitor (e.g. Abbotts BinaxNow AG card).   Thanks for any insight you can share. I hope you have a great rest of your cruise.

Just now, Matelot70 said:

Laundry closed first few days but open since. Canyon Ranch is now Mareel and has been open, I have even had a haircut. I am not familiar with the devices you mention but I think they would only be useful for personal use. In any case anything relying on the on board internet would not save time. Any test for infection on the ship or for official use like the Cunard certificate that was required in Barbados for independent travel has to be done and processed by a certified professional. I am afraid there is no alternative. However arrangements are very efficient and cause little inconvenience. Nothing specific has been closed but activities are more limited eg no IT teaching sessions or social hostess.

Having said all that what I have learned from 3 cruises is that all cruises depend on the circumstances at the time and ports visited so my experience may not be the same as yours.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

Laundry closed first few days but open since. Canyon Ranch is now Mareel and has been open, I have even had a haircut. I am not familiar with the devices you mention but I think they would only be useful for personal use. In any case anything relying on the on board internet would not save time. Any test for infection on the ship or for official use like the Cunard certificate that was required in Barbados for independent travel has to be done and processed by a certified professional. I am afraid there is no alternative. However arrangements are very efficient and cause little inconvenience. Nothing specific has been closed but activities are more limited eg no IT teaching sessions or social hostess.

Having said all that what I have learned from 3 cruises is that all cruises depend on the circumstances at the time and ports visited so my experience may not be the same as yours.

Thanks for the updates!  It’s always great to hear from someone onboard.

Have a great time and stay safe!

9 February
Woke at 0645 with the open curtains of our starboard side cabin revealing Venus hanging low in the eastern sky as if to ensure I know that we are heading north. I didn't really need that confirmation as the darkness of the shorter days are already heralding our return to winter. I did think the clear skies might give us some final warm sunshine.
Breakfast arrived at 0730 and we had a casual, lazy start to the day. We went up to the Commodore lounge to allow time for our cabin to be serviced. Reading a book with the best view on the ship is always a pleasure to enjoy. The thoughts of my wife turned to more practical matters and having spotted an empty washing machine decided to utilise it. So everything degenerated to going between a surprisingly warm balcony and washers and driers two-thirds of a very long ship away.
Noon announcement by the Captain tells us we are 33 degrees north and the hazy sunshine should persist. He foreshadowed the naming announcement at 1.00pm of the new ship due for delivery next year.
Went to the Astronomy lecture at 12.30pm and this was interrupted by the Captain making the announcement about Queen Anne entering service in early 2024.
Decided that we could have a room service snack for lunch on the balcony washed down by the last 2 bottles of Carib that have travelled a couple of thousand miles with us. Unlike some wines bought on holiday they had travelled well. The departure information and labels arrived during the afternoon giving a time of 09.30 for leaving our cabin. It is the latest time that I can remember. Apparently the only passengers that now have any priority are those in Queens grill. For anyone else no account is taken of cabin grade or world club status.
Off to dinner early so that we can go to the show, the comedian Micky Zane
  • Like 2

9 February (sorry date on last post should be 8 😎

It is beginning to feel very much like the cruise is ending. Various end of cruise tasks being carried out and starting to think about packing. Still got one last Gala night tonight a red and gold night. Out of 28 nights it is only the 4th Gala night. This seems to be a puzzingly low number for a cruise with so many sea days. In fact it has been one of the most underdressed trips I have been on with a very casual air to the cruise.  It has not felt like a traditional Cunard experience. No doubt this is partly due to Covid but I don't think that is the whole reason.
Went to one of the Insights lectures on Astronomy at 1000 and by the the time that finished it was warm enough to sit and read. Approaching Cape Finisterre with the sea calm but the large swells the Captain  promised can be seen rolling towards us from the NorthWest. On board the result is a gentle rocking motion that made an afternoon nap very tempting.
Formal attire on it is off to the Commodore Club for a pre dinner G&T. We are weaving our way there before any alcohol because of the swell which is more noticeable in the club. Dinner menu of fillet beef Wellington or lobster tail and baked Alastair with flaming morello cherries. Thomas is really busy tonight with his frying pan.
We the went to the Queens  Room where Micky Zane gave another comedy performance that lasted nearly an hour. It was well received by quite a full Room. Interestingly most people were formally dressed but there was not a strong red and gold theme. A very pleasant penultimate evening before a final day dominated by packing.

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 2

Yes - thank you very much for your informative posts.

Friends of ours were on the Christmas cruise and I was starting to wonder if our May TA east was going to happen.   Your posts give me faith that after 2020 and 2021 cancellations that 2022 will be the year we get back to traveling.

13 hours ago, Jon_pw said:

Thank you so much for your reports! We will be joining the QM2 on Sunday for a full 32 day cruise and it has been very reassuring reading your diary of what sounds like a fairly normal trip.

QM2 is leaving for the caribbean on tue 15th feb. Are you staying for 2 days in southampton.😁

22 hours ago, Jon_pw said:

Thank you so much for your reports! We will be joining the QM2 on Sunday for a full 32 day cruise and it has been very reassuring reading your diary of what sounds like a fairly normal trip.

Thank you hope you enjoy as much as we did. Fair winds and smooth seas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Insights said:

Thank you Matelot for you daily updates. It is good to know this cruise did not involve the bad publicity of the last QM2 cruise. Hopefully, the next one sailing to the Caribbean will be as "covid free" as this one?

I hope so too. I think we became Covid free because of good luck for us and bad luck for the previous cruise. Cunard had 4 days to prepare the ship and crew and in their words reset. Protocols were returned to the levels on QE in September. A simple indicator was only 4 guests in the lift something that had been dropped in December on QE. l think that the fact we had only 1 port call for 10 days meant we arrived in Barbados with any infections on board over or under control. We heard no more return immediately to cabin calls after Lisbon. Our having 10 days with no major passenger changes or stay in a port for 3 days was certainly an advantage. I think the on board testing before we entered Lisbon caught any cases that escaped pre embarkation testing in Southampton. I hope Cunard have taken away lessons that will give all future cruisers as happy an experience as us.

• Like 7

Early breakfast and way as soon as possible. Hope the cases that mysteriously disappeared in the night reappear dockside this morning and my car starts afrer 4 weeks. Should do it is a VW.

Thank you for following my meanderings if you are still reading. I hope they some useful items have helped in these extraordinary times. Good luck to all future cruisers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Matelot70 said:

Early breakfast and way as soon as possible. Hope the cases that mysteriously disappeared in the night reappear dockside this morning and my car starts afrer 4 weeks. Should do it is a VW.

Thank you for following my meanderings if you are still reading. I hope they some useful items have helped in these extraordinary times. Good luck to all future cruisers.

Welcome back and thank you once again for your fantastic reports. 
We sail for the first time on QM2 in April and your detailed and honest updates have boosted our confidence considerably.

Safe travels.

We returned home from this voyage yesterday. Had a wonderful relaxing time with excellent service throughout. We were in the Grills and the personal level of service was exceptional, but throughout the ship the staff were great.

It would have been nice to have more evening events, few late night quizzes and 7pm is not good for the Wipeout 8pm is a better fit for most passengers.  However we are sailing in the time of Covid and have to be adaptable.

My only concern was the poor standard of dress in the evening. Polo shirts, trainers and T shirts are not appropriate wear at dinner.

We enjoyed it so much we have booked 2 other cruises whilst onboard.

The Grenada day was the highlight of our trip as we have been unable to see our family due to lockdowns, We could hug our grandaughter (18 months) for the first time and return this week on QM2 as we hope to meet another grandchild on this occasion as well and  we have lots of goodies to take them.

• Like 3

I concur with the comments by those that like me left the ship on 11th all things considered it was a perfectly excellent cruise with the crew being exceptionall even by Cunard standards     sometimes in KC it seemed they were in competition 2c who could offer u a drink first. I agree with comments on dress code. Mask.wearing generally satisfactory , some simply forgot but some seemed 2 think that wearing mask under lower lip was ok. Booked 2 QV cruises for 23 , North Cape in June so will be able to look up my old stamping ground and Santorini in Oct. Tour office was very helpful. We did briefly consider transferring when the Xmas cruise problems arose but we stuck with and glad that we did. Downsides IT  of course and no weather 2 show QM2 at her best. I trust the 2 future Caribbean cruises will be as good.

• Like 1

"

2 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

At times even I yearned to just go to the radio room and send an old fashioned wireless and be done with it. "Having Great Time. Stop." 10 shillings and it's done and dusted.  

As someone whose day job involves development and maintenance of satellite communications... I wholeheartedly concur!

2 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

We added four extra "personal formal nights" to make a total of eight which, normally, would have been the usual. The lack of or paucity of official gala evenings for this cruise was bizarre to say the least. We noticed a few doing the same.  

And yes, the standards of evening attire were all over the shop.  Most made an effort, some did the bare minimum and yes, some looked as if they were dressed for the 19th hole and not in a golf club I'd aspire to belong to. I suppose golf shirts do have collars but  no socks and trainers are not a good look in The Chart Room or Commodore Club or the local down the road for that matter. The passenger "mix" reflected a lot of this and it was either Cunard regulars or complete newcomers, many doubtless attracted by the amazing min lead in rate of $3,600 pp for 28 days (!).  

The crew were simply delightful. I did appreciate that the Grills Lounge really did make a much better martini than any other venue and it's wonderful they still serve tea there on QM2 and not in the restaurant as on QE and QV.  The service on the Grills Deck was right out of First Class on QE2 in the old days.  Also out of the old days was the breakdown of the computer system in many of the bars... they resorted to a pencil and a note book and, at least thanks to my very regular patronage, remembered your cabin number.  

BTW, Stephen Payne confirmed to me that the wireless outfit will be completely replaced come autumn, it being made known that quite a few "movers and shakers" would avail themselves of the crossings if the wifi was at least post 1996.  At times even I yearned to just go to the radio room and send an old fashioned wireless and be done with it. "Having Great Time. Stop." 10 shillings and it's done and dusted.  

1-IMG_8865.JPG

I