I am confused about cancellation

ablodget2

1 hour ago, bortman23 said:

I've read everything, so thanks for the rude reply

If you've read everything, then

2 hours ago, leithbones said:

You disagree with the posts on this thread and/or interpret the policy differently than many of us.

Can you cite posted/printed policy from NCL which supports your position that

22 hours ago, bortman23 said:

Once you cancel, anything they do after the fact has no affect on you. 

This thread has several links from NCL which are counter to your assertion.

I'll try to post less rude replies.

2 hours ago, leithbones said:

If you've read everything, then

Can you cite posted/printed policy from NCL which supports your position that

This thread has several links from NCL which are counter to your assertion.

I'll try to post less rude replies.

Lol this isn't debate class, it's a message board. Enjoy your day.

4 hours ago, leithbones said:

I have one minor quibble with

I would change to "you're ELIGIBLE for the refund"

Fair point.  From the policy, it isn't even clear that the refund is automatic for those who don't cancel, but it seems to be what NCL has been doing.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, ablodget2 said:

On January 3, 2022, I canceled the Breakaway cruise scheduled for January 23, 2022, due to concerns my husband and I had regarding the virus.  We were issued full FCC under the Peace of Mind policy.  Under the "refund and cancellation policy for Covid-19" found on the NCL website I found this:  

• If your cruise is cancelled by Norwegian or boarding is delayed by twenty-four (24) hours or more due to government order or declaration of Public Health Emergency, you are entitled to a refund of the amount paid to Norwegian within 180 days, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”). This policy also applies if you already cancelled the same cruise within 60 days prior to the scheduled sailing date.

Doesn't the last line appear to allow me to get a refund rather than FCC?  Isn't it my choice?

If your cruise is cancelled by Norwegian.  The first line is the most important.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:42 PM, Milaandra said:

As I understand the wording, if you cancel after final payment, you get FCC.  Unless that cruise is afterwards cancelled by NCL, in which case you can get a refund, despite the fact that you had earlier cancelled.  Anyone else read it like that?

No

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If your cruise is cancelled by Norwegian.  The first line is the most important.

As with any contract, all of the words are important.  "This policy also applies if you already cancelled the same cruise within 60 days prior to the scheduled sailing date."  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

No

You are wrong.  A fair number of us read it like that.  What language in the quoted policy leads you to a different conclusion?

A fair point was made by another poster - if you already canceled and received the FCC you don't "get" the refund automatically, but are eligible for it and may request it. 

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Love it when one does not get the answer they are looking/wanting for, they call it rude.  🙄

To be fair, the response Bortman was referring to was fairly rude.  What I find humorous is I think Bortman, if I understand their position correctly, has the same position as you.

5 hours ago, bortman23 said:

Lol this isn't debate class, it's a message board. Enjoy your day.

Yep, correct, A message board.

Like the wall of a bathroom stall, it allows one to write whatever inaccurate BS he chooses without consequence, then skip along his way when called to account.

No acknowledgment of error (even if made in good faith), or mea culpa for misleading readers.

Have a good day. 🙂

34 minutes ago, leithbones said:

Yep, correct, A message board.

Like the wall of a bathroom stall, it allows one to write whatever inaccurate BS he chooses without consequence, then skip along his way when called to account.

No acknowledgment of error (even if made in good faith), or mea culpa for misleading readers.

Have a good day. 🙂

I'm thinking this not being rude thing is a challenge for you.

• 5 weeks later...

I am the OP and am happy to report that I filed my case submission form on 1/15/2022 and received "preliminary approval" of my refund to original form of payment today, February 17. The email said I should receive the refund within 90 days of original submission date.  It took just over a month to receive a reply, but I am sure they have been swamped and I am satisfied with the response.  I will update when I receive the refund.

• Like 1

The clarity with the rule could be better for sure, but I am certain NCL's position is that the entire provision, including the language leading up to the final sentence, leads to the conclusion that the last sentence means, if NCL cancels after you exercised your "peace of mind" option, then you are entitled to a refund.  But NCL ultimately canceling the cruise is an absolute prerequisite to you getting a cash refund.  I'm not saying you wouldn't have an argument to the contrary, and perhaps if litigated you might even prevail, but I doubt you will convince NCL short of suing them. 

The provision must been read in its entirety to give understanding to each word. It does appear that the rule, read in full, applies only to situations where NCL has canceled, and it provides an option for those who previously took the FCC under the POM policy to get a refund, if and when NCL cancels the entire cruise thereafter.  The best legal argument to the contrary would be that, because contracts are generally construed against the drafter (in this case NCL) the language should be liberally interpreted in favor of the cruiser.  But that is for the determination of a judge, and you would likely need to take it that far to get an answer. My betting money would be on NCL to win, but that's not to say you wouldn't.

• 1 month later...

I am the OP.  Today I received a full refund for my 1/23/2022 Breakaway cruise.  I had canceled under the Peace of Mind policy one week before NCL canceled the cruise.  I was immediately given FCC for the cruise, but I applied to have the FCC converted to a cash refund because NCL ended up cancelling the cruise .  Today I received a full refund for what I paid minus the $250 I paid for a cruise First certificate.  That certificate shows in my account as a $500 credit good through 11/17/2024.  Yes, it took from January 17 when I applied for the cash refund until today to receive it, about 10 weeks, but I am satisfied with the result and think NCL did a good job following through.  Now looking to book for Thanksgiving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1