Question about Cancelling vs Possible Downgrade

Background:  Did on on-board booking at the cruise desk for 2 cabins in Sept 22 (well outside final payment).  Cabin 1 – 1A Ultra Spacious Oceanview Balcony for me, DW and DS.  Cabin 2 – 2D - OV Balcony Cabin for DD and SIL.  For the cruise desk booking, we only paid $100 PP deposit.  This booking automatically transferred to a big box TA upon booking.  So we have to go thru the TA.  Not trip insurance at this point, given minimal deposit.

Issue:  DD and SIL now can’t make the trip.  So, our thoughts are to move DS into the OV Balcony and allow his friend to come with him.  But, that will change our 1D to only have 2 guests.  I think 1A has a minimum guest number over 2 for a booking this far out.

Questions:  
1) Will they automatically kick us out of the 1A cabin?  Where will they move us to; just another OV Balcony?  Will the price adjust or will it stay at the 1D rate?  Ending with 2 cabins in 2D is fine.
2) Can we just cancel under the new CWC rules, get FCC and rebook?  Will that be at the $100 deposit or will it be at the normal deposit amount?  If they won’t lower the cabin rate, might be way ahead to do this to get rid of 5 guests and move to 4 guests in CP view balcony cabins or could keep OV balcony cabins.  Prefer to not double the amount I have on deposit but will if it makes more sense.  
3) Other option I’m not thinking about?

Appreciate constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Edited by shellunderwater

2 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:
Background: Did an on-board booking at the cruise desk for 2 cabins in Sept 22 (well outside final
payment). Cabin 1 – 1A Ultra Spacious Oceanview Balcony for me, DW and DS. Cabin 2 – 2D - OV
Balcony Cabin for DD and SIL. For the cruise desk booking, we only paid $100 PP deposit. This booking
automatically transferred to a big box TA upon booking. So we have to go thru the TA. No trip
insurance at this point, given minimal deposit.

Issue: DD and SIL now can’t make the trip. So, our thoughts are to move DS into the OV Balcony and
allow his friend to come with him. But, that will change our 1A to only have 2 guests. I think 1A has a
minimum guest number over 2 for a booking this far out.

Questions:
1) Will they automatically kick us out of the 1A cabin? Where will they move us to; just another OV
Balcony? Will the price adjust or will it stay at the 1D rate? Ending with 2 cabins in 2D is fine.
2) Can we just cancel under the new CWC rules, get FCC and rebook? Will that be at the $100
deposit or will it be at the normal deposit amount? If they won’t lower the cabin rate, might be
way ahead to do this to get rid of 5 guests and move to 4 guests in CP view balcony cabins or
could keep OV balcony cabins. Prefer to not double the amount I have on deposit but will if it
makes more sense.
3) Other option I’m not thinking about?

Appreciate constructive thoughts and suggestions

You might want to reformat this post.  🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:
Background: Did an on-board booking.....

You are now covered under CWC so you can cancel nd get an FCC.  The problem is that it will be issue for $100 on each guests name even your DD and SIL.

You can't change both names on the guests in the 2D as one original name must remain on the reservation.

If your 1A drops to 2 guests you will be moved to a 2D or other category that holds 2 at prevailing rates

Edited by Ourusualbeach

My DW is the first name on the 2D cabin actually with my DS.  DD and SIL is in the 1A with me as first name.  Guess specificity is important here. 

So, I change the name of one person in my 1A to by son's friend, then cancel everyone, get a FCC for all 5, knowing one of them may not be used.  I'm ok with that.

Then, will the new booking only require $100 deposit or will it be prevailing (likely $250).  Do you know?

So,  are you saying neither of the initially booked occupants of the second cabin will be able to sail that date?  If so, wouldn’t the CWC program allow DD and SIL to change their reservation to a new ship and/or date that fits their schedule?  Meanwhile, the cabin for three can sail as planned (or also reschedule if desired)

7 minutes ago, shellunderwater said:

My DW is the first name on the 2D cabin actually with my DS.  DD and SIL is in the 1A with me as first name.  Guess specificity is important here. 

So, I change the name of one person in my 1A to by son's friend, then cancel everyone, get a FCC for all 5, knowing one of them may not be used.  I'm ok with that.

Then, will the new booking only require $100 deposit or will it be prevailing (likely $250).  Do you know?

The new booking will require a deposit of $250 per person.

I have seen it in the past where they issue the FCC's based on the initial names on the reservation.  It took a of of calls to get them to change the FCC.

How old is DD.. If you are going to change a name then change your SIL's name.  There is a chance you could get your DD's FCC notated so that you can use this.  They state that it is for 12 and under but they may make exceptions for under 21 as under 21 cannot sail by themselves.