1 Time Internet Access on the Magic

We have never needed or wanted internet while on our cruises.  However, next week on the Magic I find myself needing to check my email one day to complete an onboarding process for a new job that starts the Monday after we return.  Couple of questions.  Can I purchase internet access for 1 day only?  If I do not want to bring a laptop, is there a computer with internet access that I can rent/use for a few minutes?  I'd rather not purchase internet for the whole week or even bring a laptop at all.  I am not sure what my options are.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  

Matt & Aubry

Yes, you can purchase for one day.  Each day is a 24 hour period.  I know there are a couple of computers by the internet cafe.  If those are not available, go the library and ask someone who has a laptop if you can borrow it for ten minutes to check your email.  Have them pull up your email provider page.  I did that last cruise for a lady who needed to check her email.   Most other cruisers are happy to help.  

It was a long time ago but I once used internet and it was a 75 cents a minute charge payable at Guest Services.   It was $7.50 for what I needed.  Only needed it once and never used it again .  Don't know if that even exists anymore.

12 hours ago, sgttami said:

It was a long time ago but I once used internet and it was a 75 cents a minute charge payable at Guest Services.   It was $7.50 for what I needed.  Only needed it once and never used it again .  Don't know if that even exists anymore.

Nope.  It's only by the day now.

@MinnesotaCruiser423, You will likely need to purchase the highest level internet to achieve what you want to.  All ships have a few computers available for use.  You can simply log on, use your folio number to purchase 1 day of internet usage, and go ahead with your onboarding.  Congratulations on the new job!

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Nope.  It's only by the day now.

@MinnesotaCruiser423, You will likely need to purchase the highest level internet to achieve what you want to.  All ships have a few computers available for use.  You can simply log on, use your folio number to purchase 1 day of internet usage, and go ahead with your onboarding.  Congratulations on the new job!

No. To check email, the mid level of internet will do. Also, the internet will work on smart phones and tablets. A laptop is not required.  

2 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

No. To check email, the mid level of internet will do. Also, the internet will work on smart phones and tablets. A laptop is not required.  

I did say "likely."  OP is not just checking email.  They are performing onboarding tasks, which will likely require them to log onto the employer's HRIS and view videos and complete online forms.  EDIT:  Oops, I re-read the original post and they do say "check email."  I would still assume that they would be required to perform additional tasks for onboarding.

Edited by Schoifmom

17 hours ago, MinnesotaCruiser423 said:

We have never needed or wanted internet while on our cruises.  However, next week on the Magic I find myself needing to check my email one day to complete an onboarding process for a new job that starts the Monday after we return.  Couple of questions.  Can I purchase internet access for 1 day only?  If I do not want to bring a laptop, is there a computer with internet access that I can rent/use for a few minutes?  I'd rather not purchase internet for the whole week or even bring a laptop at all.  I am not sure what my options are.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  

Matt & Aubry

As others have mentioned, you should be able to use ships computers and just pay for one day.

If it was me, I would also make clear with my new employer of the situation-that is that you 1000% intend to do the on boarding tasks, but will be on a cruise which may prevent this.

Also, maybe ask if you can do these tasks before you leave?

We check our email on our phones every day, we use the middle tier internet.  If you're using the email to click a link and complete the onboarding process, you might want to purchase one day of the high tier internet just to be safe.  At the company where I work, onboarding includes watching several videos on company policies on harassment, leave, benefits, etc.

@MinnesotaCruiser423

The very 1st reply to your question, the answer below, is the easiest & most helpful.

18 hours ago, obnancy said:

Yes, you can purchase for one day.  Each day is a 24 hour period.  I know there are a couple of computers by the internet cafe.  If those are not available, go the library and ask someone who has a laptop if you can borrow it for ten minutes to check your email.  Have them pull up your email provider page.  I did that last cruise for a lady who needed to check her email.   Most other cruisers are happy to help.