Tips on how to AVOID getting covid on a cruise ship and what to do if you do have it

mellon1

I am starting this only because I trust all of you more than I do the advice we have been getting.

So, what are you doing and what works for you, especially those doing B2B2Bs, etc. etc.

I will start.  We have booked 40 days in 2023 Jan/Feb.  OK, I am going to bring a BUG OUT BAG.  Yep, you heard it right!  Who who have ever thought, me at 58 years old would need a bug out bag on a cruise ship?  Well it is for my husband and all his meds, etc.  So this is something we are going to do.  I will take that on turnaround days in case we are not allowed back on to pack.  

We will be keeping to ourselves...think of it as a honeymoon...oh just us.

No we will not be dining or wanting to sit next to anyone or going to happy hour at the Concierge Lounge.

Yes, we will get a drink before we retire and sit on our balcony and watch the stars...by the way the best show EVER.  If you haven't done that before, I would say do it!

I could add a lot more, but I am interested in what all you cruisers, more seasoned than us are and will do.  We have to cruise again.  I am tired of being stuck and nothing to look forward to.  No making the bed, no doing the wash, no cooking or doing dishes...oh how lovely that sounds! 

What about you?  What's your story?

• Like 3

We just do the same things we always have to avoid Noro etc. Wash hands, avoid people when we can, dont touch stairwell railings, elevator buttons etc.  Add a mask in indoor areas or crowds and I am comfortable.

I do need a new method for the elevator though. I used to use the corner of my  cruise card.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pathi said:

We just do the same things we always have to avoid Noro etc. Wash hands, avoid people when we can, dont touch stairwell railings, elevator buttons etc.  Add a mask in indoor areas or crowds and I am comfortable.

I do need a new method for the elevator though. I used to use the corner of my  cruise card.

Same 

wash hands, keep a distance, table for 2, stay away from crowds, follow restrictions in place 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pathi said:

Knuckles work well.

A friend of ours who has been on board the Caribbean since August told us, "Just wear the mask, and you'll be fine." (She was specifically referring to KN95 masks or better. The ship will have some in your cabin when you first arrive.)

As for other steps to stay healthy, we bring wipes and wipe down  everything in the room.....handles, switches, remotes, etc.

Since Florida is a Covid hotspot, we lessened our exposure time there by flying in late the day of the cruise, and getting an early flight out at the end of the cruise.

We reached the cruise terminal around 2pm and we were the only passengers checking in.

No lines, no crowds.

For disembarkation, we did the early walk-off and were on a half-empty plane two hours later.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pathi said:

I did see a thing at Walmart which you put around your finger and it touched the card.

27 minutes ago, dog said:

Same 

wash hands, keep a distance, table for 2, stay away from crowds, follow restrictions in place 

But it seems the table for TWO are sooooo close together, better to get a table for 4!  Don't you think with all the covid they would do more tables for 2 with a distance.  Wow, almost sounds like a song!

Just now, mellon1 said:

I did see a thing at Walmart which you put around your finger and it touched the card.

I bought something similar to this, opens a door handle, touch elevator button, etc

https://www.amazon.com/Lasten-Non-Contact-Portable-Keychain-Reusable/dp/B0895SMZWH/ref=asc_df_B0895SMZWH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459549480227&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11551711215141766117&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015452&hvtargid=pla-944686960513&psc=1

Just on my keychain.

51 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I am starting this only because I trust all of you more than I do the advice we have been getting.

So, what are you doing and what works for you, especially those doing B2B2Bs, etc. etc.

I will start.  We have booked 40 days in 2023 Jan/Feb.  OK, I am going to bring a BUG OUT BAG.  Yep, you heard it right!  Who who have ever thought, me at 58 years old would need a bug out bag on a cruise ship?  Well it is for my husband and all his meds, etc.  So this is something we are going to do.  I will take that on turnaround days in case we are not allowed back on to pack.  

We will be keeping to ourselves...think of it as a honeymoon...oh just us.

No we will not be dining or wanting to sit next to anyone or going to happy hour at the Concierge Lounge.

Yes, we will get a drink before we retire and sit on our balcony and watch the stars...by the way the best show EVER.  If you haven't done that before, I would say do it!

I could add a lot more, but I am interested in what all you cruisers, more seasoned than us are and will do.  We have to cruise again.  I am tired of being stuck and nothing to look forward to.  No making the bed, no doing the wash, no cooking or doing dishes...oh how lovely that sounds! 

What about you?  What's your story?

What a great idea!  Hope to learn a lot.

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Knuckles work well.

A friend of ours who has been on board the Caribbean since August told us, "Just wear the mask, and you'll be fine." (She was specifically referring to KN95 masks or better. The ship will have some in your cabin when you first arrive.)

As for other steps to stay healthy, we bring wipes and wipe down  everything in the room.....handles, switches, remotes, etc.

Since Florida is a Covid hotspot, we lessened our exposure time there by flying in late the day of the cruise, and getting an early flight out at the end of the cruise.

We reached the cruise terminal around 2pm and we were the only passengers checking in.

No lines, no crowds.

For disembarkation, we did the early walk-off and were on a half-empty plane two hours later.

OK, good to know.  DH can't breathe well with the KN95 because of neck cancer, but I guess he will have to do that enroute to the dining room.  We have all these years kept to ourself; however, we did walk through areas.  I told him he will have to suck it up buttercup from one spot to the next.  We totally enjoy fixed dining with the same staff and don't want to give that up.  Anyone else feel that way?  It is so nice that they know what you like and have it ready...especially with my high allergies to shellfish.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Knuckles work well.

No lines, no crowds.

OKAY!!!  YEAHHH.  I am not the only one that cleans the room and wipes everything down!  My nieces tell me I don't need to do that, but when we were 30 and THRIVING mind you, I did not do that; however, things change as you get older.  Noticed when I was doing the cleaning, my husband, who is 7 years older than me, did not get sick.  Sooooo...first day....I have my glam gloves on...you go girl!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, dog said:

Same 

Love it!  Sounds like us.  People tell us we are out there for doing that.  I am sooooo glad there are others doing the same thing.  I don't feel alone.

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What a great idea!  Hope to learn a lot.

Thank you.

OK, PacnGoNow, you are all ready!  Just changing times.  I am hoping to learn from cruisers who cruise months at a time and they avoid all the sickness.  What are they doing.  We all need to know what that is.  More people are older, and I say older, I mean 50-75+ YOUNG and staying safe.  WHAT IS THE SECRET....WE ALL WANT TO KNOW!  PLEASE SHARE

Edited by mellon1
ADD

Just now, mellon1 said:

Love it!  Sounds like us.  People tell us we are out there for doing that.  I am sooooo glad there are others doing the same thing.  I don't feel alone.

You are NOT alone!  We wipe down our hotel room and cruise cabin.  I pack a package of wipes and gloves to wipe. Don’t forget the airplane armrests and tray table.  In the cabin, don’t forget patio chair armrests and table.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

OK, PacnGoNow, you are all ready!  Just changing times.  I am hoping to learn from cruisers who cruise months at a time and they avoid all the sickness.  What are they doing.  We all need to know what that is.  More people are older, and I say older, I mean 50-75+ YOUNG and staying safe.  WHAT IS THE SECRET....WE ALL WANT TO KNOW!  PLEASE SHARE

I will let you know when we return. We are doing five  b2b’s.   Hopefully!!!

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

You are NOT alone!  We wipe down our hotel room and cruise cabin.  I pack a package of wipes and gloves to wipe. Don’t forget the airplane armrests and tray table.  In the cabin, don’t forget patio chair armrests and table.

Oh my.   You could clean our cabin.  I tell DH, before you sit on the balcony, I need to wipe EVERYTHING DOWN!!! and that was pre covid!!  LOL.  Then he relaxes out there and I am MRS. CLEAN--only I have hair!!!  LOL

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Add the tv remote to the list - that thing rarely gets cleaned.

• Like 1

Just now, mellon1 said:

GOOD FOR YOU!   What ship and when???  I am so excited for you.  

We do bring a plug in ionizer for the bathroom and one for the sitting area.  Kills, 99.9% of germs

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Feb CB.

We were on that and we switched to Enchanted as we were aft and the smoking crew were back there so we changed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, venussuz said:

Add the tv remote to the list - that thing rarely gets cleaned.

OOOO yeah.  My sister said who her son has cystic fibrosis puts it in a bag in the hotel when he is in Cleveland hotel IMMEDIATELY!  Good one!

22 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Caribbean P Jan 9 to Mar 13 live review/updates

Yes, watching CC A LOT to get any info I can.  Just thought this would be a HUB for tips from all of you who know so much.  I will be honest, I learned a lot from you guys and am so grateful for this site AND THE PEOPLE WHO CARE ENOUGH TO POST.

Edited by mellon1
added
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mellon1 said:

OOOO yeah.  My sister said who her son has cystic fibrosis puts it in a bag in the hotel when he is in Cleveland hotel IMMEDIATELY!  Good one!

Yes, we put it in a baggie too. The other nasty item…the phone in the room or cabin.