Booked in a suite on the Dawn in late March, what can we expect?

Lottosal65

Hi all, we used FCC to book a much better cabin than usual, for our Caribbean cruise in late March on the Dawn (aft penthouse w/large balcony, spouse loves to watch where we've been...😀). I've done some reading, and see that a butler and concierge staff those rooms. Not ever having had these services before, I'm wondering what is reasonable to request? Are there other perks of which we're unaware? We're really pretty clueless about how this all works... 😮

On 1/20/2022 at 1:33 PM, Lottosal65 said:

Hi all, we used FCC to book a much better cabin than usual, for our Caribbean cruise in late March on the Dawn (aft penthouse w/large balcony, spouse loves to watch where we've been...😀). I've done some reading, and see that a butler and concierge staff those rooms. Not ever having had these services before, I'm wondering what is reasonable to request? Are there other perks of which we're unaware? We're really pretty clueless about how this all works... 😮

Bumping in hope someone will chime in? This is by far the nicest cabin we've ever had, and don't want to embarrass ourselves or the staff... 😬

• Haha 1

you get to eat breakfast and lunch in cagneys or moderno, with special menus, priority embarkation/disembarkation, the concierge can/will assist you with dinner, show reservations, and shore excursions, the butler will accomodate almost any reasonable request. i have him/her bring a pot of coffee, hot water for tea and sweet rolls/croissants to the cabin every morning, meats, cheeseds and crackers in the afternoon, any goodies you might want, cookies, mm's gummies, 

sometimes i ask for a cold beer. just about anything within reason

• Like 1

You can also have dinner (Specialty with service charge) served right in your stateroom.

Alcoholic beverages not included - but maybe with a service charge - otherwise normal

room service is free.

In general - your Butler takes care of meals treats beverages in cabin and everything outside

and in a way is an assistant Concierge

Your cabin attendant takes care of the cabin inside beds linen towels cleaning upkeep etc.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mafig said:

What's the difference in balcony  size between the Aft Large Balcony Penthouse and the Aft Penthouse balconies.  ???    

Deck 10 balconies are a few feet deeper, so the loungers can be positioned perpendicular to the railing rather than at an angle.  

• Like 1

suites in general are larger. Usually the butler and steward work as a team to insure that the guests have their every needs attended to. Butlers handle snacks and food issues as well as the coffee machine, the steward handles the rest. We have found that you can make a request of either one. One thing we have learned is that if you want room service call the butler and work through them - do not call the room service number directly - they just pass it on to the butler to deliver, the butler wants to be in the loop from the beginning. 

On the Dawn as well as the Jewel class ships, you will be able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's/Modernero. In the morning they have a great buffet along with a fixed hot menu. The concierge will also set up shop in the bar area we found that this was the best time to get any of our issues/questions solved. 

If they have one, I suggest that you attend the suites reception party as an alternate way to meet some of the officers. A couple of things to remember is that there are several layers of management - some are parallel paths to the GM (former Hotel Manager). The room stewards report through the head of housekeeping while the butler reports to the concierge to the GM and yes the housekeeping mgr reports to the GM.

Butlers and the concierge do not receive the benefits of the DSC so you need to tip them above and beyond. I tend to tip based on cruise length and how much they do for us above and beyond their expected duties. For example serving meals and special snack and beverage requests. We tend to order breakfast in at least once on a cruise. It is the easiest meal to have delivered as it is one course so they drop and go. Dinner is multi course and is served that way even in your suite. 

One thing to note, once you have had the suite experience it is hard to go back.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Lottosal65 said:

Bumping in hope someone will chime in? This is by far the nicest cabin we've ever had, and don't want to embarrass ourselves or the staff... 😬

just expect a good time, it's not rocket science

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mafig said:

Thanks.  Are the suites, themselves, larger?

What I meant by this question is are the suite interiors on the Aft Large Balcony Penthouses larger than the Aft Balcony Penthouse.  I know the balconies themselves are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mafig said:

What I meant by this question is are the suite interiors on the Aft Large Balcony Penthouses larger than the Aft Balcony Penthouse.  I know the balconies themselves are.

Square footage - expect that a suite will be at a minimum a cabin and a half -

Balcony cabin 

General specs for NCL DAWN

for comparison 

Inside
Cabin: 141 sqft (13 m2)

Oceanview
Cabin: 161 sqft (15 m2)

Balcony
Cabin: 166 sqft (16 m2)
Balcony: 37 sqft (3 m2)

Club Suite
Cabin: 229 sqft (22 m2)
Balcony: 54 sqft (5 m2)

Family Suite
Cabin: 283 sqft (27 m2)
Balcony: 0 sqft (0 m2)

Penthouse
Cabin: 314 sqft (30 m2)
Balcony: 134 sqft (13 m2)

Family Suite w/Balcony
Cabin: 344 sqft (32 m2)
Balcony: 65 sqft (6 m2)

2BR Family Suite
Cabin: 533 sqft (50 m2)
Balcony: 54 sqft (5 m2)

Owners Suite
Cabin: 571 sqft (54 m2)
Balcony: 150 sqft (14 m2)

Deluxe Owners Suite
Cabin: 667 sqft (63 m2)
Balcony: 0 sqft (0 m2)

GARDEN VILLA
Cabin: 2286 sqft (215 m2)
Balcony: 3612 sqft (339 m2)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Dawn is similar to the Jewel class ships in that the suits on deck 10 have larger balconies than those on decks 8 and 9, but the cabin size is the same. NCL has also put the deck 10 suites in a different catagory and are charging more $$ for the better view.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We were in the Haven on the Pearl a few years ago.  We are also looking at a suite on the Dawn now.  The Pearl didn't have a Haven lounge or restaurant, but I'm wondering if Dawn has a private pool and sun deck area?

I don't see the use of Cagneys/Moderno on anything on the web site for the Dawn. I'd like to be sure of amenities before committing.  

Dawn doesn't have a haven with retractable roof and private pool or the Haven adult only second deck with the way cool day beds.  I'd book a deck 10 aft penthouse for Dawn - you still have butler and concierge and the special bkfst and lunch restaurant.  There are some nice, pretty complete videos on youtube that cover those deck 10 aft penthouses.

• Like 2

Thanks @meglet.  That is helpful. This is very last minute and I've read on the MSC board that most ships are very low capacity, so it wouldn't be super crowded.  However, I'm not sure about NCL and it is over spring breaks, so worried about capacity.

The Dawn is a great ship and suites are the perfect choice on the older ships without a true Haven. You will experience all the Haven perks without paying the higher Haven price. I love this category. Since its a smaller ship, you will get more personalized service from your butler and concierge. Breakfast and lunch with an upgraded menu at Moderno. Dinner is in the MDR however you will be seated by the window or get one of the best seats there.  Also you get to set in the reserved section of the theater.

The only drawback was lack of a private Haven pool so I booked the spa with pool spa and heated loungers - and found it to be a wonderful compromise.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lisakct said:

I have a question - is there an adult only area on the Dawn?

About as close to it as you are going to get -

Deck 13 (Sun deck) forward 

While not signed or restricted (and certainly NOT clothing optional) it is not an area

that offers minors anything of interest - a stacked balcony area with small hot tub -

drafty area with glass shields - tacking into a brisk wind can be chilling - around the

corner and up a flight of stairs (deck 14) is the Bimini Bar & Grill.

Forward from the Bar (Forecastle deck 14) is a walkway - just a walkway not a

lounging area.

Deck 14 (Sun deck {Heli-pad}) aft

While not signed or restricted (and certainly NOT clothing optional) 

But it does look down on deck 12 the childrens pool play area

Two passageways port & starboard access to the sports courts

For all intensive purposes unless in one of the two Garden Villas there really is no

adult only areas - suitable for what adults do !

For further reference LINK:

Norwegian Dawn Deck-Drag (cruisedeckplans.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 5:36 PM, bonvoyagie said:

The Dawn is similar to the Jewel class ships in that the suits on deck 10 have larger balconies than those on decks 8 and 9, but the cabin size is the same. NCL has also put the deck 10 suites in a different catagory and are charging more $$ for the better view.

Good to know, we're on Deck 10. 🙂👍