Mariner Society Events on Board

eurojockboy

Dear Fellow Mariners

Could anyone who cruised in the past months of our "new normal" please give an update on which Mariner Events still happen on board our beloved DAM-ships? I hear the Embarkation Lunch has been suspended? What about the cocktail on the first afternoon? Or the Mariners Reception Party with Medallion ceremony and the Luncheon? Do those still happen? 

Thank you and Greetings from Vienna Austria 🇦🇹

• Like 1

We’re sailing on Rotterdam now, and although we did not attend there was a welcome lunch for Mariners in the MDR at noon yesterday (embarkation day.) No other invitations yet, and if I’m calculating correctly I should be getting my very first medallion on this sailing, so we will see! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've been on two cruises since the unpleasantness.....

On our Rotterdam trans Atlantic in October, we attended the Mariner lunch during the cruise (not on embarkation day but during the cruise)...the champagne flowed.  It was nice....just like before but lunch instead of brunch.  We also received coupons for a complimentary "Mariner Cocktail" and we enjoyed that as well.

On our short 5 day NA cruise in December, there were no Mariner events but we got our complimentary "Mariner Cocktail" coupon.....That was a family cruise and the son confiscated all the coupons shortly upon boarding. 

Get out there....it's the best time to cruise.....(low capacity, attentive staff, great prices)....Just tolerate/play along with the "mask theatre" and "covid testing drama" and you are fine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bhwestgrove said:

I should be getting my very first medallion on this sailing, so we will see! 

Congrats!

My medal trumps any award I ever got at work!  Most impressive accomplishment, IMO!

We got our first "medals" on our Rotterdam cruise in October.  

The room stewards delivered them.  They were really into it.  They got it confused and thought it meant "you are 4 star Mariners"......That was not true(we wish) but we appreciated how they knew it was important.  Getting them from the rooms stewards (who are fantastic) was more meaningful for us than a ceremony with the Captain!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Earlier this month on the Rotterdam there was no luncheon but our tiles were delivered to our cabin. There WAS the embarkation day lunch in the MDR which I guess is supposed to be for Mariners but it seems like anyone can attend. We also got the Mariner Cocktail coupons in the cabin and could use at any bar on board. 

Edited by Bostonjetset
  • Like 1

As others have said, the Mariner perks are varied.  We cruised in August and December - in August we got Mariner drink coupons, in December we didn't.  On the Nieuw Amsterdam in August, we didn't get tiles (I found out later that they had run out and would mail them to us later.)  In December on Rotterdam, the tiles were delivered to our room.  The Mariner lunch was listed in the Main Dining Room on embarkation day, but we weren't on board yet to check it out.  We'd actually rather have lunch at the Dive-In anyway :).  We did attend the afternoon cocktail parties on both cruises, but in August it was 5* only and in December it was 4* and 5*.  Not a Mariner perk, but we attended the Captain's Toast in December and were given a coupon for a glass of bubbly.  The funniest thing was that when he made his toast, he told us all to hold up our coupons as thought we actually had a glass.  Pretty cute!

• Like 1

We are disembarking the Eurodam today.

MDR was open for lunch on Embarkation.
There was no reception for 4-5 star mariners this cruise though we had one in July.
There was a small gathering for those getting medals but only those guests were involved

We had coupons for mariner drinks in lieu of a reception and lunch that were left in our cabin
The captains toast had the staff toasting and giving passengers coupons for a free sparkling wine later.  (BTW they are not selling beverages in the Main stage though you aren't prohibited from bringing them in.  They are trying to increase mask wearing there.)

We had a note that deft tiles would be shipped to our home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick update-my medallion was left on my bed in my stateroom today, so I’m guessing no gathering for awards on Rotterdam, at least for the current sailing. We also received the Mariner cocktail coupons, but since we’re on a beverage package didn’t plan on using them. Should we reconsider? 

23 hours ago, jhsocal said:

Did all mariners receive the cocktail coupons, or was it limited to certain levels?

DH and I are two star and we both got them. Then someone random by the pool gave us an extra one because he must’ve had the beverage package.  Neither of us are big drinkers but it was a nice treat since it was free.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bhwestgrove said:

We also received the Mariner cocktail coupons, but since we’re on a beverage package didn’t plan on using them. Should we reconsider? 

If you get the Mariner Cocktail it is a special recipe. I forget now what's in it, but it was tasty. We did have SBP. Non-alcoholic beverage was available for those not imbibing alcohol, but I think that was just a regular soft drink.

On my Nieuw Amsterdam sailing in August there was an event for 4 & 5 star mariners (which I was not invited to as I am not quite there yet). On the Koningsdam in March there was nothing. On both cruises I got the Dam drink coupons.