Advice on men's shoes for the evening

DC225

Hello, all.  My partner and I are about a month away from our first cruise.  As I wear a suit and tie every day to work, I love that Oceania has a "country club casual" dress code.  Where I need some advice is for evening footwear since at a country club one would likely be apt to wear golf shoes and the dress code only says "no athletic shoes."  

Do most men wear leather dress shoes, loafers, or more casual boat shoes/Sperry's?  What about "dressy sneakers" like the ones Allen Edmonds or Cole Haan make that have nice leather uppers but athletic soles?  We just want to make sure we pack the appropriate items.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

I always pack dress shoes or  loafers for nighttime wear, anything casual and comfortable for walking/touring during the day. We try to dress appropriately for CC Casual with slacks, collared shirts, sweaters, etc.depending on the restaurants, especially the Specialties. You will always find the limits pushed however.  Ladies always know how to dress well so no comments there. The suits and ties are left home but you will see some men in sport coats but all are personal decisions and of course dictates by one’s spouse/partner. 
Enjoy Your Oceania cruise #1. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On Oceania all of the above are more than acceptable. The only thing frowned upon are open toes flip flops (although I’ve seen a few being worn). And yes, I wear nice black sneakers at times because they look nice and are comfortable. Oceania passengers tend to dress nicely but not in suits. I do bring along one sport coat mostly for the specialty restaurants, but I am often in the minority. Comfortable and clean are the what I strive for. And if Jason is your cruise director he brings a wardrobe chest of shoes to the ship of every style…it is his thing.

• Like 2

Having belonged to several different country clubs during my relocation around the US, I have never seen golf shoes allowed in the main dining room of any club house. In the 19th Hole, Pub, snack bar,  or whatever it’s locally called, yes but not in the formal or main dining room. Aboard ship, that’ casual dining is called Waves or the Terrace where such casual attire is allowed.

Sperry boats shoes are fine. I never wear sneakers or open toe sandals to the GDR at dinner or to the Specialties. I pack a pair of versatile dress shoes for those occasions.

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Having belonged to several different country clubs during my relocation around the US, I have never seen golf shoes allowed in the main dining room of any club house. In the 19th Hole, Pub, snack bar,  or whatever it’s locally called, yes but not in the formal or main dining room. Aboard ship, that’ casual dining is called Waves or the Terrace where such casual attire is allowed.

Sperry boats shoes are fine. I never wear sneakers or open toe sandals to the GDR at dinner or to the Specialties. I pack a pair of versatile dress shoes for those occasions.

As one who is not a habitué of the country club world, I certainly defer to your experience.

We are not ones who desire to "push the envelope" so we appreciate the advice.  Thank you, all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiFi43 said:

And if Jason is your cruise director he brings a wardrobe chest of shoes to the ship of every style…it is his thing.

I think on the last cruise with Peter  the count was 76 prs of shoes

I think he has a separate cabin for his wardrobe

DH  takes a pr of Birkenstock slip on  dress shoes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

My wife fretted the open toe sandals in the Specialties. For the first 15 minutes it might have even impacted how she enjoyed the night. 

But I have to say I don't think I saw a lady without them - albeit with wonderful sun dresses and relaxed evening wear. And as you can see, she relaxed immediately. 

I found for myself a single pair of tasseled loafers went fine with everything in the evening, the entire cruise.

IMG_0678.jpg

Edited by AlexCherie
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, DC225 said:

Hello, all.  My partner and I are about a month away from our first cruise.  As I wear a suit and tie every day to work, I love that Oceania has a "country club casual" dress code.  Where I need some advice is for evening footwear since at a country club one would likely be apt to wear golf shoes and the dress code only says "no athletic shoes."  

Do most men wear leather dress shoes, loafers, or more casual boat shoes/Sperry's?  What about "dressy sneakers" like the ones Allen Edmonds or Cole Haan make that have nice leather uppers but athletic soles?  We just want to make sure we pack the appropriate items.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rockport....    same shoe for shore and ship....lace up  wingtip style.... super comfy on cobble stones and  wet decks........  You might check out Shoes for Crews...      Shoes for folks in the culinary trade...  They have some super comfy  stylish  but rugged   waterproof non slip   ...  Waiters to chefs wear them  and best of all they are cheaper  you think ....     I wear a pair... one pair works for  about everything.    

ut

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 3

Your cruise, your shoes.  Wear whatever you find comfortable.  Many wear :Boat shoes, loafers, sandals, flats, etc.  rubber soled shoes are a good idea.   if you worry about dress shoes, wing tips, golf, etc., you are overthinking. Just relax.