Aft or Side Facing Cabin - Enchantment Junior Suite

lgazz

Looking at booking a Jr Suite on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment for April 2023 full transit.  Aft-facing and side-facing available.  Normally, I would go for aft, but curious on your opinion whether side-facing will offer better views.

We did the partial transit about 10 years ago with a port-facing balcony.  I know that we will likely be walking about deck for the best views while in the locks.

Any thoughts are appreciated!  Thank you!

The only negative comment I have about an aft facing balcony has to with the commentary provided during the transit.  Normally the commentary is given with a forward perspective, a result when it comes into the view of the aft balcony there may have been several other points of interest addressed by the commentator.  However, the aft does provide a great view.

While you mentioned you had a port side balcony some years back, you will be using the new locks which will provide a slightly different view for a portion of the transit.  Whether you choose port or starboard side depends IMO which direction you are transiting.

I would recommend the aft facing....with a major adjustment. Absolutely DO NOT plan on spending a ton of time there during the Canal transit. There is far to much to see from all over the ship. From the bow in locks. From the Promenade deck while in a lock. From all over the ship during the transit. Commonly discussed here.

Ummm...Enchantment @ 83000 tons is small enough to use the original locks.  But I agree with BillB48...that you will want to be out and about for the transit, so book your cabin location with the rest of the itinerary in mind.  EM

11 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Ummm...Enchantment @ 83000 tons is small enough to use the original locks.

EM, she was lengthened a number of years ago.  That class of Royal's ships the Vision class were originally around 915', the Enchantment was stretched to 990'.  Max length for Panamax Locks 965'.  A few years ago the Disney Wonder made a northbound transit of the Canal using the Panamax Locks, she went into the yard and had a duck tail added to the stern increasing her length to 984'.  On her next southbound transit she became the first passenger ship to use the new locks.

Edited by BillB48

Thanks for your feedback!  I have one more question...Some have commented that they are only interested in sailing through the original locks.  As pointed out previously, Enchantment is expected to use the new locks.  What is the attraction of the "original" locks?

Our partial transit was in 2008.  So, there were no options...We learned about the locks and were told that "someday" the expansion would be complete.  (I was surprised it was that long ago, but I vividly remember monitoring the stock market plunge at the start of the "Great Recession" while onboard :-o)

Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, lgazz said:

Thanks for your feedback!  I have one more question...Some have commented that they are only interested in sailing through the original locks.  As pointed out previously, Enchantment is expected to use the new locks.  What is the attraction of the "original" locks?

Our partial transit was in 2008.  So, there were no options...We learned about the locks and were told that "someday" the expansion would be complete.  (I was surprised it was that long ago, but I vividly remember monitoring the stock market plunge at the start of the "Great Recession" while onboard :-o)

Thanks again!

Here is some previous discussion...  For me, the use of the mules and the parallel flight locks would be the main draw to the original locks.

1 hour ago, lgazz said:

What is the attraction of the "original" locks?

Thanks to d9704.... for posting that comparison!  In short I think the original locks are favored because there is so much more to attract you in a visual sense.  The act of putting a rather large ship into the lock chamber is really something see with all that steel just literally inches away from all that concrete.  Being on one of the lower decks for part of the passage through the locks can give an up close view of just how little room there is to play with.  Seeing a ship in the opposite lane and watching the mules is also interesting.  All those sites couple with the fact the locks have been in operation over a 100 years makes it unique in many ways.

None of the above is meant to say that the new locks are not an achievement in their own right.  It only means there are fewer things to attract your attention and in general the pace of passing through the new locks is a bit slower.

Hopefully on your next transit the day's news won't be a distraction with stock market crashes, wars and pandemics!

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, lgazz said:

Looking at booking a Jr Suite on Royal Caribbean's Enchantment for April 2023 full transit.  Aft-facing and side-facing available.  Normally, I would go for aft, but curious on your opinion whether side-facing will offer better views.

We did the partial transit about 10 years ago with a port-facing balcony.  I know that we will likely be walking about deck for the best views while in the locks.

Any thoughts are appreciated!  Thank you!

Will be sailing with you April 2023-  have been looking forward to retiring so could take the time. Booked Deck 7 aft balcony.   I will continue on with  Enchantment LA> Vancouver & then on up to Alaska & back to Vancouver-  28 days.

• Like 1