Covid Protocol on Cruise Ship

LewiLewi

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

We are both fully vaxxed so don't worry about covid anymore than pneumonia, tuberculosis, or any of hundreds of other potential diseases but we do not want to tolerate, at considerable expense, masking and daily testing for 4+ months.  Not to mention the poor folks that have been dumped ashore in third world places.  Something out there for everyone so we can find plenty to do with that money till Viking returns to "normal" whatever that turns out to be.  🍸

We are vaxed and boosted and also do not worry about getting sick.  However, we do worry about those who may be immunocompromised or have multiple risk factors and could become very ill from COVID.  Viking's daily testing helps ensure that an ill passenger does not spread it further. 

We cruised in December 2021 and had a food borne illness outbreak (E. Coli).  Passengers who were ill were quarantined in their cabins too.

I totally agree that passengers should be able to quarantine onboard.  That was my greatest fear on the cruise - testing positive and being put ashore in a questionable hotel.

• Like 2

I don't want to cause others harm either but don't those with contingent conditions need to look out for themselves too?  For example, if I were severely allergic to cats would I have the right to demand anyone who has a cat stay away from me and be masked?  Just a thought as there is no reasonable way to really avoid air breathed by others.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

food borne illness outbreak

Just imagine, if some (at least) rudimentary protocols were to remain enforced going forward, how many fewer cases there'd probably be of norovirus on cruises, similar to the decline in flu cases during the past several winters as a result of masking and such. But, once all this blows over - to whatever extent the endemic phase truly turns out to be - it'll probably revert back to loosey goosey at some point. Be interesting to see if some things are forever changed relative to how food is dispensed on ships. 9/11 - great example. Super tight airline security for months afterwards, and then ever so gradually more lax again. Great at least that the TSA is spotting these guns that people are trying to bring in their carry-ons. Really makes me want to stick to car trips!!

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Just a thought as there is no reasonable way to really avoid air breathed by others.

True enough, but wearing a GOOD mask - like an N95 or KN94 - surely offers far better protection than going without. This is not to imply that I like wearing the things of course. I totally get what you're saying though about spending the money and then having to deal with the protocol, and have agreed with you on many posts, hence my not having cruised since Oct. '19. At this point, with numbers declining, I "think" I'm ready to venture back out there. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

True enough, but wearing a GOOD mask - like an N95 or KN94 surely - surely offers far better protection than going without. This is not to imply that I like wearing the things of course. 

I live in a retirement community with a wide range of ages and health levels.  Those with vulnerabilities usually wear the KN95s, but if I wear one too, it increases their protection.  The other plus side to wearing a mask is that I haven't even had a sniffle in the last two years.

• Like 6

I know a large handful of people who have gotten omicron, and all were vaxxed and boosted, which helps against hospitalization and death, but not so much against catching the virus - or getting booted off the ship.

Also, data is accumulating that vaccine and booster protection decline over time. 

We went on a river cruise in Portugal last November, vaxxed and boosted, and felt perfectly safe. Now - not so much.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I haven't even had a sniffle in the last two years.

Absolutely! Can't believe I got through the last 2 years without catching cold. My Mom is 99 and in assisted living. I was so scared of what could happen when the pandemic came along. Thankfully, the staff was wonderful - remaining so vigilant throughout. It was surely tough on her being in lockdown (confined to her room) for several months, but it was for the best. The only thing that disappointed me was that they didn't get the residents boosted before the Christmas holidays. I wasn't too happy about that, especially knowing that many of them would be going to visit family. Interesting how, after I said something about it, within a week after New Years my Mom was on a list to receive the booster - which is, of course, readily available. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, toolworker said:

Now - not so much.

Why...especially given the decline of cases?  Don't get me wrong - I share the uncertainties, especially with an international trip in spring. 

22 minutes ago, toolworker said:

I know a large handful of people who have gotten omicron, and all were vaxxed and boosted

It can certainly happen, but would even moreso without any masking, etc. let alone increased vulnerability of the unvaccinated. I'll stop there since this could lead into a more politically slanted discussion!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Just imagine, if some (at least) rudimentary protocols were to remain enforced going forward, how many fewer cases there'd probably be of norovirus on cruises, similar to the decline in flu cases during the past several winters as a result of masking and such. But, once all this blows over - to whatever extent the endemic phase truly turns out to be - it'll probably revert back to loosey goosey at some point. Be interesting to see if some things are forever changed relative to how food is dispensed on ships. 9/11 - great example. Super tight airline security for months afterwards, and then ever so gradually more lax again. Great at least that the TSA is spotting these guns that people are trying to bring in their carry-ons. Really makes me want to stick to car trips!!

When we sailed on Viking in March 2020 prior to Covid we witnessed several passengers who tried to “fake” wash their hands when entering the restaurants on board.  Seriously?  Most times a crew member busted them but that really shouldn’t be necessary on a ship full of adults.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

Most times a crew member busted them but that really shouldn’t be necessary on a ship full of adults.

LOL  Adults can be worse than kids. I've seen people come out of the restrooms, blow their nose, and straight to the buffet line. 'Nuff said. It's the  "it's MY vacation and I'll do as I please" (to please myself) approach I suppose. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 hours ago, toolworker said:

I know a large handful of people who have gotten omicron, and all were vaxxed and boosted, which helps against hospitalization and death, but not so much against catching the virus - or getting booted off the ship.

Also, data is accumulating that vaccine and booster protection decline over time. 

We went on a river cruise in Portugal last November, vaxxed and boosted, and felt perfectly safe. Now - not so much.

You said my main concern in a nutshell. Omnicron is super easy to get and numbers are super high where we are going (Norway). We've done everything we can to not get it, but our fear of getting kicked off the boat almost made us cancel. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I’m just so relieved that the hysteria is beginning to diminish. There are no guarantees in this world and walking into a grocery store can expose you to an illness. Traveling is in itself taking a risk…we are leaving our own Country and entering a different world…if we live our life being “afraid”…we should not travel…if we have to cover our faces and hide our joy, then there really is no point in traveling at all.  If you are not immunocompromised, you should not have to hide at home or hide behind a mask. As much as I hope never to spread a virus, I cannot accept responsibility for anyone else’s health.  I will wash my hands religiously, I will do everything I can to ensure my own cleanliness, but I will not spend my life “in fear” and I will not spend my life hiding my face.  I’m hoping the “show” masking will end pretty soon…I’m booked for August 2022… I really hope the mask mandates are over. The vaccines are understandable…we are doing our best to reduce the severity of the virus and not overwhelm the hospitals.  For those that do not want to get vaccinated…that is their business…I do understand that they will have to forego travel until Covid is considered just as serious as the seasonal flu…we get flu shots…not a vaccine, just a shot that reduces the severity…I’m just saying…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, BlueWillowSimba said:

You said my main concern in a nutshell. Omnicron is super easy to get and numbers are super high where we are going (Norway). We've done everything we can to not get it, but our fear of getting kicked off the boat almost made us cancel. Fingers crossed!

We're on the same wave length.....we are on for British Isles and I'm also concerned about Norway, and our concern is waving goodbye to the boat as we're being hauled off in a van to who knows where.  We aren't on until July so we aren't making any decisions yet, but we are in communication with our TA regarding these issues.  We have already received major flight changes (booked through Viking Air) that weren't good, which isn't good as our other ones were great. Our TA said that Viking is doing flight changes early and they will continue to change.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:46 PM, aungrl said:

I can't make the link work, but if you find the "Viking Jupiter, December 22, 2021" thread, the situation is described in detail in multiple posts from the couple's daughter.

Are you booked on the British Isles cruise beginning July 1 from Bergen and ending in London on 7/15?

On 2/12/2022 at 6:15 PM, OnTheJourney said:

This is good to know!!! Thanks....

Are you booked on the British Isles cruise? We are on a pre-cruise extension and fly to Oslo for two nights and then by train to Bergen. The Viking site indicates that we will be tested at the hotel when we arrive and then tested at embarkation in July when we will be required to remain in our cabin until our test results are available. I have seen in other threads where some folks waited 8 hours for results.