To get on the ship

Cruisingrampy

5 minutes ago, Cruisingrampy said:

Follow up question haha where does one get a physical copy? Or would i just print off the pic

Go to your provincial medical health site where your vaccination information is stored to download a copy. Then save it and print a copy.

In Ontario go to https://covid-19.ontario.ca/proof-covid-19-vaccination. I don't know the url for other provinces.

Edited by Fouremco

I’ve downloaded a copy to my wallet on my phone which comes with a QR code. Is that not sufficient??? Do we still have to download a paper copy?

thanks

Heimey

Edited by Heimey

One point to note. They may not be reading the QR code. If not they need the other information shown on the form; dates of vaccinations, type of vaccination and lot number. Only the dates show in apple wallet; the other information is either on the printed form or a saved copy of the actual form.

1 minute ago, dolfan1980 said:

I sailed NCL recently and used the vaccination record off my phone no problem.  Really only Americans had vaccine cards, some Canadians had printed their qr code sheets.

Yes, NCL and a number of other lines have started accepting electronic versions but there appears to be no consistency as to what the various lines will accept, other than the original physical documentation. And, while NCL will accept other forms of proof, it still prefers the original document.

Guest must acknowledge vaccination status prior to their sailing and bring proof of vaccination to the terminal for their cruise. Preferred proof form is the original vaccination record document issued by either the country's health authority that administered the vaccination or the guest's medical provider that completed the vaccine administration, however, photo of vaccination record document will also be accepted. Electronic vaccination records will be accepted for residents of countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form.

As I've highlighted, NCL will also accept a photo of the vaccination record document. On the other hand, Celebrity will not:

Are photos or photocopies of the original vaccination card accepted as proof of vaccination?

No, at this time, we are not accepting photos or photocopies of the original vaccination card.

With all of the variations in what might be required by different cruise lines, the one item that has been accepted since the outset by all lines has been the physical record. Consequently, my recommendation remains to take the document with you. I have my record on my iPhone and on my Apple Watch, and use one or the other regularly, as I did yesterday to get into the arena for one of my grandsons' hockey games yesterday, but I would never head off to a cruise without the physical document being included with my passport and other travel documents.

Here's a small, personal anecdote on cruise line acceptance of documents. DW and I were early NEXUS members, and used our cards for the first time for a HAL Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. The check in staff clearly were not used to these cards, but got it all sorted out and wished us a happy cruise. A year later, another HAL cruise, this time embarking in Boston with Montreal as our port of disembarkation. We handed our NEXUS cards to the check in staff, but were told that they weren't acceptable, that we needed our passports. We noted that we had cruised with them the preceding year, and asked that they check with their supervisor. Eventually the supervisor came to the counter and informed us that NEXUS cards were not acceptable and that if we didn't have passports, we would be refused boarding. Rather than pursue the issue, we produced our passports and completed our check in. So, same cruise line, same Canada and US border crossing with no other countries on the cruise,  but different check in staff with different view on what is acceptable documentation. We were very happy that we had our passports to backstop out NEXUS cards, just as we will be happy to have our physical vaccination record to backstop our electronic proof, just in case.

1 hour ago, dolfan1980 said:

Well as Canadians we don't have an "original paper copy" anyways.  Best you can do is print from what you download.

Not quite true. Depending on where you lived and when and where you were vaccinated, an original paper copy was provided at the vaccination centre when exiting. We still have ours. But I agree, the vast majority will download and print the most current version with a QR code.

53 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not quite true. Depending on where you lived and when and where you were vaccinated, an original paper copy was provided at the vaccination centre when exiting. We still have ours. But I agree, the vast majority will download and print the most current version with a QR code.

I only got a bit of paper with my first vaccination; I got nothing except an email with 2 and 3, although all shots were done at the same pharmacy. 

8 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I only got a bit of paper with my first vaccination; I got nothing except an email with 2 and 3, although all shots were done at the same pharmacy. 

Interesting. While I'm not surprised that different locations might approach receipts differently, I would have thought that the pharmacy would have been consistent, either providing or not providing a printed receipt.