Grand Mediterranean Cruise

Cruiz'nBaers

I remember several year ago , HAL offering a Grand Mediterranean cruise round trip from Ft. Lauderdale.  I followed several passengers who posted blogs with pictures from this cruise.  It looked absolutely fabulous, I would be very interested in such an itinerary.  

Edited by Cruiz'nBaers
  • Like 2

We were on a cruise like that. It was 54 days starting in March, 2018 on the Prinsendam about three months before she was sold. It was RT from FLL to the Western Med and N. Africa and was a great trip.

I've seen a couple others on CC express the same wish that HAL would again offer RT TA cruises like they used to have every couple of years, but those days appear to be gone.

David

• Like 1

We took two of those Grand Med cruises on the Prinsendam (62 and 60 days) and loved the voyage...especially all those lazy sea days.  It used to be a round trip voyage from Ft Lauderdale and some of us would joke that they would open up the Florida nursing homes, transfer folks to the ship via ambulance, and then wait for them to return 2 months later.  It was certainly an older crowd (even for HAL) but a fun cruise.  On the 62 day voyage the youngest person on the ship (by over thirty years) was a 27 year old delightful lady (Jennifer) who was traveling with her Grandmother (with whom we became friends).  

The thing about those voyages is that that they were never sold out.  On the 62 day we had around 580 (which did vary by segement) and the 60 day generally had just over 600 (the ship held 800).   With HAL vessels now somewhat larger one might question whether HAL would be able to sell enough space to justify the two Transatlantic segments.  

One interesting tidbit is that the Captain on both of our voyages was Halle Gundersen (now retired).  On the 62 day voyage he vowed (during his welcome aboard speech) to have all the 4 and 5* Mariners to his cabin for cocktails.   That was around 400 souls.  He kept his word by inviting small groups (less than 20) on different nights.  It took nearly the entire voyage but he did keep his word and it was a fun experience.  

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dawei said:

We were on a cruise like that. It was 54 days starting in March, 2018 on the Prinsendam about three months before she was sold. It was RT from FLL to the Western Med and N. Africa and was a great trip.

I've seen a couple others on CC express the same wish that HAL would again offer RT TA cruises like they used to have every couple of years, but those days appear to be gone.

David

We were on the 2018 Grand Med and Africa cruise with you.  It was a great cruise, of course, because the Prinsendam felt like home to us.  Our favorite ship in the HAL line.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We took two of those Grand Med cruises on the Prinsendam (62 and 60 days) and loved the voyage...especially all those lazy sea days.  It used to be a round trip voyage from Ft Lauderdale and some of us would joke that they would open up the Florida nursing homes, transfer folks to the ship via ambulance, and then wait for them to return 2 months later.  It was certainly an older crowd (even for HAL) but a fun cruise.  On the 62 day voyage the youngest person on the ship (by over thirty years) was a 27 year old delightful lady (Jennifer) who was traveling with her Grandmother (with whom we became friends).  

The thing about those voyages is that that they were never sold out.  On the 62 day we had around 580 (which did vary by segement) and the 60 day generally had just over 600 (the ship held 800).   With HAL vessels now somewhat larger one might question whether HAL would be able to sell enough space to justify the two Transatlantic segments.  

One interesting tidbit is that the Captain on both of our voyages was Halle Gundersen (now retired).  On the 62 day voyage he vowed (during his welcome aboard speech) to have all the 4 and 5* Mariners to his cabin for cocktails.   That was around 400 souls.  He kept his word by inviting small groups (less than 20) on different nights.  It took nearly the entire voyage but he did keep his word and it was a fun experience.  

Hank

The Captain’s cabin on the P’dam was quite large and nice.  We were invited there once for drinks and dinner (in the MDR).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I would not give up hope on another grand Med as long as the Volendam is in the picture.  The next few years have multiple grand voyages on the V’dam so they may cycle back around to the Med.

I would be very happy if they do have another Grand Mediterranean.  It’s much more appealing than the Grand South American or Grand Africa cruises, I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of Africa, but, not an entire cruise.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

I would be very happy if they do have another Grand Mediterranean.  It’s much more appealing than the Grand South American or Grand Africa cruises, I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of Africa, but, not an entire cruise.  Fingers crossed.

Like other grand voyages, the Med grand is round trip from a US port which is attractive to many.  Personally we have visited the Med extensively so it is less attractive to us then the grand Australia but that’s why they cycle through locations so everyone gets a bite at the apple.

• Like 1

Unlike Kirk's more extensive cruise experience, our 2018 Grand Med/Africa was our first as well as our first cruise longer than 14 days. So, that combination made it all so special. A personal highlight came when the capt. decided sea conditions were too rough near Monte Carlo for tendering, and he and Seattle changed the itinerary at the last minute, heading us east to Genoa, Italy instead. 

As far as the Grand S. America, that was another surprise. Near the start of that cruise in March, 2020, we met a couple onboard doing the cruise for about the third time, and I didn't know why. Someone here on CC described the S.A. ports as low key, (I agree) but quite interesting. In our case so much so that we've booked it again for next Jan. in hopes it will happen. Guess that means we're up for a second bite of that particular apple, but same goes for another TA Med.

David