Ketchikan Cape Fox Lodge restaurant

CRu1853!!

I have taken this excursion and loved the food. 

A tour bus delivers you to the dock where you will go by boat to the lodge.  A tour through a moss-covered area precedes the crab boil lunch.  Large tables are covered with paper and huge pots of boiled crab, corn, mussels, potatoes, sausage, shrimp, etc are dumped on the paper for consumption by those seated at the table.  The food was plentiful and the chocolate chip cookies made a great ending. 

Here is a link to my photos of what you will experience:  Cape Fox Lodge Feast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRu1853!! said:

I was wondering if any one has eaten lunch at the Cape Fox Lodge and if so how was it and how did you get there from cruise port.

Thanks.

I haven't eaten there - so can't comment

GETTING THERE -

Google Map Link image:

Google Maps

Top center of image the pink marker is Caper Fox Lodge -

3 ways to get there (2 require that the funicular is working)

From the 4 cruise docks take Mill street to the creek crossing and the funicular

Or angle over to Creek street (Dolly's House) the board walk to the funicular

Best have transport to go up the hill Park Avenue to Venetia Avenue

If your cruise ship is NCL you will be a Ward Cove and need to take a shuttle

downtown to the 4 cruise ship docks 

• Like 1

We have had lunch several times through the years at the Cape Fox Lodge.  Their dining room is lovely and the food has consistently been excellent.  Excellent views down to the harbor area.  While folks can walk or take a quick taxi ride, the easiest way to reach the Cape Fox Lodge is to use the funicular which runs from Creek Street directly up to the lodge.  However, we were in Ketchikan twice in September and neither time was the funicular in operation.  Others reported on Cruise Critic that the funicular was not in operation when they were in Ketchikan earlier in the summer.  I asked two different local folks about the funicular status and received two different answers.

The photos posted by @Crew News are not of the Cape Fox Lodge, but instead are photos of the George Inlet Lodge.  Many, if not all, cruise lines offer excursions to the George Inlet Lodge in which folks are picked up in the Ketchikan small boat harbor and are taken the George Inlet Lodge by boat.  I have had the impression a number of times through the years that folks don't realize that the George Inlet Lodge is not on a different island from Ketchikan.  It is about a fifteen to twenty minutes drive from downtown Ketchikan on the Tongass Highway.  We dined there last September and drove to the lodge.  We had their "basic" feast which was a simple salad, and literally all you could eat dungeness crab followed by cheesecake.  I was in "crab heaven."  If you take a taxi just set a time to be picked up for the return to your ship.

But my favorite restaurant in Ketchikan is actually Annabelles.  It is located in the historic Gilmore Hotel and has excellent seafood chowders (three types).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have taken this excursion and loved the food. 

A tour bus delivers you to the dock where you will go by boat to the lodge.  A tour through a moss-covered area precedes the crab boil lunch.  Large tables are covered with paper and huge pots of boiled crab, corn, mussels, potatoes, sausage, shrimp, etc are dumped on the paper for consumption by those seated at the table.  The food was plentiful and the chocolate chip cookies made a great ending. 

Here is a link to my photos of what you will experience:  Cape Fox Lodge Feast

My error.  Photos are from the Alaskan Seafood Feast at the Clover Pass Resort, regularly used by salmon fishermen.  The boat route to the resort passed by the US Sonar Testing facility that periodically hosts US submarines. 

The George Inlet Lodge is located on the other side of Ketchikan:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-feast/P7100016.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crew News said:

My error.  Photos are from the Alaskan Seafood Feast at the Clover Pass Resort, regularly used by salmon fishermen.  The boat route to the resort passed by the US Sonar Testing facility that periodically hosts US submarines. 

The George Inlet Lodge is located on the other side of Ketchikan:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-feast/P7100016.jpg

Ya it would have been difficult if not impossible to go by boat to the Cape Fox - of course

after a few years and Global Warming it may be. 

I could see how the mistake was made as the red gabled roof is similar to the C F Lodge

roof line.

Errors and corrections always accepted avoiding misinformation - - -

What is disappointing with the Alaskan cruises is the short port times - not allowing

more time to take in the local fare of the port calls -OR- more than one excursion plus

eating and shopping before the hussle to be back on board to sail to the next port.

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

My error.  Photos are from the Alaskan Seafood Feast at the Clover Pass Resort, regularly used by salmon fishermen.  .....

And my error also.  I glanced at the thumbnail photos and the first 2 on page 2 looked like the George Inlet Lodge.  The wooden statue is similar to one at George Inlet.

In any event, our OP now has several restaurant recommendations for Ketchikan.

• Like 1

Hoping someone can answer.  We would like to take the funicular (which I have read is wheelchair accessible) and maybe eat at the Lodge.  Hoping the funicular will be open this year.  I couldn't figure out where the creek crossing is on the Google Map posted above.  Is Mill Street or Creek Street better option for a wheelchair user?  

There are three ways to access Creek Street. The one that is closest to the funicular is from the parking lot at the end of Mission Street. If you go up Mill Street on the left side, bear left  from the crosswalk. Creek Street is wheelchair accessible.