"As You Wish" dining vs. traditional dining options

arlsvera

Can someone help me out with the logistical differences between "as you wish" dining vs. traditional dining?  We have always enjoyed traditional dining -- same time, same table, same wait staff.  I have not cruised with Holland America since they implemented the "as you wish dining."

Two questions ...

1) If we had traditional dining, would we be seated at the same table with the same wait staff .. or is that a thing of the past?

2) With as you wish dining, do I need to make a reservation each day?  I know I could just show up and wait in line, but we are a party of six and I think a bit of advanced planning would save some wait time.

Don't know if it varies by ship, but we will be on the Eurodam in May for an Alaskan cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 minutes ago, arlsvera said:

Can someone help me out with the logistical differences between "as you wish" dining vs. traditional dining?  We have always enjoyed traditional dining -- same time, same table, same wait staff.  I have not cruised with Holland America since they implemented the "as you wish dining."

Two questions ...

1) If we had traditional dining, would we be seated at the same table with the same wait staff .. or is that a thing of the past?  YES. JUST LIKE ALWAYS (THE ONLY WAY TO DINE, IMO). 

2) With as you wish dining, do I need to make a reservation each day?  I know I could just show up and wait in line, but we are a party of six and I think a bit of advanced planning would save some wait time.  RESERVATION NOT NEEDED.  BUT YOU CAN. 

Don't know if it varies by ship, but we will be on the Eurodam in May for an Alaskan cruise.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Answered in the text with the questions!

Edited by FlaMariner

Thank you FlaMariner for your quick response!  I agree that the traditional dining experience is awesome.  I know things have changed and I'm glad to hear that we would still have the same table and the same wait staff.

We were on the Westerdam - and earlier this week, Holland America cancelled our cruise and put us on the Eurodam.  I was very bummed to hear that the early dining times are all booked up!  I'm on a wait list since I do think that is the way we want to go. 

You can reserve a preferred early time every night using the online reservations. Not sure if it would guarantee you the same table or not. Then if you are able to get the early fixed dining, you can cancel your anytime reservations.

Online you can make MDR reservations for up to 6 persons at a number of times. I have already reserved 2 nights for our 6 family members cruising in July on Westerdam. You do not have to give names, just select the number from the drop-down list. Other nights DD, DS and their spouses prefer that we dine separately in the specialty restaurants or on shore (Juneau and Victoria).

18 minutes ago, arlsvera said:

I was very bummed to hear that the early dining times are all booked up!  I'm on a wait list since I do think that is the way we want to go. 

...All is not lost in your quest for early traditional dining......We've been waitlisted for early dining many, many times and we always seemed to get it.

.....seems like one time we did get traditional dining but it was in the anytime floor.

Enjoy the cruise....it's the best time to get out there!

Canadarocks and Cruise Suzy - thank you for the information.  I didn't know I could reserve a spot in the main dining room!

FlaMariner - when did you find out you got the early dining?  Before the cruise or on board?

• Like 1

We do not want to start dinner at 5:30 or 8:30 so we have always used any time dinning with HAL and we prefer to enter the MDR between 6:30 and 7:00pm, I do not recall ever having to wait for a table in the last 10 years, even on sold out cruises. 

• Like 1