Excursions for a Baltic Cruise

Whentocruise

On 2/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, Bruin Steve said:

First, go to the "Roll Call" boards and see if there's a roll call for this sailing...That will put you in touch with others on your precise sailing.  And where you will find anyone who may have scheduled a private tour in any port and looking for others to join...or where you can find others to join you in a private tour.

One big note:  For St. Petersburg, make sure you get onto a small group private tour...beats the heck out of the big bus cruise line shore excursions,  Last two times there, we used SPB Tours...they were very good.  We had very complete two-day private tours for eight that were less expensive than the cruise line excursions.  You can actually hear your guide in a small group and they move faster and get to more sights in the same time.  Very well organized...they provide group visas and pick you up at  the ship.

Good luck.

Highly recommend SPB tours. Used them for the 2 days in Russia also in Germany. Cheaper than the cruiselines tours.  We went to Berlin on an independent tour while another couple on our ship did it with the ship much more expensive and had to take a train both ways which was late therefore delayed them and they were so unhappy. This was in July 2016 and Europe had perfect weather that summer. 

15 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I mentioned this early and no one has commented. But there is a high chance of conflict/war with Russia invading Ukraine. I realize that is a bit far from St Petersburg and the Baltic States, but the US, UK and EU have been threatening major restrictions being placed on Russia if it does invade. Also, Russia has made big talk on how it use to ‘own’ Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. We are all very concerned about how the Pandemic has impacted our cruising and so on and many including me have canceled cruises, but no ‘concern’ over visiting a country on the very of engaging in a conflict that the US and EU and UK all condem and will take actions against if it occurs???

I’ve been in war zones and it ain’t pretty; I’ve been in countries that are fighting wars and not in the actual combat zone and it can be very dicey especially if you are Not considered supportive. 

Just something to think about. Hopefully this all just a bluff by Russia to get concessions and they will pull back………but Russia has already invaded a few of it neighbors. We did a Black Sea cruise and were probably one of the last to get to go to the Crimea before Russia took it…….you aren’t missing much by the way. Enjoyed Bulgaria and Rumania stops more.

den

Agree that this situation should definitely be on the radar of everybody signed up for a Baltic cruise this summer and particularly if visiting Russia.  The US and some EU countries and the UK might introduce travel restrictions to/from Russia.  Also the currency exchange rate with the Ruble might dramatically change so perhaps keep that in mind as well.

Just to be clear to anyone who has not done SPB before, you  do NOT need a visa if you are on a ship tour or one of the company tours with a Guide.

You  only need a visa if you are going off the ship to tour on your own.

This  might be obvious to those who have done these cruises, but I remember being confused about that before I went on our Baltic Cruise.

I absolutely agree with all of the posters who recommend doing a private tour rather than a ship tour. We toured with Alla Tours, and had a fantastic experience.

Also, that company gave discounts for tours with their company in the other Baltic cities that we stopped at. I imagine that the other big companies do this also.

42 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Also, that company gave discounts for tours with their company in the other Baltic cities that we stopped at. I imagine that the other big companies do this also.

If you organize the tours with SPB and have guests from your roll call join, you are eligible to get your tour for free.  Its very simple to do from any smartphone. Great way to meet your fellow cruisers.